Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey first timer here, I just picked up a 2001 Honda shadow aero vt1100c3 and I’m wondering what could be the cause of a delay in first gear only. I will start the bike warm it up and everything but when I get into first gear anytime when I’m riding there is a slight delay and then I’ll twist the throttle a bit more and it will kick in and I’ll start moving fast. Today I was riding and in first I didn’t give it that extra gas just a normal amount and it backfired a bit then kicked in and kept going normal. Otherwise the bike runs great idles fine sometimes does tiny pops when engine braking. Anyway if anyone has had a similar problem or has any ideas let me know. Thank you

·
Ace Tuner
3,555 Posts
When you say delay in first gear do you mean it seems to be running just fine but will not move when you first put it in gear and apply some throttle or that it might cough, sputter, hesitate, backfire and that before you can get it to go?

S F

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say delay in first gear do you mean it seems to be running just fine but will not move when you first put it in gear and apply some throttle or that it might cough, sputter, hesitate, backfire and that before you can get it to go?

S F
It will move a bit and get started but then it will sputter and hesitate at maybe 10 mph

·
Registered
388 Posts
So, basically nothing to do with the tranny but more of a fuel or electrical issue. It's carbureted so I would start with looking at fuel pump, air filter, fuel filter. Does it do it after it's warmed up?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, basically nothing to do with the tranny but more of a fuel or electrical issue. It's carbureted so I would start with looking at fuel pump, air filter, fuel filter. Does it do it after it's warmed up?
It always happens in first gear doesn’t matter if it’s warmed up or not sometime it happens a bit less but still can feel it

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
It might be related to a certain RPM range that you only really pass through in 1st gear. Or maybe load dependent. Try riding in a higher gear at low RPMs and try to induce the same thing. Like shift into 3rd gear and get the RPMs at like 1500 and then accelerate.

·
Registered
111 Posts
What does the bike idle at? I had a similar issue when I had too low an idle and the bike would struggle if load was introduced before the engine was getting much fuel. I believe your idle speed should be 1000rpm +/- 100.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What does the bike idle at? I had a similar issue when I had too low an idle and the bike would struggle if load was introduced before the engine was getting much fuel. I believe your idle speed should be 1000rpm +/- 100.
It does sound like it isles a bit low but how can I tell for sure?

·
Registered
111 Posts
There should be an idle adjustment screw - likely on the left side of the bike. With the bike running, turn it in (tighten it) a 1/4 turn and listen for the engine to speed up slightly. I don't know if your tach reads as low as 1000 rpm, mine doesn't and I have to do it by ear. I turn mine down (loosen it for lower rpm) until it starts to sound un even then back up to where it idles smooth +1/8 of a turn. If all else is correct with the bike that should be in the ball park.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There should be an idle adjustment screw - likely on the left side of the bike. With the bike running, turn it in (tighten it) a 1/4 turn and listen for the engine to speed up slightly. I don't know if your tach reads as low as 1000 rpm, mine doesn't and I have to do it by ear. I turn mine down (loosen it for lower rpm) until it starts to sound un even then back up to where it idles smooth +1/8 of a turn. If all else is correct with the bike that should be in the ball park.
I don’t have a tachometer so I’ll have to do it by ear, but does this mean it’s not bad to ride with the low idle?

·
Registered
111 Posts
No you can ride it no problem. It will just have a harder time staying running when you aren't giving it throttle. Really low and it will stall at stop lights when you are off the gas or if you cut the throttle quickly during a shift or something. Maybe a quick check of your throttle cable adjustment as well to have the correct amount of slack.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No you can ride it no problem. It will just have a harder time staying running when you aren't giving it throttle. Really low and it will stall at stop lights when you are off the gas or if you cut the throttle quickly during a shift or something. Maybe a quick check of your throttle cable adjustment as well to have the correct amount of slack.
Ok so today it was cold this morning and this was the first time the bike actually died on me, warmed it up idled no problem could rev it no problem slight delay but when when I put it in first and started to let the clutch out and give it gas it stalled, did it about 5 times and I had to give it a huge amount of gas just to get it back up my driveway. Could this be idle is too low or maybe a clogged pilot jet? What do you think

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Ok so today it was cold this morning and this was the first time the bike actually died on me, warmed it up idled no problem could rev it no problem slight delay but when when I put it in first and started to let the clutch out and give it gas it stalled, did it about 5 times and I had to give it a huge amount of gas just to get it back up my driveway. Could this be idle is too low or maybe a clogged pilot jet? What do you think
Do you mean it died, even with the clutch lever pulled, as soon as you popped it out of neutral?

Maybe your clutch is not fully releasing.

Also that would be worse when it's cold because rhe cold oil acts like glue on all the clutch discs. If the idle is low then maybe its just the drag of the cold oil making it stall, and the clutch is fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you mean it died, even with the clutch lever pulled, as soon as you popped it out of neutral?

Maybe your clutch is not fully releasing.

Also that would be worse when it's cold because rhe cold oil acts like glue on all the clutch discs. If the idle is low then maybe its just the drag of the cold oil making it stall, and the clutch is fine.
No I could pop it into gear no problems I could let off the clutch a bit like walk it but when I give it gas and start to go I don’t make it 5 feet before it stalls and I had to give it a ton of gas for it to make it back up the driveway. I found out that the last owner put a high flow k&n air filter on there but I do not think he messed with the jetting or mixture screw. Could this be the issue maybe I’m just running lean

·
Ace Tuner
3,555 Posts
I found out that the last owner put a high flow k&n air filter on there but I do not think he messed with the jetting or mixture screw. Could this be the issue maybe I’m just running lean
No. Changing to a K&N alone will not make it run lean.

Could this be idle is too low or maybe a clogged pilot jet? What do you think
Most likely more than just the pilot jet has clogging but the problem does sound like it is in the slow speed running circuit of the carburetors.

if you can ride it at all i would run some berrymans b12 thru the fuel system.
That might do it. Go by the instructions as for how much to use per gallon. May take a few full tanks.
If not then it's time for a full carb clean where you remove all jets and make sure all ports (passages) inside the carburetor bodies themselves are clean and totally clear.
You will need to re-set the carb synchronous after handling the carburetors. (With fresh spark plugs installed).

S F

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Low on vacuum maybe.

Your CV carburetors open using vacuum pressure.
There is a fix, it's called fuel injection (y)
:unsure: unless you involve vacuum controls on your Fi and then you end up with the same vacuum problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I tried the b12 and it seemed to get rid of 90% of the delay which is great. I never adjusted my idle, it sounds low but the bike never shuts off or anything, is it bad to have a low idle in general?

·
Ace Tuner
3,555 Posts
if you can ride it at all i would run some berrymans b12 thru the fuel system.
Good call slick. (y)
So I tried the b12 and it seemed to get rid of 90% of the delay which is great. I never adjusted my idle, it sounds low but the bike never shuts off or anything, is it bad to have a low idle in general?
Thanks for letting us know.
Run a few tanks w/B12. That might finish it up.
The B12 can't do anything for the air jets because they are not directly exposed to the fuel with B12 in it. Maybe the air jets are clear enough though.
The 'air cut off valves' are located on the outside side of each carburetor. They sometimes get clogged. I believe you can get to them without removing the carburetors. They are held on by two screws and are round in shape with a 'tab' looking projection at one side. You could remove them and do some air passage cleaning with B12 from a spray can.
There is a small O-ring under the tab/projection. Be carful that you do not lose it. There is a light duty spring that works with the rubber diaphragm in the air cut valve. Be ready to catch the cover when you remove the air cut cover screws. (If you decide, and need to go that far).

S F

1 - 20 of 25 Posts