Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the help and hopefully bringing some insight as to what motorcycle I should consider. Background for myself: I've never rode before (except when I got my license). I always wanted to get one (for a few years) but just never went ahead with it. I'm about 260, 5, 11".

So the bikes I am looking at (in my price range) are a 2004 Suzuki marauder 800 or 2004 Yamaha V star 650 Silverado. Any opinions on the two bikes? The type of riding I plan on doing is around country or suburbs. Don't plan on taking any road trips (as of yet).

Thanks!

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Either of those will do the job you need it to do. I would recommend sitting on both and seeing which one appeals to you more.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the help and hopefully bringing some insight as to what motorcycle I should consider. Background for myself: I've never rode before (except when I got my license). I always wanted to get one (for a few years) but just never went ahead with it. I'm about 260, 5, 11".

So the bikes I am looking at (in my price range) are a 2004 Suzuki marauder 800 or 2004 Yamaha V star 650 Silverado. Any opinions on the two bikes? The type of riding I plan on doing is around country or suburbs. Don't plan on taking any road trips (as of yet).

Thanks!
From a personal standpoint, I love my V-Star 650 for the city, just love the look and feel of this bike and parts and upgrades are everywhere for dirt cheap. I'm 6'3, 220lbs.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I also agree, go and sit on them and see which one fits you best. Have you taken the BRC? If not that is a good place to get some experience. Good Luck to you.

·
Registered
176 Posts
From a personal standpoint, I love my V-Star 650 for the city, just love the look and feel of this bike and parts and upgrades are everywhere for dirt cheap. I'm 6'3, 220lbs.
I totally agree with DanR, the only thing you need to consider is your weight range. You're about the same weight as me, and you MIGHT find that the 650 is a little lacking in power when on the highway. Just keep in mind the potential for reselling a V-star if you're planning on getting a 650. Maybe consider something a little larger. Another idea, is when sitting on either the suzuki or the yammy, try to pay attention to what muscles in your legs are feeling a little bit stretched. As an example on my Virago, I had to go through a metric cruiser website to get a set of "offset" highway pegs that gave me another 4" of leg room in order to be comfortable.
Pay mind to how your muscles in your legs and back stretch when you're sitting on a bike.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
I totally agree with DanR, the only thing you need to consider is your weight range. You're about the same weight as me, and you MIGHT find that the 650 is a little lacking in power when on the highway. Just keep in mind the potential for reselling a V-star if you're planning on getting a 650. Maybe consider something a little larger. Another idea, is when sitting on either the suzuki or the yammy, try to pay attention to what muscles in your legs are feeling a little bit stretched. As an example on my Virago, I had to go through a metric cruiser website to get a set of "offset" highway pegs that gave me another 4" of leg room in order to be comfortable.
Pay mind to how your muscles in your legs and back stretch when you're sitting on a bike.
I agree in regards to the power issue on the highway. This bike is perfect for the city commute with a bit of highway driving, but I sure wouldn't want to be doing long road trips with it.

Dan

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,513 Posts
That is the only complaint I had about my 650, It's legs were to short.

[/URL][/IMG]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts