Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding last week and my chain grabbed a plastic shopping bag and pulled it in. I managed to get some of it out but the rest is still jammed up inside. I need to take off the housing on the left side to clear the debris. Can i do this without draining the oil?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,502 Posts
Make and model of bike? This will help those that know that bike answer your question

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
Cover

I am going to guess you can take off the cover, without spilling any oil.
Is there a clutch cable attached to the small cover? What you may find is the screws will not turn very easily, and you require an impact driver. This will twist the screw when you whack it with a hammer. With all the screws out, you will probably need to wiggle the cover to pull it off.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
Here's the parts diagram:http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d3f212f8700230d8b4bd2a/crankcase-cover
The cover you need to remove is #22 - note that is does not have a gasket like #16 (which has gasket #17). Once you remove #22, you have full access to the front sprocket.
Note that the screws that hold it on are three different lengths; also, the drawing doesn't show if #31 holds small parts that may fall out.

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
Who

I managed to get some of it out but the rest is still jammed up inside.
Please clarify who owns the bike and or who is working on it. If there is still junk behind the front sprocket; loosen the rear axle and adjusters, kick the rear wheel forward, or use a big rubber hammer, undo the two 10mm head bolts holding on the front sprocket retainer and remove it. will require a twist. Pull the sprocket out with the chain on it. You should now have enough room to get at all the junk.

Bon chance. Unkle Crusty*

1 - 9 of 9 Posts