Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, currently in debate...
I've got a few I'm looking at, and I do plan on trying them out..but I was curious on an educated opinion from you guys.

Using a site called "Bikez" I got a lot of info on the ones I'm looking at, so I think I have at least a decent start.

1978 Suzuki GS 750 is the one I'm looking at tomorrow and trying, and it looks great. Only issue is it could use a new tire in the near future, but it comes with one. The one thing that keeps me from being all in about this, is I'm not too fond of the "Cafe racer" style seat. Is their slightly less flat and more cushioned seats I could buy, maybe aftermarket, for it?

The other two are an 86 and 83 Shadow..The 86 is a VT700 and the 83 a VT500.

In regards to buying a "bigger" bike for a first, I have been on the back of a few before just trying them out, the biggest was a 650. Didn't have any issues with it, but I am a bigger guy.

Looking for advice from you guys...Like I said, I've ridden a bit, but I've not owned one. Are any of these above mentioned bikes more high maintence? I'm pretty mechanically inclined and a close friend is a bike mechanic, so I have that covered.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
There may be an issue finding replacement parts, since some may be hard to find. I'm not sure if there are aftermarket seats for the GS that you can buy right off the shelf, but they can always be custom made by a seat shop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm also looking at other 80s-90s Honda and Suzuki. Currently, I have to admit, I quite like the 1980 Suzuki GS850L...But is 850 that much bigger that it'd be a big deal? As I stated, I've handled 650s, and found them okay. The main issue to me isn't really too much acceleration and power, but more so weight. That being said, I also turned down what I reaaaallly wanted....an 83 v65 Magna in mint condition at a great deal. Unfortunately, I know as amazing of a bike it is, it'd be about as bad as me hopping on a Hyabusa.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked at the weight and HP difference, and I am not really worried about it.

As for the seat..thanks for that, that is big to me. I really like the 78, but I may just hold out for a different one. I'll ride it tomorrow and know if I want it or not, I'm sure. My issue is...to me, I want a bike I can take on a nice long ride. 4-5 hours for a Sunday I have off just to cruise...Maybe even when I'm plenty experienced, cross country. I love touring bikes, but they seem awful heavy and bulky. I am sure one probably isn't too good for a first ride.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
A lot of people are really into the custom cafe style, but personally l am not really interested in buying someone else's custom bike. I would rather buy something stock and then customize it as l choose. Also, when something goes wrong, you may find issues with getting parts because they took stuff off of other years/models etc. That is just my 2 cents.

That V65 would be fun, but it is a lot of bike. FWIW l had a V40 Sabre (same motor) and it had more than enough power than you would ever need.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts