Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There he was, next to the battery shop, seat off looking at the battery. We were both on the big island. I stopped, wrong side of a side road. Big guy, fists and forearms twice as big as George Foreman, beer belly. Nice touch I though. He showed me, turn the key, press the button, nuttin. Headlight was bright and did not dim. I asked if he had touched the kill switch. Nope ( new owner, he did not know about the kill switch, more later ) I took his word on that. Said we need to start at the battery, find the main fuse, find the relay / solenoid, find and kick the starter. He knew about thumping the starter. Must be a farm boy, a big farm boy. Could have used him when we used to get hay. I parked Bluzu, took my helmet off, and directed him to check here, and here, and here. 12.75 volts at the battery, and close to that at the big wyre on the starter. No volts at the scraggly green wyre to the starter when the starter button was pressed. I surmised the solenoid must be inside, but we needed to trace the green wyre back, which would be fun as it is buried.

I decided I needed my glasses to peek around. Found a switch on the RH bar. In very hard to read letters, it said RUN. Wots this I asked, and flicked the switch. Ham fists, turned the key on, pressed the button, and the tractor fired. We returned the volt meter. I told him road side assistance is usually $50, but a bunch of beer would be okay. Friday night was scheduled.

Here is the sad part. The golf club was closed for a private function. No beer, no burger, no darts. I am feeling rather distraught.

UK

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Don't feel bad now, you know there's another guy that will stop if he sees you on the side of the road some day. And from the way you described him, he could probably load your bike in the back of a pickup, if necessary. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sometimes, just the personnel gratification is the best. You know you helped someone in need and I am sure he appreciated the education.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,500 Posts
That damn kill switch will get you. It got me once in a group ride. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Reactions: Retired Guy

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I think the kill switch is a good idea, there just needs to be a bright, flashing light on the instrument cluster when its activated. Would give real definition to the term "idiot light". :oops:

·
Registered
224 Posts
You did good. That good deed will be returned to you some day. I use my kill switch but some don't. Its worse when you pull on a big engine on a snowmobile for a minute or two before realizing your kill switch is off!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts