Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to ride my new-to-me Triumph Scrambler to work this morning. I forgot to pull the choke and it didn't fire right up, and cranking was weak. Pulled choke and then tried to start it...no juice. I live on a hill so I compression started it, let it warm up a bit, and then rode to work. I was a bit worried that it wouldn't start again. I sent a text message to the seller asking him how old it was. He said he didn't know, but that he hadn't ridden it over the winter. Also said there was a tender setup on it. He didn't say that it had been on a tender all winter, so that suggested to me that it hadn't...he was using his tender for his other bikes. This is just my speculation.

After work it started up but wasn't real strong. I also needed gas. Went to the gas station up the hill, filled up and she did start again. This tells me that riding it probably was charging it up, so it's probably fine.

Then my common sense kicked in. The seller didn't know how old the battery was, which means he didn't put it in. He bought the bike 2 years ago, which means it is AT LEAST 2 years old...but if the guy he bought it from had just put it in, surely he would have told him, and he made no mention of that. Just by my basic deductions I decided the battery is too old for me to feel good about so I bought a new one. I decided to try the Motobatt Quadflex. It has 4 terminals so you can flip it around either way. It also allows you to set up accessories on the other two terminals, which keeps things cleaner and you don't end up with a hodgepodge of wires and **** all over the place.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,918 Posts
Not familiar with this Battery but have seen a few that have 4 terminals and think is a great option especially if add a few accessories of your own ..

·
Biker
1,624 Posts
Well Fiskenmorder, when a person sells a bike they don't usually buy a new battery for it, and that goes for dealers too.
When I bought the Sporty from Port Richey, FL. H-D they took the bike in on trade, it started up fairly well when salesman
Geoffrey Blackman showed me the bike, probably had it on a charger for a few days. BUT the ignition sw. was probably the
original as key was it was so worn key could be taken out in 'ON' position. Well for a week or so I was just riding around
the block, came back to the house to do a few things, come back out an headlight still on but not by much, I'm looking at
the key in my hand and wondering how this was and checked it, yup key could be put in ig. sw. in 'ON' position.

So I figured that is why the battery was low so often, taken key out and bike still on. I decided to take battery out and
put on a charger for a day or so and in meantime, get another switch. I take battery out and see that 3 of 6 cells have half
the electrolyte in them, other 3 have between a third and a quarter, wonder the bike even started. I decided to get a new
battery and what a difference, Rosie still needed a tune-up but ran good enough to bop around the area till I got my pay
check then went an had carb pulled, taken apart an cleaned out and air cleaner serviced and new plugs properly gapped.

I don't think the battery in the Wide glide I bought new lasted more than three days after 2 yrs. A small red electrical
mal-functions light would come on at times and only went out when a new battery was put in. I had the battery on the
charger for two days and rode bike to ThunderBay to have it checked with a digital read-out load tester, man I tell ya
that load tester, you type in rated battery amps then the tester knows how to figure what % of battery is left. turned out
to be close to 70%,

·
American Legion Rider
26,013 Posts
I figure a battery and tires are a given for needing replaced in a used bike. Just part of the deal.

·
So long
2,739 Posts
If the seller had multiple bikes chances are he'd put the weakest battery in the one he's selling.

So how did it feel to be riding again?

·
Biker
1,624 Posts
So Fiskenmorder, how is everything NOW? Does she whip right over like she is s'posed to?
A good battery will not only whip over the starter but give a lot hotter spark. Did you change oil and
other fluids? Primary/Tranny oil filter, Do that now and keep a record of it, that way you know from the
beginning w/ this bike what's been done, service air-cleaner?

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not familiar with this Battery but have seen a few that have 4 terminals and think is a great option especially if add a few accessories of your own ..
Yeah. It already has a tender, and at some point I plan to do a fender eliminator kit with modulating brake lights. And then if something else comes along, it's a no brainer.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I figure a battery and tires are a given for needing replaced in a used bike. Just part of the deal.
Agreed. I wasn't complaining. Just talking through my thought process and how I came to decide to just replace it and not think about it again.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the seller had multiple bikes chances are he'd put the weakest battery in the one he's selling.

So how did it feel to be riding again?
I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense.

Riding again felt great!!! Just a 10 mile commute so I haven't gotten to unwind and go yet, but I had fun. My bike is a very relaxed ride, something I'm not used to after having sport bikes. I like it. I could get used to this :)

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So Fiskenmorder, how is everything NOW? Does she whip right over like she is s'posed to?
A good battery will not only whip over the starter but give a lot hotter spark. Did you change oil and
other fluids? Primary/Tranny oil filter, Do that now and keep a record of it, that way you know from the
beginning w/ this bike what's been done, service air-cleaner?
Well this all just happened yesterday, so no, I haven't done anything. I did buy oil/filter and an air filter, and a battery online last night. I will do that stuff soon and yes, I will document it all. I have a spiral notebook with everything for each vehicle I own.

·
Biker
1,624 Posts
Good start Fisky, makes it much easier to know when oil changes air cleaner service is due, keeps bike up to snuff.
When I bought the Snorty, my brother Mark bought me the shop manual, Then I started writing down when I did
maint. now I also write it on puter's notepad with Sporty maint. heading, same for the Wide Glide.

·
American Legion Rider
26,013 Posts
I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense.

Riding again felt great!!! Just a 10 mile commute so I haven't gotten to unwind and go yet, but I had fun. My bike is a very relaxed ride, something I'm not used to after having sport bikes. I like it. I could get used to this :)
Now you see why those of us on cruiser/tourer bikes can ride for days and enjoy it and don't understand that bent over sport thing.:smile_big:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Just an FYI for future reference. It's easy to find out how old a battery is. They have info stamped on the battery. Sometimes they are harder to decode and you need to call the manufacturer. They will tell you.

·
Biker
1,624 Posts
So Fiskens, this mean you got new battery in bike and she runs GREAT ? If so, 2 thumbs up!
I have seen some sport bikes, rather high and saddle was plastic, like that's gonna feel good
after a few hours. I came to the conclusion that with my body height an weight, the Sporty and
Wide Glide work just great. A friend of mine gave up his sport bike with a hard saddle, says, "One
could get hemeroids the size of doorknobs", got a Suzuki M90 and loves it.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now you see why those of us on cruiser/tourer bikes can ride for days and enjoy it and don't understand that bent over sport thing.:smile_big:
Yes, absolutely!!!! Although l rode a small cruiser with forward pegs in my class. l didn't care for that riding position. But this is nice and neutral and l am enjoying it.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just an FYI for future reference. It's easy to find out how old a battery is. They have info stamped on the battery. Sometimes they are harder to decode and you need to call the manufacturer. They will tell you.
Good to know!!! Where is the stamp? I looked all over mine and couldn't find the 6 digit code that other people online are talking about. I am in the process of building a battery station for all my batteries and chargers. I figure I can keep the old battery and put it on a tender there and have a spare for whatever projects might come along.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So Fiskens, this mean you got new battery in bike and she runs GREAT ? If so, 2 thumbs up!
I have seen some sport bikes, rather high and saddle was plastic, like that's gonna feel good
after a few hours. I came to the conclusion that with my body height an weight, the Sporty and
Wide Glide work just great. A friend of mine gave up his sport bike with a hard saddle, says, "One
could get hemeroids the size of doorknobs", got a Suzuki M90 and loves it.
Yes, new battery works great! The bike doesn't fire up immediately though...I'm guessing I am just used to fuel injected bikes starting up immediately. For you guys with carbeurated bikes, do you have to twist the throttle a bit to get them to fire off? I bought a K&N air cleaner to swap out and I'm thinking that might help as well.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,538 Posts
No throttle just the choke.

·
Registered
454 Posts
My carb bike starts right up. No need for throttle. K &n could change your air. It can make a difference in how it runs. You're giving it more air. Sometimes you don't notice, but on my bike it makes a difference. On the battery.... Look harder. If it's not stamped look for some small dials that look like clocks. I've never seen a battery without some thing on there. These are on the bottom of an interstate

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts