Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It occurs to me, that we are in the middle to tail end of the Daytona Bike Week as I write this, on the 13th of March.

How many of you are there right now, or went there this year???

I'm looking for event reports from the scene........

Pictures, Videos, Commentary.......help those of us who were unable to attend, live the experience thru your eyes & ears...........tell us about the smells and bells; bikes and whatever..........

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I usually try to take a few pics and post a few comments to kind of share some of the fun, but I'm not going to take any videos or waste a whole lot of time writing up reports or anything like that. During Bike Week we're out enjoying the party, not documenting it. :)

And anyway, what happens at Bike Week stays at Bike Week.:biggrin:

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Party Pooper!!! I've been watching the Bar for some pictures.

I really thought you would be posting to the Scantily dressed men thread. ;) :D :D

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
Went on a Monday hoping for lesser crowds and was far better for me than last year when went on a Saturday ..

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MONI: What's the link for the Bar Cam you are referring to.

Eye: If it's THAT bad there, I'm glad I DON'T go!!

Gator: Pictures man, pictures!!!

-Soupy

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Live video feed from one of the main streets at the Daytona Bike Week: (it shifts from looking up the street, to looking down the street, periodically)

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Yup, that's Main St. The view with the big beer bottles is the Boot Hill Saloon and the white building is Main Street Station. (Some friends keep us a parking spot behind that building.) When it shifts it's looking East towards the ocean which is a few blocks down.

Looks pretty quiet so far this morning. It'll be busier tonight. We usually like to sit at Dirty Harry's on the last Sunday and people watch as everyone starts to roll out of town.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure where they have that camera mounted, but thanks for the details on the location "Eye."

-Soupy

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
P.S.: Eye..........

Daytona (at least from this street view) seems a bit more subdued than Sturgis (at least in terms of the sidewalkers and the girls on the backs of the bikes).

Does Daytona hold a tighter rein on the level of craziness, or keep it to the bars and back lots?

When I watch videos of Sturgis, it seems that wild and crazy folks are more prevalent?! Your thoughts?

It seems, by the live video feed, that more folks spend most of their time cruising the strip with no place to park, than those who park and walk around!

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
The level of craziness depends on your location and the time of day. Main Street is fairly laid back, and is more like a big cruising strip then a Biker party. The Iron Horse, while one of our favorite places, has gotten pretty normal too. Some other places go off the chain pretty easily and can get indecent before you can turn around. :)

The thing about Daytona Bike Week is that it is spread out, and you have to know where to go, depending on what you want to do. If you want to get your feet wet and want to experience a "bike event" in a safe and secure environment you go to Main Street. If you want to look at vendors and talk to some vendor techs, you go to Destination Daytona. If you want to check out all the latest bikes and gear from several manufacturers, and take a test ride or two, you go to the Speedway. The Iron Horse is also a safe place to go, but a little more fun because they don't have to worry about the crap the city comes up with. (I'd put the main drag in Sturgis as somewhere between the above two.)

If you want to have even more fun there are places for that too.:wink:

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been looking at today's (Sunday's) Live Feed........seems to still be attracting a crowd. I guess since it is still "the weekend."

I would love to hear some numbers from the Vendors, about their revenue stream for the week. I'll bet it drops off during the weekdays. Makes me wonder if they would do better having a Friday thru Monday kind of event, rather than attempting a week long event?!

The more I watch the Live Stream, I'm convinced that if I was a "local," I would probably go on one of the days; buy a few things in some of the local stores, and get out.

-Soupy

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
I'd want to go with Eye & Ms Eye. It sounds like they know where to go for fun. I enjoy going to bike rallies and people watching while I drink a little. ;)

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I took a few pictures for your Soupy, and I'll upload them this week. (I took one of the live cam too. Sort of a picture of you looking at us. Lol.)

Here's a video I found from early last week. This was shot mostly at Dirty Harry's, where we like to sit on the last Sunday and watch people start out of town. (It's kind of our Main St perch during Bike Week.) Like I said it's pretty tame down there now and kind of a family oriented thing, but it's still fun. This will give you a real good idea of what Main Street is like during the week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O28YnsrqZQs

·
American Legion Rider
23,698 Posts
Did it look like attendance was down this year? Seems winter had a heavy hand this year late. Was wondering if it showed in attendance.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
It did seem like it was a little slower. The first weekend was jam-packed at most of the venues, but during the week it was pretty slow everywhere. This past weekend seemed a little slower then normal too. I don't know what the official figures are, but it seemed that way.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,370 Posts
Nice looking 58' panel in that vid.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts