Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,305 Posts
Thanks for the travel video!:smile_big:

Looking at your Harley really brings back memories of my Electra Glide touring and the great trips we took!:wink2:

Sam:nerd:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Porky, I noticed you ride a BMW. I went to the BMW store and had a horrible experience. I seriously considered buying one, I watched the videos of the K 1600B and I wanted to test ride one. I go to the Local BMW Motard Dealer and before I even sat down on the bike he told me that I was too tall for it. I never met a more discouraging salesperson in my life. Without him inviting me to, I sat on the Bike. The footboards weren't placed where it was comfortable for me to ride, it looked like they where part of the lower fairing. I reluctantly asked, are the footboards adjustable or do they make something that puts them lower and further away? The guy says to me "BMW makes Motorcycles for regular size people". I kinda of laughed and thought to myself, this has to be the worst Motorcycle Salesman ever. Maybe I expected more because I use to be a Motorcycle Salesman, and if you came to my dealership looking for a bike and discovered that particular model was the wrong one for you, I would try to find you another solution. So long story short, I want to test ride a BMW K 1600B but it will not be at my local BMW Motard Dealership. Now that needless rambled on about my experience, I wanted to say Nice Bike!
Thanks for watching.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,305 Posts
In a way, maybe the Beemer salesman was doing you a favor by being honest:smile_big:

I have had Soooo many bikes, mostly new, and dealt with salesmen from educated and informed, to just 'thick as a brick,' having little to no knowledge about their product.:crying:

I don't have a BMW now but my last one was their flagship touring bike, the K1200LTC, with every accessory available except A/C, that I really wanted:grin: Ergonomics were 99% perfect and I loved everything about the bike.:smile:

The one that I had right before the K1200, was a 1999 R1100GS and as I look back fondly, I believe it was the epitome of the 'do anything bike,' that lots of us aspire to. Ergonomics were spot on for this tall and well fed Boy:grin:

The other's were all great Beemer's: 1984 R80RT classic, 1987 R65s, and a 1995 R100RT classic, one of the highly collectible ones.

Your bike would be fantastic for me and I see myself on a new Harley again, soon as I can sell my two bikes, both of which are so 'keepable,' it makes me sick to think of selling them but I had a paradigm shift not long ago when I rode my JAP bike to attend a Harley Patriots Rally at a large HD dealership in Joplin, Missouri.

I got my OLD Harley Davidson leather vest out of the back of my closet, dusted it off and put it over an old HD T-shirt, put on my old blue Jeans, leather HD half gloves and proceeded to the dealership and parked on the fringes being on my 2014 CTX1300D, it being lost in a Sea of Harley's.

I am well known at the dealership as I had bought a new bike from them in 2010 and had bought parts and service from them since 1991 AND I visit them quite often when my bike blood sugar is low and partake of the EYE CANDY, to raise it up:grin:

I blended in with the crowd and was accepted right away as my VEST in typical Harley fashion, had patches all over it, with my Hog chapter rocker, plastered all across the back of my prodigious shoulders, along with my United States Veteran patch and my MIA patch, my ABATE patch and all the STURGIS, 4 Corners and other rallies I had attended, proudly displayed:smile_big:

After the Rally, as I walked back to my JAP bike, I couldn't stop thinking about Patriotism and as I reflected on the fact that MOST all of my 85 bikes to date have been produced by the past: EVIL AXIS; Germany, Japan and Italy:surprise::surprise::surprise: (My Triumphs were okay I guess):smile_big:

Bye the way, in comparison to your Harley, the BMW K1600 series of bikes are maintenance nightmares, especially when the non-hydraulic, valves require adjustment!:surprise:

I'm seriously looking at the Tri-Glide or the Freewheeler, since I am not getting any younger:smile_big:

Sam:nerd:

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
Hey, even I like that Freewheeler. It's not just a girls Tri-Glide. I was shocked that they decided to stop producing it. Just to turn around and do it again. That's more proof that HD management doesn't have a clue.

But I know of 12 model TG with an extra $10k in accessories that really has my name on it. Those 12's are great machines in my book. But it's black. Or I think I'd be riding it right now. I know you have to have NEW bikes Sam but those new prices for TG's are just way too far up there for this old fart.

Reactions: Porky

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,305 Posts
Me too Larry!

Prices as you know are totally out of control and if it wasn't for LONG term and liberal financing, few new NICE cars, trucks and Motorcycles would be sold.

The Tri-Glide I like is right at $38,000 plus:surprise: Freewheeler @ about $28,000:surprise: Way to RICH for even my blood!

Sales of these two units are increasing exponentially as we 'Seasond Citizens age and want something that we don't have to worry about falling over on us.:smile_big:

The 'Old Foggy' stigma is mostly gone when the 3 wheel Harley's show up at a rally as most people know what's going on and know if they eat well and take care of themselves they, too may also last long enough to get a beautiful piece of equipment and be out in the wind when they reach 'maturity!':grin:

Sam:angel:

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
Yeah, my wife is pushing hard for me to stop being bullheaded and just get or do something. But she's pushing for an F3 Spyder Limited. I'm fighting it tooth and nail. But I'm getting tired of the fight. These crazy prices are working for me right now. But even a conversion will set us back by $18,000+/-. I've priced that in pretty good detail. It's crazy. They got us and they know it. Landing gear is looking better and better fo me just to get my wife off my back.:grin:

Reactions: Porky
1 - 7 of 7 Posts