Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is everybody? I am a brand new rider, just bought my first bike yesterday, an '04 Ninja 250. I am taking the MSF course next weekend and will be getting my M1 soon after. This forum was a lot of help for me to decide what I wanted to start out with. I can see myself eventually riding a 600cc supersport but for now I think the 250 will suit me fine.

I just have a 12 mile commute round trip everyday so I am looking forward to using about a gallon of gas a week, much better than my wife's V8 Touareg that drinks about $100 of gas in the same week.

I used Craig's List to find a good used Apline Stars riding jacket and gloves and I just went to Escondio Cycle Center and bought my HJC helmet and my mandatory Icon MilSpec reflective vest. Thats what sucks about riding while in the military, all the extra rules. But ECC is great, gives a 15% military discount on everything but bikes.

I hope to ride for a long time and I think I am doing everything as safely as I can for now. I look forward to reading what everyone has to say.

L

·
0 Posts
Unofficial Welcome Wagon

Morning Schmidty86 and welcome to the Forum! :D

Sounds like to me you're doing all the Right things in the Right order - keep up the good work!

LRG :cool:

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
A 250's a good starter size and S.Cal. is a great place for a biker to live. Hope you enjoy our forums, and have some stories to tell when you get on the road. Welcome.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Hello Schmidty86, and welcome to the site! I don't get any discounts for it - but I keep a dayglow reflective vest handy in my tank bag. Whenever I head into heavy traffic or low vis conditions (rain) - it goes on.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gumby, the base I am on requires a reflective vest at all times of the day, regardless of visibility, so like it or not I wear one too.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Welcome to the forum, schmidty. I was a loadmaster in a C-130 unit for 19 years, and I've been there many times. Boy, you're in a good area for riding all year! It's good to have you!

·
Out Standing In His Field
582 Posts
my mandatory Icon MilSpec reflective vest.
Welcome to the forum, I frequently wear a visibility vest as when I wear it, I get less stink-eye from the wife since I'm going out and having fun without her. She says she wants me to be safe, though I sometimes wonder if she just wants to keep my nerd factor high. Not that it isn't up there already. Even with the minimal amount of Military presence in Oregon, I see a lot of bikers commuting with visibility vests, it really makes a rider stand out on the rainy days, and the amount of retroreflective area on them makes them show an night as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts