Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some very light motorcycles. I have heard that covering a motorcycle makes it prone to gusts of wind knocking it over. Is this a legit concern? Any other dangers? Anyone have first hand experience of a knocked over bike?

·
American Legion Rider
25,914 Posts
Well I have but not my bike. Was also a lot of things that helped. First it was one of our west Texas dust storm type winds. Second the guy didn't pay attention to the slight but noticeable grade where he parked and the bike was almost standing straight up as the kickstand was down on the high side. So several things lead to it. He was a rather new rider and it was his first bike and new and covered and parked because that's all he had a place for it he said later. There wasn't any damage though. Probably because it was a light bike. Although the wind by itself may have done it.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I guess in theory there is a danger, but it would have to be an exceptionally powerful wind or a combination of wind plus a less-than-ideal parking situation -- bad angle, or maybe a kickstand on a soft spot. I would think that in most circumstance the possibility of damage to an uncovered bike -- from all sorts of sources -- would be far greater than the possibility of a cover causing the damage.

Last fall while we were off in Maine, a near-hurricane tropical storm swept through our home town. My CBR300R was stowed under an open carport with a light cover on it. When we got home two trees just behind our property were down, and all sorts of debris was blown in to the yard and in to the carport itself -- but the bike still sat there where I had left it, dry and completely undamaged.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
I've seen it happen before. However, it can be mitigated or prevented. I park the bike so that the wind will blow against the stand, engage first gear, and if an incline is involved I'll make sure it isn't pointing downhill. And if the cover fits loosely, I'll grab a strap and tie it around the bike. That way the cover can't become a sail.

·
Driftless Rider
1,554 Posts
Yes, my girlfriend's CB750 has blown over ( a few times, actually) in strong winds with the cover on it.

Full disclosure though, the cover was too big for the bike and the kickstand on a '79 CB 750K makes it stand very upright.

We found a kickstand off another model CB that is a bit shorter so I has a bit more lean when parked, and got a proper sized cover with more tie-downs and it hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
501 Posts
This happened to me, once, with a 1982 BMW R100/7. It was on the center stand, on level ground, shrouded in an appropriately sized cover. After a storm one night, I emerged to find the bike tipped over. The left cylinder head was cracked. This was no big deal, as that was a $40 part back then and attached with three screws. Even I could fix it.

I would characterize that bike as a bit top heavy, though, especially mounted on the center stand.

It is still in my step-Dad's garage. Been there for 18 years. I should dig it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts