Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today at 7AM I got up to walk the dog, and noticed it was 36 degrees. Stepped outside and damn snowflakes were coming down! The snow didn't stick, but here it is only Oct 4 and apparently winter is well on its way. I'm not ready to cover the bike yet, but its clear that riding season is almost over for me. I'm getting too old to let close to half a year go by each year without being able to ride my motorcycle, but for now I am stuck here in northern Illinois. With 4 of my 5 kids, and 8 of my 10 grandchildren living within less than 2 hours of my home I'm afraid that moving south is not a real option, but where the hell is global warming when you need it!

·
Registered
943 Posts
.... where the hell is global warming when you need it!
Yup, we had that yesterday. I needed to go to the village 12 miles away for a few things and would like to have taken the Shadow but it was cold, windy, and raining so I took the truck. By the time I was heading home, it was snowing pretty good. All I could think of was

NO! NOT YET!!! :mad:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Dang. Sorry fellas and ladies. You all may not want to hear this but I took a nice ride this morning in nice 60ish weather. However as consolation I put my lining in. :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
58* high here today....supposed to be in the upper 70's again later this week....but then drop off again, and more rain coming, I'll be putting the bike away around the middle of the week....but we usually have some nice days during the winter...I don't think I've went more than a week without riding (due to weather alone) since I bought my first bike in '08

·
Registered
245 Posts
Too early for snow here in CT, although I have been caught in a 2 or 3 inch flurry in October of years past....
Real snow (12 inches and up) usually visit around late Dec/Jan and stay until Mar/Apr....not too bad...

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
Its been very cold and wet here the past couple weeks. No snow yet, though. This has honestly been a pretty crappy year. It rained here almost everyday. Plus it seemed to stay in the 60s and low 70s all season. I can count the days on one hand, and not use all the fingers, that I was comfortably able to ride without a hoodie and/or leather. Even when it wasn't raining, it was very cloudy. There were very few sunny days.

Looking outside, it seems like its getting near the time to bring the bikes back inside the kitchen... :(

·
Registered
245 Posts
Today looks like a good day to do an ops check on my winter riding gear (heated jacket liner, heated gloves, visor defroster, etc. on my recently acquired VFR...

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
It was only 60 on the beach this morning at sunrise. Arctic conditions! Luckily, the seawater temperature was about 80, so at least my legs were warm.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Arctic conditions LMAO!!!! We have about the same conditions here,rode yesterday morning about 60 degrees was awesome and probably be back on her after church sorry about your luck up north.MORE LEATHER!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
45 here and I'm bundling up for a ride. I have to be nuts....but I didn't ride yesterday due to pouring rain so I've already got the jitters....

·
7,030 Posts
Vito, global warming is alive and well inside the heads of the uneducated and those with overt political agendas that want to foment socio/ economic and political change upon the masses.

It's not so bad yet here in SW Missouri and the Wing with it's heated seat, grips and heating foot vents helps to make the chilly morning ride bearable.

I lived most of my life in Southern Calif and me and my friends could ride all year long so I miss that!

Sam:)

·
Registered
245 Posts
45 here and I'm bundling up for a ride. I have to be nuts....but I didn't ride yesterday due to pouring rain so I've already got the jitters....
It's warmed up now..around mid 50's...I'm going to twist the wrist in 30 minutes...should be fine, no heating needed...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
It was a little chilly this morning when I headed out. Fingers where the only thing to get cold. Gotta find a warmer pair of gloves. A bandana tied around the neck and tucked in under the jacket does wonders to keep the neck/face area warm. The ride home was nice though. Not too warm, but not cold neither. I can deal with the 50's.

·
Registered
245 Posts
It was a little chilly this morning when I headed out. Fingers where the only thing to get cold. Gotta find a warmer pair of gloves. A bandana tied around the neck and tucked in under the jacket does wonders to keep the neck/face area warm. The ride home was nice though. Not too warm, but not cold neither. I can deal with the 50's.
I took 89 to 44 to 197/198 and jumped on I-84 to exit 67, took 31 (I think) down to 44 and back to 89, then up to home. Around 60+ miles. Not bad for an afternoon. Weather was great and I got to know the bike a bit better (just got it last week). Nice ride, saw about 7 or 8 two wheelers and a goldwing trike. Now I'm doing a BBQ with some brew on the deck, with 80's slow rock on Pandora...good close to a nice lazy weekend....

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Didn't quite go that far myself. Went and visited with Dad for a bit a few towns over. Showed Dad how bad his rotors where, he's been driving around without his hearing aids in and couldn't hear the metal to metal grinding. Tommorows project.... Then down to the inlaws house. Stopped and had a cup of coffee with a bunch of other bikers in the lot. Nice peeps. Came home and got a few hours sleep before heading to work early tonight.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts