Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm Spyderboy from Central Florida. I just bought my first bike this monday and you can't even fathom the hassles I went through to bring it home. The bike is 150 miles from my house and being a cycle virgin, I don't know how to ride one. With a limited budget (i'm still a student, a 30 years old student!!!!), I managed to find a truck and drove to get the bike.... To my surprise, the owner ramp broke, so I had to get planks of wood and made a make-shift ramp. I don't know how I managed to push the bike up the ramp (the engine stalls at idle).

Well, half way up the ramp, I heard cracking noises and somehow I found super human strength to safe my first bike and pushed it up the ramp. Long story short, I contacted a local mechanic near my home and was able to drop off the bike at his shop at 9pm... he's a cool guy from Cycle Pro in Orlando.

Well long story shorter, the bike doesn't seem to have any major issues and I should get it back this Saturday.... yay....

Now, I'm on a quest to purchase a helmet. I want a quality helmet but I only have around $100. So if you know a brand that's decent, please let me know..... I can't wait to get on the bike.... next mission is to sell whatever I have so I can get riding lesson ( i asked a local Harley Davidson place and they charge $219.)

So please, if you're ever in the east Orlando area, near waterford, and feel like passing on some valuable experience to a young ( and I mean very young) rider, please pm me.

Thank you soooooooo much

Spyderboy

·
Registered
434 Posts
I hope your adventure getting your bike home isn't a portent of things to come. Welcome aboard. There are lots of helmets out there for well under $100.00 so you will have no problem there. It's good that you are looking into an mc course. In my day the guy you bought the bike from showed you the gear pattern and what the various parts did and then you were on your own.
That was fun but I have found the sink or swim method of learning is too painful.
Have fun.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi,

I'm Spyderboy from Central Florida. I just bought my first bike this monday and you can't even fathom the hassles I went through to bring it home. The bike is 150 miles from my house and being a cycle virgin, I don't know how to ride one. With a limited budget (i'm still a student, a 30 years old student!!!!), I managed to find a truck and drove to get the bike.... To my surprise, the owner ramp broke, so I had to get planks of wood and made a make-shift ramp. I don't know how I managed to push the bike up the ramp (the engine stalls at idle).

Well, half way up the ramp, I heard cracking noises and somehow I found super human strength to safe my first bike and pushed it up the ramp. Long story short, I contacted a local mechanic near my home and was able to drop off the bike at his shop at 9pm... he's a cool guy from Cycle Pro in Orlando.

Well long story shorter, the bike doesn't seem to have any major issues and I should get it back this Saturday.... yay....

Now, I'm on a quest to purchase a helmet. I want a quality helmet but I only have around $100. So if you know a brand that's decent, please let me know..... I can't wait to get on the bike.... next mission is to sell whatever I have so I can get riding lesson ( i asked a local Harley Davidson place and they charge $219.)

So please, if you're ever in the east Orlando area, near waterford, and feel like passing on some valuable experience to a young ( and I mean very young) rider, please pm me.

Thank you soooooooo much

Spyderboy
Congratulations on the bike. By the way, what kind of bike is it?

The going rate for the BRC or Rider's Edge courses around here seems to be about $220-240. It's a requirement for obtaining your motorcycle endorsement for your license, but the good news is that once you complete the class, you don't have to do anything at the DMV but show up, pay a small fee and have a new license with the endorsement printed.

Matt

First, congratulations on the new bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi,

Well, half way up the ramp, I heard cracking noises and somehow I found super human strength to safe my first bike and pushed it up the ramp.
Situation normal. I broke the ramp I had pieced together to load my bike up and sprained my risk badly trying to keep the bike from dumping over. Ended out selling my kayak because the next season my wrist was still too wacked out to paddle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
MSF courses

Welcome fellow central Fl rider! I've been riding based out of the polk county area for about 14,000 miles now. I took the safety course in Lake Wales, and I seem to remember it being in the neighborhood of $200, so it sounds like the prices you were quoted are fair. I would suggest looking on msf-usa.com for the cheapest course near you. Many of them provide small bikes for beginners so you don't dump your new bike on the way to your first class. They put me on a kawasaki 125cc when I went. It felt like a toy but was great to learn on. If you have any beginner-type questions or are looking for a group to ride with, let me know. I think about half my neighborhood has bikes and they are always looking for new riders.

W

·
0 Posts
wellcome here!!

dirt bike & things 250cc under a 2x6 new plank will hold.
2x8 up to sportsters i,ve done.3x8 better
any thing heaver goes on a trailer low to the ground.

if you were not useing heavy lumber to load it they do brake and bikes do fall over even killing the odd person.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you had an adventure just picking the bike up. Hopefully, things will go smoother from here on out.

·
Knees 2 the breeze!
3,445 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Southern Illinois!
God bless & ride safe!
Daddio

·
Registered
267 Posts
Welcome to the board.

Check THH for a helmet. DOT & Snell approved and should be in or around your $100 mark. I found mine on EBay. One word of caution... Don't buy a used helmet because of a great price you can get. The foam in the helmet will conform to your head over time! Meaning, if the helmet was worn frequently by someone else, it won't fit your head like it should. Plus - once a helmet has been dropped (they say 2 feet), you should look to replace it.

My best advice... Find an open parking lot and try it... That's how I started my riding in April of last year. I bought the bike without knowing how to ride... And I cruised around in the dealer lot for 10~ minutes until I felt comfortable with jumping on the road.

Be careful. And enjoy!

·
Motorcycling Unplugged !!
1,260 Posts
welcome to the forum. The subsidised MSF course in my state costs $125 .. should be something similar in your state too... check it out.

and congrats on your new bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts