Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my bike running and I took it on a victory lap yesterday (4 laps around the neighborhood) and it ran perfectly. Then today I got home from work and went to take it out again and I turned it over just fine, revved it in neutral, no problems, pulled in the clutch and put it in first, started to let off the clutch, and it died right at the friction zone. I put it back in neutral, turned it right back over, no problems, put in the clutch and put it in gear, and slowly released the clutch while giving it gas, and it died. I went and topped off the gas tank, turned it back over first try again, let it run for about 5 minutes while I went and put away the gas can and walked the dog, came back out and revved the engine in neutral again, no problems again, put in the clutch, put it in gear, and slowly released the clutch, and once again it died.

any ideas? I tried raising and lowering the idle speed, the same thing happened whether the idle was all the way down, all the way up, or somewhere in the middle. it only has problems while it's actually in gear. I even tried revving the engine in neutral, then putting it in gear and revving the engine with the clutch still in, and it still sputtered and died. I am new to this, this is my first bike and last night was the first time I've ridden it.

·
American Legion Rider
23,699 Posts
Kick stand switch? Is the kick stand up or down when you do this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oops sorry it's a 96 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 and no in gear with the clutch in it cuts off if I rev it. And the kick stand was up. Wait... yano now that you mention it I'm not sure... would a 96 have something like that?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
-_-so turns out the bike is fine I'm just an idiot that tries to start his bike with the kick stand down... thanks hogcowboy

·
Registered
328 Posts
Ah, how I envy you for even having the luxury of a kickstand...Don't feel too bad, I once replaced all 12 ball joints on my car to cure a popping sound that turned out to be a loose license plate...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts