Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because the value of my 1rst generation 83 venture royale is only going to go up, I am truely considering the complete restoration over the custom fix it..
I have had to splice and rebuild the audio wiring and my black electrical tape is not getting it.

I wanted to put my laptop in the trunk, and made a great mount, but after drilling a couple holes in the bottom and putting the mount in, I am faced with drilling a large hole for the "DELL" loaded power line, which is about 3/4" in diameter.

I think I would rather put a cigarette lighter in the trunk with the laptop, with a red and black wire through a 1/8" hole.

Now, after deliberation and confusion, I am faced with the resale value, antique equity and considerable time and investment in the wild ride..

Facing the failing economy,
the loss of interest in the 2 wheel sport,
and a serious monetary advancement for a riding permit,
I am truely wondering if the customizations I am doing are worth my priceless work.
I ask my fellow forum members---Should an antique grand touring motorcycle have a fullly loaded laptop with GPS in the trunk?

·
Registered
33 Posts
NO !
If I do mods I try to keep it simple and easily removable so nothing detracts from the bike if I change my mind.
I guess i don't understand the advantage of a laptop on a bike anyway. If you want GPS go on ebay and just buy a $15.00 TomTom and velcro it to the gauge area. Works great and removable. Your laptop might not survive the bouncing and vibration for very long anyway.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I have to say, I agree with the above. If you're concerned about resale value keep it stock.. Or nearly at least...

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fantastic, I am thinking on the lines of what I have to work with, and it would seem that there are plenty of little things wrong with the machine, so the laptop in the trunk trick is still in the works. As I just started digging into the controls of the venture royale, I have found quite a few small breaks and tears in the facia. the laptop might be the way to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts