Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Subversive
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay well here goes..

I have a CB900C... The bike with the sub-transmission...

What I am interested in doing, at some point, if possible, is to change one of the two final drive ratios in the sub-transmission.. The two ratios in this bike are too close together with about a 500 RPM difference between the two, HI and LO gears... What I would like is more like a 1000 RPM difference such that the LO gear is a bit lower... making the HI/LO actually useful...or more useful.

Would it be possible to get or find a custom made low gear for this subtranny?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I'm not sure if there is an off the shelf replacement for these, but I think it could be done with the right engineering and machining. The only obstacle would be the expense involved.

500 RPM doesn't seem like a very big difference. Maybe in a diesel engine pulling a heavy load, but not a motorcycle. I think the sweet spot would be about 1000 RPM too.

·
Subversive
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure if there is an off the shelf replacement for these, but I think it could be done with the right engineering and machining. The only obstacle would be the expense involved.

500 RPM doesn't seem like a very big difference. Maybe in a diesel engine pulling a heavy load, but not a motorcycle. I think the sweet spot would be about 1000 RPM too.
Okay thanks.. I have no idea what it would take to get a custom gear made... I have heard that the last year for these -- 1982 may have used a different ratio but I have to check...

Yeah I think 1000RPM would be useful, (too bad they didn't realize this when designing the thing) sport in low and touring/cruising in HI... :icon_cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts