Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to covert a California legal (CARB Compliant) 670cc back to the other 49 states guidelines??

·
Registered
62 Posts
There isn’t much different between the two, so it wouldn’t be too hard. The biggest change would be the exhaust as the Cali model has a larger 2 stage catalytic converter and the others are a single stage small unit. I don’t think there is a second o2 sensor to check cat health. The crankcase ventilation is also different but changing this really doesn’t give you any sorts of benefits either way. I can’t find any information on the software being different between the computers , and my parts sources only show a part number for the DCT and non DCT computers. Hope this helps.

oh and just a side note, I doubt changing the exhaust stock CARB to stock 49 states is going to give you all that much better performance. My CTX was plenty powerful with a nice 70mpg regularly.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Looking at my parts listing between the 2 bikes the CARB models use a catch can device on the crankcase ventilation system. More often than not these are much cleaner and better for your air cleaner than the PCV type which can allow oil to get into the intake.

also the catalyst piece of the exhaust is showing the same part number as well so they both use the same exhaust setup, please ignore my error above.

·
Visionary
5,246 Posts
Is it possible to covert a California legal (CARB Compliant) 670cc back to the other 49 states guidelines??
Why bother? The cali version is fine in the other states too.

·
American Legion Rider
25,889 Posts
I think he wants to know if he can simply remove all the Cali smog and/or fuel recovery stuff Mike. I think the simple answer is yes but why. It doesn’t seem to affect machine enough to warrant to me. When they first came out with that stuff it made sense but not anymore.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The thing is Hog, that the only major difference is actually not a power robber at all, just a better crankcase ventilation system. Though I can’t say anything about the software in the computer... that may be different.

·
American Legion Rider
25,889 Posts
hogcowboy said:
I think the simple answer is yes but why. It doesn’t seem to affect machine enough to warrant to me.
The thing is Hog, that the only major difference is actually not a power robber at all, just a better crankcase ventilation system. Though I can’t say anything about the software in the computer... that may be different.
That's what I said, WHY. You can't really see the difference anymore. When first came out the Cali stuff did rob power but not anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts