Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a CT90 that leaking oil out of the left Crankcase cover at the bottom... Took it apart and the gaskets were toast.. so going to be replacing the gasket which will probably fix... but with the picture below. Is it supposed to be distributing oil from this hole to lubricate the clutch. If so, then there ok with having oil hitting the Stator/Rotor.. i feel like theres probably a oil seal may need replacing also. Or might just be overthinking the whole thing

Thanks!

Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,375 Posts
laft side case is empty and should be dry, right side is clutch and oil fill.

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,375 Posts
the yellow line seen here is an oil gallry used by the pump to supply oil to the top of the head, you may have a crack in the casein that area in the bottom there.

you might need a "snake cam" to plug into your phone to inspect it further..

Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that info @EngineCollector. Probably cant get one of those snake cams in there since how small it is, 2 mm hole. So safe bet can just plug up that area to stop the oil leak from there?

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,375 Posts
Just a thought I see a drip coming off the bottom of the stator and that would more than likely indicate a crank seal?

Good eye @farmer bill ...I see dirty oil on the rotor, which does suggest your right about a crank seal, however the oil on the right is clean oil, suggesting he has two leaking points.

OP I meant to remove the rught side cover and use a snake cam to push into that side to look for any case cracking. my apologies for not being more clear. i sometimes forget not everyone has expierence in these areas.

this one works for android or windows phones. just do a search for one for apple if thats what you need. I foolishly bought a $800 snap-on camera kit, then seen these. I now have 5 of them, 2 at work in the tool box, and a few at home.

Reactions: wtalk

·
Vintage Rider
424 Posts
Oil on the left side of a CT90 is normal and does not effect the stator. Points are located up on the cam shaft and they are supposed to be dry. Most people lean the bike over to the right slightly to adjust the timing or put an custom cover with window cut in it for that purpose.

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
Many bikes keep the stator cool with the oil - the case doesn't fill, but gets a spray of oil, which drains back, except when tilted onto the side stand. I don't know the specifics of that engine, but that's probably normal. Pretty common in Hondas of that era.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts