Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching a video on Youtube to see how to change the oil on my bike, and evidently there is a crush washer on the oil drain plug. I have never seen one before...l guess the idea is that every time you re-tighten it, it crushed it a little but thinner so that you don't wear a groove into the bottom of your drain pan. I looked online and couldn't find them...anyone know where to get such a thing?

·
American Legion Rider
18,989 Posts
You mean it won't void your Harley warranty using a off brand crush washer.:coffeescreen::coffeescreen::coffeescreen:

·
Registered
699 Posts
I looked all over my AO for one for my Vulcan when I went to change the oil after moving here. Every hardware store and auto parts shop and even a custom bike shop (my area is a bunch of small towns) with no luck at all. I reused the one already in there. When I went back to the bigger town I used to live in, on a business trip, I stopped in the Kawi shop and bought a bunch of them for a quarter apiece! They are not as easy to find as one might think!

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys...l will see what l can find. The guy in the video said it is suggested to change it like every 3rd oil change...should l trust this, or change it every time?

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Thanks guys...l will see what l can find. The guy in the video said it is suggested to change it like every 3rd oil change...should l trust this, or change it every time?
Almost all manufacturers recommend changing the crush/sealing washer EVERY oil change... But I find that every other oil change is ok. And to add to Dodsfall's advice, tis better to take the actual drain plug to the auto parts store. The crush washer is often deformed to badly to match accurately.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Almost all manufacturers recommend changing the crush/sealing washer EVERY oil change... But I find that every other oil change is ok. And to add to Dodsfall's advice, tis better to take the actual drain plug to the auto parts store. The crush washer is often deformed to badly to match accurately.
Gotcha...hey thanks! I am hoping to get a lift soon and then l will be all over it!!!

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Most manufacturers recommend you change the crush washer every time because most riders that change their own oil aren't very good at knowing how tight is, "tight enough," don't own a torque wrench, and wouldn't know how to use one if they had one. People like One Eyed Jack, that do this stuff all the time, have a different skill set and have the experience to bend the factory "rules."

Bottom line? You spend about $10 on an oil filter. You spend anywhere from $18 to $60 on oil, depending on what flavor you use. The life and longevity of the engine you love so much is at stake!

And now you want to save a fifty cents by re-using a drain plug washer.:)

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
I reuse them until they leak, they Yamaha crush washers are about $2.25 apiece in bulk. If I get a drip, the next oil change will get a new crush washer. They can't leak much unless something else is broken. It's not that I'm cheap, I'm just money conscious. Since we change oil about once a month through the riding season, that doesn't leave much time for a drip every 100 miles to affect the oil level.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I've always just used $.35 hardware store copper washers. Sometimes I have to drill them out a bit.

·
Veteran Member
3,201 Posts
Bottom line? You spend about $10 on an oil filter. You spend anywhere from $18 to $60 on oil, depending on what flavor you use. The life and longevity of the engine you love so much is at stake!

And now you want to save a fifty cents by re-using a drain plug washer.:)
This is an amazing phenomenon, not just in the motorcycle hobby. I have a customer that has a $75,000 energy recovery ventilator for their 1/4 million square foot building. But he balks at the idea of spending $100 plus 1 hour of labor per year for me to change out some brass ball shaft screw blocks on part of the system.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
I know, right? And how much can it end up costing if you don't replace them?

I'm cheap too. I admit that! But a few cents to not have to clean oily grit off the engine is worth it to me. If I'm going to point out that Harley's don't all leak oil, then it better not leak oil. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Most manufacturers recommend you change the crush washer every time because most riders that change their own oil aren't very good at knowing how tight is, "tight enough," don't own a torque wrench, and wouldn't know how to use one if they had one. People like One Eyed Jack, that do this stuff all the time, have a different skill set and have the experience to bend the factory "rules."

And now you want to save a fifty cents by re-using a drain plug washer.:)[/QUOTE

I hear you Eye...l guess it sounds pretty ridiculous when l look at it like that ;-)

FWIW, in the past l always just had my mechanic friend do this stuff for me, but he is not around any longer and l feel like there is no reason l can't start doing this stuff myself, at least the basic maintenance. I even bought a nice Mac torque wrench...scored it on Ebay for $60 :)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Grand Fathers Rites

My grandad had a really unique way of testing those doohickeys...

he would take in between his fingers and thumbs and bend it,
if it bent, he would bust it in two, cut a piece of leather the right size, using his jackknife, and say something relational like....
If they worked, they would sell them in the store.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts