Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys need a little help there is a nasty crunching sound from under my engine near the front sprocket if i roll the bike back and foward wile not sitting on it theres no sound but as soon as i sit on it and go in to 1st 2nd and so on theres a horrible grinding or cruncing noise its due for new chain and sprocket set i took the bike to a garage he said the engine sounded fine this was a day before it started making the noise got me really worried any help would be great.

·
Very Famous Person
9,928 Posts
--

It could be the sound of nuts grinding. Did you remember to put the seat back on? :biggrin:

(You know, maybe sitting on some peanuts you had stored under the seat for lunch.) :p

--

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
its possible that the chain is too tight, with the extra weight (not calling you fat) it's causing tension on the sprocket. My belt driven bike did that when some dingdong adjusted it wrong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its possible that the chain is too tight, with the extra weight (not calling you fat) it's causing tension on the sprocket. My belt driven bike did that when some dingdong adjusted it wrong.
The chain and cogs have been on this bike since it left the shop floor in 2008 the guy i took it off did take care of the bike very well

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
does it make the noise when in NEUTRAL and and rolling or ONLY in gear?
Sorry forgot to say it does not make this grinding noise until the bike is warmed up theres a noise that sounds like a playing card hitting bike spokes then it builds up to a grinding noise.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Then I would agree with Zippy, sounds like your chain is maybe too tight. 7 years on a chain and sprocket set is a long time regardless of whether it is well maintained.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Then I would agree with Zippy, sounds like your chain is maybe too tight. 7 years on a chain and sprocket set is a long time regardless of whether it is well maintained.
Think you'd both maybe right when I sit on the bike i can't move the chain it's at mechanics now getting new DID chain and sprockets / service and new back brake drum and handle bars so will see how it rides when it comes out of garage. Thanks for help those.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts