Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be completing my motorcycle lessons soon, and looking for a cruiser for a beginner. I was looking at the kawasaki vulcan 750. I'm 6'00" / 200 lbs. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Have you looked at the 250 Honda Rebel. It has styling like a Cruiser with power and weight that a typical beginner can deal with. It is really a fun little bike that you can pass along at very little cost to you as you gain more experience.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
The Kawasaki 750 weighs less than 500 lbs and it's pretty tame. For someone your size I don't really see a problem with that as a starter bike. I would suggest you sit one one and make sure you can comfortably move it around & such.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm 6'1 and a little heaver then you, I've owned a Vulcan 800 but a bigger bike fits me way better. It was light and easy to maneuver though so it would make a real good bike to get some seat time on. Good thing about the middle weight cruisers is you can find them in excellent shape and at good prices. You can take good care of it ride it for a year or two and sell for what you gave for it or close to it then get another bike if you want to stretch out more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
V Star 650 Classic is a nice bike.
I started on a V Star 650 Classic a few years ago straight out of BRC course. I was a bit concerned at first, and the weight difference from the Rebel 250 I used for the course was very noticeable at first. As long as you are able to move the weight around and take your time should be a fine starting place.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Recent Shadow purchase a success!

I recently began riding, buying a 1984 Honda Shadow 700. +1 for this model!

I had to repair the cooling system (bad thermostatic switch in the radiator - mechanic hard wired it) and clutch line (hydraulic leak because of bad routing around the forks), but by now I've logged about 300 miles on it and it seems like a solid all around cruising bike. I also really like the "classic" styling, and this bike also has a good amount of shiny chrome!

In general, the engine components seem to be solid (this bike has nearly 50,000 miles on it), and I personally feel like the fit and handle bar position is great for me -- and I'm 6'-1" 205#. It weighs 480 +/- pounds, has plenty of power to get you out of trouble (if necessary), handles WELL even at slow speeds, and reaches 70 mph with ease when necessary. I don't ride the interstate much, and it's maxing out around 80 mph without pushing it much too hard for my liking anyway. I do really like having a windshield, in spite of it perhaps looking less stylish. But the look doesn't bother me considering the benefit is massive.

Oh, and the bike cost me about $1,250 total (incl. helmet and repairs). I'm pretty happy all in all.

·
Registered
245 Posts
As much as I love the 250 models, you cannot realistically drive a 250 comfortably at highway speeds. Avoid the Rebel, but dont buy a 800cc+ unless its an older model.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Personally if you have some restraint, and some respect for the machine. Just about any bike can be picked up and rode my beginners. Obviously if youre timid and lack control, any smaller bike/motor would be the rode to go. I also believe people who start out on smaller bikes and move up slowly gain more skill throughout their riding.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Other than having a dirt bike as a kid I'm a complete noobie and I bought a 2007 Suzuki C50 cruiser (800 cc) and I love it. Plus it wasn't too expensive for a first bike in case I bang it up, looks brand new with only 9k on it and I paid $2,800.00.

I rode on 250's for my training course and I hated them, I felt like an elephant riding a bike on it. Yeah they were a little easier to manipulate but I did not enjoy riding them. My C50 is a wide bike with a very wide tank and a lot heavier than the 250's but I have no trouble handling it. I'm powerfully built at 5'9" and 270lbs so that helps and I could see where someone not as powerfully built as me might struggle with a heavier bike but unless you are really small who wants to ride a 250? I've heard that they are the best way to start but after I got off the 250 from training and went home and got on my bike I never loved it more and it never felt so good after riding a 250. Honestly while the C50 is great for me now with plenty of power I can already tell that it won't be long before I'm going to want a bigger bike. I'd say that by next year if I have the money I'll be looking at a bigger bike.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I started on a 250 learner cruiser but moved up to a Suzuki Boulevard M50, loved that bike, handles well, was relatively light (felt lighter and more powerful than a Honda Shadow 750). But sit on as many bikes as you can, find the one you fit and which you feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
a mid-size cruiser will work fine for you.
look around ... and there have been several excellent suggestions for bikes above. you can't really lose on this, provided you buy a reliable bike. :)

dT

1 - 20 of 28 Posts