Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
It really does come down to what you want. What do you find comfortable and what do you find stylish enough for your personal tastes? We all have the idea of what helmets fit certain style bikes. But the reality is that very few people actually care what someone else is wearing in real life.

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,518 Posts
I have been using modular helmets lately because if not in my semi I am on my bike and I take it into drive throughs and such. It makes it easier to talk to people when stopped briefly. Today I have a 3/4 helmet too. Due to the windscreen blocks a lot of wind and I find it more comfortable than a full face or a modular in the recent heat wave.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am in a full face modular as well. In jungle hot and humid FL these past few months it most definitely gets hot if you're not moving. Typically only lift the wind shield, but it's nice to be able to lift the modular part and take a quick drink without having to take the whole helmet off.

Modular has its pros and cons, but I've been happy with mine.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I wear a full faced modular. I've been down a couple of times now and seen what the road will do to a helmet. It probably saved my life one time! My face isn't that pretty but either was my helmet after either crash...

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I like the 3/4 or open face helmet for just local or day long rides in nice weather. When the weather turns cool, I wear a Fly Tourist helmet. It gives the same protection FROM THE ELEMENTS as a full face helmet, BUT LESS PROTECTION in a crash. The chin bar is detachable for easy on and off and can be worn with or without the chin bar.

:)

·
Registered
124 Posts
My bike is a standard. With an upright seating position. Not a cruiser but I think it is similar.
Some helmets are apparently better suited to a more prone sport bike position.

I used to wear a Bell full face, it was a pretty basic helmet the dealer flat out refused to sell me my first bike without.
Cheap, cheerful, basic, did the job
I am fairly confident it saved my life and my face.

I tried on quite a few when I was looking for a bike.

I picked an HJC full face. Because I found it one of the most comfortable. I tried on. I wasn’t sure about about the new modular model which was also very comfortable. Price was a consideration. Between modular or full face. My decision was also based on if I do Another face plant I preferred the solid chin guard.
My opinion is probably a bit biased by having done a face plant onto asphalt and may not be entirely rational.
I have ridden 500 miles or 800 km days back to back. Without complaints. Every time I hit a big bug at highway speed I was very glad I had the visor.

As for looking good. I read white stands out well. Possibly the best. Don’t know if it’s true or not. I chose a white helmet. It was also cheaper.

I don’t know if it’s the helmet shape or not. I have no complaints at 100 to around 120 k. Above 120k shoulder check wind buffets are significant. Maybe other helmets are better for faster riding. I don’t know enough to say.

Try on a few and pick a comfortable one for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts