Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,660 Posts
The older Harleys are a good match for my 79 XS11 Yamaha. 1200 Sportster types. They pull off the line quicker than just about anything. Once Yami starts singing in the higher revs, he will run alongside easy enough. Over 100 and Yami has a bit of an advantage. But, that is not what I was thinking about. Roy has a soft tail 1400. Riding behind him is great. To do anything he just twists the throttle. On Bluzu I am shifting gears. One two or three, depending on the situation. Roy stays in top. I do not know how many gears he has. Someone can tell me. UK

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
575 Posts
Those are the two extreme ends of the motorcycle spectrum. Aside from the fact that they are each a motorized two-wheeled vehicle, they have little in common (and their respective riders also usually have little in common). How about a comprimise, like a Concours 14, an FJR, an R1200RT, or a Trophy SE.... almost as fast and nimble as a literbike, almost as comfortable as a bagger. When you finally get old and smart, you discover what you should have been riding all along.

·
Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
1,332 Posts
I had a Honda NT700V sport tourer that I liked, but it was always a little tall and top heavy for me (and it wasn't green ;)) I've made sport tourers out of a NINJA 1000, 300, and 650 and have gotten along just fine. The 1000 was the most smooth and plush and it was a SCREAM on the Chicago expressways!!!:D:cool: But it was a little too big for me too; the 300 turned out to be a little small; and the 650 is juuuust right.(y)I've taken all three of them on multi-day trips.

I had a chance to ride an HD Ultra, Road Glide, and Road King from Des Moines to Omaha on day trips. They were smooth and comfortable except for my left foot HATED where it had to rest due to the heal-and-toe shifter. They were loaner bikes, so I couldn't remove it. Although they were better than my Shadow was for road trips (my tailbone can't stand cruiser position for very long), I still prefer to have my feet under me or slightly rearward with an upright upper body and I prefer zippy to barcalounger.

·
Registered
05 R46, & Fully worked 03 CBR954RR
48 Posts
My experience I bought my 1st brand spank'n new 1200 Harley, i run it in nice & easy, serviced it, thinking it's OK?
Then I was going down along the Logan tole way & a cop car was coming the other way, & i looked down at my speedo
& I was doing 110KPH (10 above the signed limit) then in my mirror i see the cop's lights come on & they are pulling a quick u turn
to hunt me down, Now I'm used to leaving daylight especially when I've got a a good 500 meters head start on a cop car, But I was on a Harley
& when i knocked it back 2 gears to 3ed expecting it to go from 110 to 220 in seconds on full throttle? But only to have the cop car gain on me
hand over fist, where to leave him in the dust like i would have on my CBR1000RR where they wouldn't have got close enough to read my plate?
Here, once cops chase a bike & it gets to the 160K's (100MPH) & over? they have to break it off for safety reasons, & I can tell you this, 100% for sure that same situation
& I'm on a RR, or a R1, or a GSXR, or a ZX ? they wouldn't of got any where near to read my plate, & would of had to break it off, but instead try'n to
treat a Harley like a CBR1000RR to get away from the cops? Just had them laughing at me in their V8 where by the time they caught up with me I
only got up to 150KPH (about 93MPH), & they even had a poke at me say'n I'm on the wrong ride for a quick get away, & that play cost me 4 months disqual
& $1500 fine, the next day i took it back to the dealer demanding my money back, which by law they had to as it was less than 30 days since i had bought it.
So that Harley could not do what any 1 liter RR, R1, ZX, or GSXR can do all day! That was my 1st & last Harley, where that experience put me off that brand for ever.

·
Registered
600 Posts
My experience I bought my 1st brand spank'n new 1200 Harley, i run it in nice & easy, serviced it, thinking it's OK?
Then I was going down along the Logan tole way & a cop car was coming the other way, & i looked down at my speedo
& I was doing 110KPH (10 above the signed limit) then in my mirror i see the cop's lights come on & they are pulling a quick u turn
to hunt me down, Now I'm used to leaving daylight especially when I've got a a good 500 meters head start on a cop car, But I was on a Harley
& when i knocked it back 2 gears to 3ed expecting it to go from 110 to 220 in seconds on full throttle? But only to have the cop car gain on me
hand over fist, where to leave him in the dust like i would have on my CBR1000RR where they wouldn't have got close enough to read my plate?
Here, once cops chase a bike & it gets to the 160K's (100MPH) & over? they have to break it off for safety reasons, & I can tell you this, 100% for sure that same situation
& I'm on a RR, or a R1, or a GSXR, or a ZX ? they wouldn't of got any where near to read my plate, & would of had to break it off, but instead try'n to
treat a Harley like a CBR1000RR to get away from the cops? Just had them laughing at me in their V8 where by the time they caught up with me I
only got up to 150KPH (about 93MPH), & they even had a poke at me say'n I'm on the wrong ride for a quick get away, & that play cost me 4 months disqual
& $1500 fine, the next day i took it back to the dealer demanding my money back, which by law they had to as it was less than 30 days since i had bought it.
So that Harley could not do what any 1 liter RR, R1, ZX, or GSXR can do all day! That was my 1st & last Harley, where that experience put me off that brand for ever.
It hurts when you have to pay for the privilege of finding out that a Harley isn't as fast as an R1.

·
sub-Administrator American Legion Rider KA5LRS
27,809 Posts
Yep, Harleys are not for law breakers. Used to be you had to do a lot of work on them just to get to 100mph. And 110mph was just a dream. Forget about getting to 100mph fast. I got too many stupid speeding tickets for a 10mph over limit so I know. I even told one cop that his radar gun was malfunctioning because Harleys just can’t do it. Still got the ticket.
:thumbdown:

·
Registered
600 Posts
I don't know what the top speed is on my son's 2020 Low Rider, but that sucker has (had) a lot of power. Maybe not 1000cc sport bike power, but quite a bit.
For what it is, yeah, not bad for a HD but 93hp and almost 700lbs and a redline around 5000 is not going to compete with most motorcycles especialy considering the cc's. The torque is impressive and that's where the fun is with this bike, not top end.

·
Mod of the North
774 Posts
Full disclosure. I thought the answer to post #1 was leak oil…a lot of R1’s can’t do that…..:unsure:

OK OK, PUT THE WRENCH DOWN I AM KIDDING!!! :p

But seriously though. I have a friend rebuilding a wrecked Harley he picked up and I may end up joining Team Harley. I never really disliked them, was just indifferent. A few of the conversations I have had on sites like this has me changing my mind.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts