Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I drove my friends Ninja around a empty parking lot the other day just to see what it felt like. I have no interest in riding these kind of bikes I just wanted to see what it was like. After a couple minutes on the bike my crotch started to go numb, my neck was sore from having to look up all the time as well as my knees from being bent so much. Felt like I was humping the bike, what a ridiculous riding position. I don't know how people can tolerate being in this position for more than two minutes.

Your nuts are crushed against the tank by the weight of your body, and the crushing forces are amplified whenever you brake. Imagine going over bumps and potholes. Ouch! It doesn't help that crotch rocket suspensions are stiffer than other bikes. My friend told me he stopped riding his Ninja because he was tired of getting numb nuts. :biggrin:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I drove my friends Ninja around a empty parking lot the other day just to see what it felt like. I have no interest in riding these kind of bikes I just wanted to see what it was like. After a couple minutes on the bike my crotch started to go numb, my neck was sore from having to look up all the time as well as my knees from being bent so much. Felt like I was humping the bike, what a ridiculous riding position. I don't know how people can tolerate being in this position for more than two minutes.

Your nuts are crushed against the tank by the weight of your body, and the crushing forces are amplified whenever you brake. Imagine going over bumps and potholes. Ouch! It doesn't help that crotch rocket suspensions are stiffer than other bikes. My friend told me he stopped riding his Ninja because he was tired of getting numb nuts. :biggrin:
From what little I have experienced on bikes, the crotch rocket position is intended to have you use your heels (or ideally balls of your feet when not shifting / rear breaking) on the pegs and your knees locked under / to the side of the tank. Then it's just abs doing the work from that point on. A resting upper position and a stiffer lower body should allow you to ride at length.

Still, they're not really the most comfortable things, On a semi-sport I still get stiffness and do the occasional "noodle arms" as I call them (flail your elbows to relax)

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I had the chance to ride a BMW that had a forward-leaning setup.

I agree about the heads up neck pain, and I found that I grew weary of leaning on my arms (shoulder ache).

I CAN'T say that I found the crotch irritation.

In terms of the over-all experience, I would say that I didn't like the idea that I could potentially be head first in an accident. I like the notion that I MIGHT have a fighting chance to save my noggin if I am upright and leaning BACK!

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
23,689 Posts
If you get up to speed and get the wind to help hold you up it isn't nearly as bad. But you do still have to develop those next muscles. I can no longer even get into that position.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,370 Posts
I had the chance to ride a BMW that had a forward-leaning setup.

I agree about the heads up neck pain, and I found that I grew weary of leaning on my arms (shoulder ache).

I CAN'T say that I found the crotch irritation.

In terms of the over-all experience, I would say that I didn't like the idea that I could potentially be head first in an accident. I like the notion that I MIGHT have a fighting chance to save my noggin if I am upright and leaning BACK!

-Soupy
NEVER, NEVER throw a softball like that! Someone is going to bang it out of the park with comments like : "you got to have balls to crush them"

·
Premium Member
8,986 Posts
Crochit

What Hog said about the wind. At around 90 the wind helps to hold you up. A tank bag also helps. The riding position is not for most riders. Having the tank to stop you sliding forward, and a tail piece to stop you sliding back, allows a more relaxed grip on the bars. This works wonders at the track.
The stiff suspension is an aquired taste from the track.

For going down the freeway, my XS11 and a bunch of cruiser type bikes are more comfortable. For a ride over the Cascade Mountains on all passes except I90, the sport bike is better. I call them sport bikes, rather than crotch rockets. CR is a modern term, I am not modern.

Unkle Krusty

·
Registered
8 Posts
NEVER, NEVER throw a softball like that! Someone is going to bang it out of the park with comments like : "you got to have balls to crush them"
Was thinking of doing something along those lines as soon as I read it, but being a newcomer, I figured rudeness would be a bad idea. He did sort of set the ball up on a bump with spotlight on it though.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I was going to comment on it too, Luponius, but since his wife recently left him I figured he can't really feel his balls now anyway, or even know where they are.

We're a warm and caring crew here, we are. No?

:biggrin:

·
American Legion Rider
23,689 Posts
And hopefully things work the way he wants on this very day. Fingers crossed.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
So far, "no".......but thanks, hog

-soupy

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
I've spent 70,000 miles so far, in that position without much discomfort. That includes many 200-500 miles trips.

If you are feeling discomfort, especially in the crotch area, you either are sitting on it wrong or need better muscle training.

·
Registered
809 Posts
That is true for you, and many others. But everyone is different, and bikes that others find comfortable you might find unacceptable or even painful. The key is for each of us to find what works for us, individually.

I'm a special case, I ride the short bus! :) I find it difficult to ride either cruisers or sport bikes, comfortably.

I've spent 70,000 miles so far, in that position without much discomfort. That includes many 200-500 miles trips.

If you are feeling discomfort, especially in the crotch area, you either are sitting on it wrong or need better muscle training.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
First you have to remember that sports bikes really are function over form. The riding position is based on aerodynamics. Street based sport bikes are derived from their race bred siblings.

That said, I often found for long rides I was more comfortable on my GSX-R750 than I was on my feet forward cruiser bike. At speed the wind would hold you up off the bars, so your arms were fine. On the cruiser I felt like I was hanging onto the handlebar for dear life, so not to be blown off the bike. After a while that takes its toll on your arm and back muscles.

The best position, of course, is that which you find on a touring type bike. Upright, feet under you, easy reach to the bars.

·
American Legion Rider
23,689 Posts
First you have to remember that sports bikes really are function over form. The riding position is based on aerodynamics. Street based sport bikes are derived from their race bred siblings.

That said, I often found for long rides I was more comfortable on my GSX-R750 than I was on my feet forward cruiser bike. At speed the wind would hold you up off the bars, so your arms were fine. On the cruiser I felt like I was hanging onto the handlebar for dear life, so not to be blown off the bike. After a while that takes its toll on your arm and back muscles.

The best position, of course, is that which you find on a touring type bike. Upright, feet under you, easy reach to the bars.
And don't forget the windshield that keeps the wind off you so you no longer feel like you have to hang on for dear life.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
809 Posts
While "standards" are much more the exception these days than the 'standard', the riding position is also upright, feet directly under you, easy to reach handlebars.

Standards are my personal favorite. That's what I grew up riding, when they were actually the most popular. Now almost everything is cruiser, touring or sport bike.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having trouble. Way back, in the 1970 time frame, I rode my H-1 Kawasaki as if it were a sport bike and it just killed me. Resting all of my weight on my arms just did not work for me, even when my heels were tucked up behind me on the passenger pegs. I find that I am far more comfortable these days with a foot forward riding position. My weight is all carried on the seat and I have a light touch on the handle bars. Even in an intermediate time, when I was riding my Honda CX-500, I found that not leaning on my arms gave me a huge improvement in how riding felt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts