Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
I don't see the point:confused:
Is it just another way to make yourself think you look cool?

·
Shut up and Ride!
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my thoughts exactly.... completely impractical. But you look "cool" lol

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Exactly what I need on my Goldwing!!

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
I don't see any advantage to the design. The downside of not being able to keep both hands on the hand grips while shifting seem to be the biggest issue.

·
So long
2,739 Posts
I don't see any advantage to the design. The downside of not being able to keep both hands on the hand grips while shifting seem to be the biggest issue.
Not being up by the gas tank, it's not even historically correct. It looks more like the lever on a barber's chair.:biggrin:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Why only Softails? Is it going to be the new thing to modify your Harley? I have to ask how durable is it, if it does break on the road are you going to be able to change it back with simple tools on the side of the road or are you screwed?

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
Why only Softails? Is it going to be the new thing to modify your Harley? I have to ask how durable is it, if it does break on the road are you going to be able to change it back with simple tools on the side of the road or are you screwed?
These have been around for a long time. Any motorcycle could be fitted with one. I suppose if you carry the stock shifter, a clutch cable and stock lever/housing you can make the bike stock again in about 30 minutes with minimal tools.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Just wondering what you guys think about this.... this company offers a custom "Crop Shifter" for Soft tail models. Similar I guess to a suicide shifter, and looks uncomfortable as heck.... where does the clutch go? lol

http://www.savagesbikerapparel.com/store/p6/Savages_Crop_Shifter™_for_Softails.html
You can see the clutch hand lever in that photo right by the handle, it's all painted black though.

I don't get it either :confused: it's as weird to me as a 'suicide shifter' (vertical hand shifter to the left of the gas tank) are those supposed to be comfortable or somehow useful either? Or, just to be different again?

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I can see where it could be useful to someone with a disability....my dad had a prosthetic leg and had no way to shift unless the bike had a heel-toe shifter......other than that, I think it's just people wanting to look "cool"

·
American Legion Rider
21,845 Posts
Oh I get it now. I completely missed the clutch lever. I'd sure like to see the other end of the shifter linage though. I don't see how it wouldn't look very strange. But for the disabled, you bet. Darn good idea there and so simple.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Looks like a pretty trick idea to me. A way to have the cool factor of a racing jockey shift without having to get the skills needed to ride with a foot clutch. I'll give them an A for inventiveness and an A+ for simplicity and ease of installation.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I don't get it either :confused: it's as weird to me as a 'suicide shifter' (vertical hand shifter to the left of the gas tank) are those supposed to be comfortable or somehow useful either? Or, just to be different again?
Neither. They're historical. Back in the early days of motorcycling most bikes had a foot operated clutch, much like a car, and the shifting was done with a lever that was usually mounted to one side of the gas tank. Not the best system in the world, but it's how they started until someone figured out the better hand clutch and foot shift we have now.

About a day after the first motorcycle was sold someone somewhere decided that they wanted to race it, so the first thing they did was start chopping off un-needed parts to save weight. The "chopper" was born. The clutch was changed from a rocker pedal to a simple push pedal to save time, and the shift linkage was cut off and a simple "jockey lever" was welded on to the transmission arm down beside the seat. Still not as good as today, but better and faster then what the other guy had. And more dangerous too. Thus the term "suicide clutch."

It looks like these guys have come up with a way to try to replicate the look of those old racing shifts, but made it easy to install, relatively inexpensive, and relatively easy to use. I don't want one, but good job I'd say. And the reason it's for a Softail is because of the location of the passenger peg mounting hole. This could be fitted to another bike, but it would take some sort of mounting bracket to be fabricated.

As a comparison, there's a whole line of "custom bobbers" made that actually have a fake, non-functioning shift lever. It just sits there and doesn't do anything. Now THAT is cheesy! (I think they're Sucker Punch Sally's, but I'm not sure.)

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
I clutch with my foot and shift with my hand in my Slingshot, so I must be a bad azz biker like the HD soft tail suicide shift owners !!!!!!!!! :coffeescreen:

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I clutch with my foot and shift with my hand in my Slingshot, so I must be a bad azz biker like the HD soft tail suicide shift owners !!!!!!!!! :coffeescreen:
that's true....but since you also sit "in" a 3 wheeled car....you don't count :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts