Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Anything 50 cc up to 450 cc dirt , Streeters from 150 cc scooter up to Honda Shadow . In stock ..
474 Posts
My bike is around 440 lbs dry. I put freeway bars on it, so if it ever does go over it won't be completely flat and I think I should be able to lever it up without injuring myself, but I sure don't ever want to try! It's also low and easy to balance; with my 32" inseam my knees are bent when I'm sitting on it flat footed. When I was in that Pinconning bike shop the other day I was looking at a dirt bike they had on display, the seat was above my waist and I had no idea how I'd ever get on the thing, and I'm sure that at this age and condition, I couldn't learn. Sometimes I wish I could venture off into some trails but will content myself with a low bike and regular roads at this point.
I'm with you on avoiding the docs. In fact after my recent experiences, I'd rather die than go in. But that's a different thread.
Glad you didn't get hurt worse and prayers for a speedy recovery. And let us see the "cut down to size" result!
Ever stand next to a full size YZ 450 F ? My little short butt is lower than the bottom of the seat . Bars are even with my shoulders . But I ride them every chance I get .... try that at 70 yrs. Old .... LOL ....

·
Registered
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
My back is nearly over it. An intermittent slight dull ache is all that remains from the sharp, stabbing pains that marked the first two weeks of this month. HoooRay! Yard work has resumed.

I am eyeing my 571 pound, 32-inch high BMW saddle - about ready to grab some rides before the snow flies. I'm wishing my DRZ conversion was complete already turning it into a 317 pound bike with 32-inch high saddle. I would hop on that in a NY minute.

I was building a document yesterday wherein I created a table including data on my very much loved first bike, a '72 BSA I turned into a great cafe' bike with 32-inch high saddle and about 465 pounds. I was young, agile and invincible then. So was my Thunderbolt.

I'm guessing my Clubman Suzuki will feel about right for bopping around the area and the BMW will be a refined treat when I want to get more than 30 miles from home.

In my table I added my 170 pounds to the bike making the power-to-weigh-ratio table much more realistic. My modded DRZ will be a bit easier to manage and friskier than my pack-leading BSA was.

2009 BMW 571 pounds / 109 hp 7 pounds/horsepower 32.2 inch saddle height
2012 DRZ400S 317 pounds / 39 hp 12 pounds/horsepower 37 inch saddle height
1972 BSA 650 485 pounds / 46 hp 14 pounds/horsepower 32.3 inch saddle height

·
Registered
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
--
BB,
Nicely written article. A full catalogue of your writings would easily be a tome. Of course, lifting it would be a strain on your back. ;)
--
Ronk, I should mention, I appreciate the compliment. Thank you for that. My writing would have to be up a few notches before it will be worth publishing beyond the collection of electrons at my websites. I dabble at writing at the same level I do trombones, upright bass, painting, sketching, shooting, woodwork, metalwork, motorcycle riding ... never good enough to do it for others, but keeping myself nicely amused.

·
Registered
100 Posts
As I get back into riding and now with the internet a lot more reading about motorcycles than I ever did before, I find myself wishing the manufacturers would use something besides a confusing set of letters and numbers for bike models. "...a full size YZ 450".....sounds like algebra. And then there's this:
"2009 BMW 571 pounds / 109 hp 7 pounds/horsepower 32.2 inch saddle height
2012 DRZ400S 317 pounds / 39 hp 12 pounds/horsepower 37 inch saddle height
1972 BSA 650 485 pounds / 46 hp 14 pounds/horsepower 32.3 inch saddle height"
Which rather ups it into the realm of a story problem. Sigh.
When folks talk about trucks, I know where they're at with the Rams and Silverados and Sierras and Expeditions. But these bike models are just so unknowable.
37" seat height? I'm thinking that's one I'd have to use the foot peg to climb on. And as I'm in great shape - round is a shape! - that's likely to be an attempt that would cause great amusement to anyone watching.
Glad the low back pain is repaired!

·
Registered
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I'm with you, Hearbroken, names like Nova, Corvette, Ranchero, Nomad, Belvedere, Thunderbolt, Lightning, Bonneville, and so on told us who the target market was and carried on for years and years through numerous model changes.

Of course the cookie-cutter college marketing graduates arrived on scene and convinced executives that SX sells and the race was on to use a constantly changing combination of cryptic initials and numbers to generate excitement in the new models. Let's call my short-range bike a 2012 Suzuki 400 Clubman and longer-distance one a 2009 BMW 1200 Patrol bike. Is that a bit better?

The dirt flingers and hump jumpers love their suspension travel and figure once they are standing on the pegs, nobody cares how high the saddle is. Of course the youngsters don't mind picking them up every time they fall. Dirt bikes and dual sports cater to that.

If my example wasn't so darn close to being a new bike, I probably would not work with it, but Suzuki did make a "Super Moto" version that is a bunch lower. With that as my model, I will get that saddle down close to a sane 32 inches.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Oh, Nova, Ranchero, Bonneville....now you're bringing up some old memories! Am I showing my age? My first love was an International Scout in ice blue...anyways, yes, much better names for your bikes. I tend to like things simple. As in my Suzuki Intruder is named "Bike". As a model name "Intruder" isn't one of my favorites, but I didn't even realize that was what they called it til I put my glasses on and read the side of the tank.
When you lower the saddle, do you reconfigure just the seat or do you change the suspension? Seems like some foam removal would lower it some, but then it wouldn't be comfortable. But changing the suspension requires other changes, doesn't it?

·
Registered
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
When you lower the saddle, do you reconfigure just the seat or do you change the suspension? Seems like some foam removal would lower it some, but then it wouldn't be comfortable. But changing the suspension requires other changes, doesn't it?
The DRZ seat famously resembles a jolting, vibrating 2x4 between your legs. They own the patent on uncomfortable. Reducing the padding to lower it is quite out of the question. Going from 18" rear and 21" front to 17" front and rear will help a lot. To get to my 32" clubman target the forks and monoshock will have to be rebuilt as well. Then I add some comfort to the seat and build it in a cafe' pattern.

Going from 21" front and 18" rear to 17" front and rear will change the rake slightly, but in my favor as I am not doing jumps, but do prefer responsive street handling.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts