·
Registered
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
You have to at least get x-rays. They're not that expensive. Around me they have a chain of xray places that is real cheap. Hospital was going to charge me $3700 for a CT SCAN on my wrist, went there and it was only $425. X-rays are dirt cheap. If you want to treat yourself you have to at least have some information to base that treatment on. And you could be just a minor fall away from ending up in a wheelchair.

The x-rays should depict flex and extension of the lower back. As you arch forward and back, that allows the broken pieces to move out of place and show up on the xray. If you just stand straight or lay flat, the bones might stay in the proper place and breaks stay hidden.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Also, a few years ago they changed the rules with the obamacare and now there are no asset limits. So if youre worried they'll come after everything you own, they can't touch anything. They'll just fix your back no matter how many hundreds of thousands it costs and then send you on your way. The taxpayers are the ones paying. I'm serious. Everyone can get on the ACA plan, and as much as I think doing healthcare that way is bad, that is how its done now and that is why its so expensive and you cant afford it now, but nevertheless, if you want the surgery you have to go that route. Something like 80% of Americans could not solve a $500 emergency, almost none of them can afford a $400k spine fusion.

·
Registered
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My medicine man still seems to be spot-on. His analysis and prescriptions are working very well. I cannot imagine the healing and recovery process being improved with any manner of interventions by anyone. The human body is an amazing thing. It is wondrous to watch it at work.

A dismounted walking it around is certainly a better idea than what I did. I need to do more of that. As I mentioned in my tale, driving it around would have been a snap for a rider with more recent saddle time. I have to work on that, particularly my low-speed, tight-quarters maneuvering.

The third change will be in recognition that I have zero need for 11-inches of suspension travel front and rear, while my old body has a strong need of a lower seat. I will trade the former for the latter on my DRZ very soon.

• Helpful
Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
29 Posts
Great story. Hope you're feeling well!. I'm 5'4" and weigh 135lbs. I've done my share of dropping bikes. When I dropped my 750 Triumph Trident back in Chico California back in the early 70's I needed help picking it back up. Fortunately for me there were people around, I thought then and there what would happen if there wasn't anyone around to help me? A friend of mine, Red Dog, rode a full dress 80 inch Harley. I told him what happened and how embarrassing it was.He showed me how to pick his bike up the correct way. I can now pick my 900lb. full dress FLT by myself and I have had to a few times. Knowledge truly is king.

·
Registered
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fershur training in the art of correctly re-verticalizing motorcycles is on my short list.

I am also resuming my use of a stationary bike ... slowly as my back is still on the mend. I figure part of the correct lifting technique assumes reasonable muscle tone in the legs. Gotta keep that.

Once healed I intend to begin light-weight dumbbell rituals to restore a tiny bit of tone in my old arms.

Fourth, that over-tall DRZ will be cut down to size this winter.

·
Registered
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At my age I have a lot of people in my circle of family and friends who have had back and joint surgeries. While it is true that the hacksaw wielders are having a much lower failure rate than they used to, having my body heal itself successfully, completely and repeatedly is statistically 100% ... no oopsies, no apologies required. My back is too important to be gambling on. Thanks anyway.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
10,139 Posts
Great story Ted!

TALL bikes are difficult to mount or dismount. This is the reason I sold my Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sport because I knew eventually I would sprain/ twist a knee or ankle when I got off. Getting on, I was just worried about sitting on and squishing the 'Twins,' and we Guys know how that feels. :bigthumb:

Sam

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Sometimes you might get lucky and heal, but the back most of the times is too fragile. @hogcowboy knows this all too well.
I crushed my T4 vertebrae in 2004 and it is still in 6 pieces. Its a chronic fracture that will never heal without medical intervention. However, it doesn't really hurt or give me problems so I live with it.

But being that it is T4 its in my upper back and doesn't carry much weight, on the other hand a chronic fracture in your lower back is an entirely different animal as it carries the weight of your whole upper body. I have spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 with nerve compression and that gives me all sorts of trouble. Nothing I can do to improve it but have the surgery.

·
Registered
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am most assuredly not recommending my course of action for anyone else, nor am I suggesting that what I have dealt with relates to what others have. I share my story in case my lessons happen to apply to others. That is entirely for them to decide. There is no diploma on my wall suggesting I am qualified to give advice.

After years of lifting my Mom, my wife's back is hurting much more than mine. It also is injured in ways mine is not. Her MRI indicates several severe problems. We await an appointment with a reputable neurosurgeon... having cancelled the appointment she did have with a disreputable one. Gotta be careful with your spine and who gets to play with it.

There are two diplomas I do choose to display on my wall, but not because they qualify me for anything:
1980 Bondurant certificate of graduation
2017 Sniper Central Basic Long Range Precision Rifleman certificate of completion

Reactions: Retired Guy

·
Registered
97 Posts
My bike is around 440 lbs dry. I put freeway bars on it, so if it ever does go over it won't be completely flat and I think I should be able to lever it up without injuring myself, but I sure don't ever want to try! It's also low and easy to balance; with my 32" inseam my knees are bent when I'm sitting on it flat footed. When I was in that Pinconning bike shop the other day I was looking at a dirt bike they had on display, the seat was above my waist and I had no idea how I'd ever get on the thing, and I'm sure that at this age and condition, I couldn't learn. Sometimes I wish I could venture off into some trails but will content myself with a low bike and regular roads at this point.
I'm with you on avoiding the docs. In fact after my recent experiences, I'd rather die than go in. But that's a different thread.
Glad you didn't get hurt worse and prayers for a speedy recovery. And let us see the "cut down to size" result!

·
sub-Administrator American Legion Rider KA5LRS
27,809 Posts
Sometimes you might get lucky and heal, but the back most of the times is too fragile. @hogcowboy knows this all too well.
I'd do everything possible first before going the surgery way. I was forced to go that direction as my back had shut down my bladder. Surgery was/is the only thing that might get it functioning again. Do what you have to do.(y)

·
Registered
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd do everything possible first before going the surgery way. I was forced to go that direction as my back had shut down my bladder. Surgery was/is the only thing that might get it functioning again. Do what you have to do.(y)
Yeah, Hogcowboy, I am all over surgery avoidance. Thank you for your support.

In your signature I noticed two more things that we have in common (making at least three total). I am a member of Corvallis American Legion Post, and among the founders of their amateur radio club (K9GT). I suppose my buying beef by the half implies a fourth commonality.

·
On The Road Again!
4,811 Posts
Yeah, Hogcowboy, I am all over surgery avoidance. Thank you for your support.

In your signature I noticed two more things that we have in common (making at least three total). I am a member of Corvallis American Legion Post, and among the founders of their amateur radio club (K9GT). I suppose my buying beef by the half implies a fourth commonality.
There are a few of us on this forum. N2ELC here since 1983.
Also a few pilots, like myself.
Hmm.....American legion? Our local Legion post is well done.
Apparently they were getting ready for a fish fry a week ago, and fried the entire building instead.
Sky Plant Tree Road surface Asphalt

1 - 20 of 29 Posts