Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Driftless Rider
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, on sunday a coworker had a deer run into him as he rode with his girlfriend. The Octane is totaled and they both have a bit of road-rash; but are not seriously damaged.

The interesting part of it is, that I know his father and grandfather who are both against motorcycles (the "they are just too dangerous" crowd) And while I respect their opinions, I noticed in their conversation a re-occurring theme among non-riders and anti-motorbikes folks.
And that theme is that they are almost relieved (sometime thinly veiled happy) that someone had a crash. Often with sentenced like "well, maybe this will keep them off those things for a while" or "You should have known better, I told you so."

I guess I just don't get it... why would you wish harm upon someone for doing something they love just to prove your own biases.

Yes, we all know that motorcycling is inherently more dangerous than say hiking or knitting. But I've never thought, well you should have known, when I here of a hiker getting poison ivy or snake bit.

Anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

·
Registered
193 Posts
It is weird but you are correct. It's like people who say they don't like to play cards, what they mean is they don't know how so they don't like cards. I don't get to cranked up over it. You can't please everyone.

·
American Legion Rider
26,019 Posts
So, on sunday a coworker had a deer run into him as he rode with his girlfriend. The Octane is totaled and they both have a bit of road-rash; but are not seriously damaged.

The interesting part of it is, that I know his father and grandfather who are both against motorcycles (the "they are just too dangerous" crowd) And while I respect their opinions, I noticed in their conversation a re-occurring theme among non-riders and anti-motorbikes folks.
And that theme is that they are almost relieved (sometime thinly veiled happy) that someone had a crash. Often with sentenced like "well, maybe this will keep them off those things for a while" or "You should have known better, I told you so."

I guess I just don't get it... why would you wish harm upon someone for doing something they love just to prove your own biases.

Yes, we all know that motorcycling is inherently more dangerous than say hiking or knitting. But I've never thought, well you should have known, when I here of a hiker getting poison ivy or snake bit.

Anyone else noticed this phenomenon?
I see it too and why is simple I think. When someone crashes, the ones that harp about the danger, finally get their own fear of two wheels justified. But isn't just two wheels. You see that theme everywhere. Justification. It's that simple I think. I may be wrong but that's at least my opinion and you can try but you can't take my opinion away from me. There it is and that's all it is. My opinion.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Bias confirmation! Everyone has it... the key is being able to identify it within yourself and recognize when you start to engage in it. Otherwise you come off like a self-righteous, smug @$$ (and Lord knows I've been guilty of this more than a few times in my life!)... :smile_big:

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
People love to have some type of validation of their fears, whether rational or irrational. For most of my life I have heard the warnings of those who are too timid, or too clumsy, to safely ride a motorcycle. Stories about "donor cycles" and about some friend or relative or relative of a friend, etc. that was hurt or killed on a motorcycle. When I did a few parachute jumps I heard the same sort of baseless stories about what is truly a very safe sport, but it is how those too afraid to try it themselves justify to themselves why they won't give it a try. And don't get me started about those who are scared to death of firearms, and usually have never handled a firearm in their life, let alone fired one. Every time there is a story in the news about someone negligently shooting themselves or someone else, or about an irresponsible gun owner leaving a loaded gun when a child can find it, they are truly gleeful pointing out how dangerous it is to own a gun. Again, it is just the frightened and the ignorant looking to validate their own fears and prejudices.

Most of us here understand that riding a motorcycle is inherently more dangerous that traveling by automobile. But we also understand the fun and enjoyment of riding a two wheeled vehicle, open to the elements, and how it is a totally different experience than riding in a steel cage. Some of my anti-motorcycle relatives cannot comprehend that I can go out for a ride on the same roads that I have ridden hundreds of times, and come home refreshed and mentally cleansed, the same roads that they would be bored to ride in their cars. And unfortunately for me, my grown children have successfully passed their fear of motorcycles on to my grandchildren. And while I doubt that any of them actually wish me harm, I have no doubt that if I suffer a crash they will happily use that event to reinforce their warnings to their children. On the other hand, I know of many people my age that have succumbed to their fears and allowed themselves to grow over cautious as they age, who now see the highlight of their lives as building a model airplane, or planting a few flowers, and thinking that anything more risky is just too much for them as senior citizens, and for whom myself, riding motorcycles at age 76, is taken as a mild rebuke of their timidity.

·
Driftless Rider
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I know what you mean about skydiving, Vito. I did a tandem jump, something I've always wanted to do, on my 40th Birthday.

I described that adrenaline rush as "Having an orgasm and getting kicked in the jewels at the same time; while being on fire."

I'd love to take the classes and learn to go solo, but alas, I already have too many expensive hobbies for my working man wages.:plain:

And I guess it kind of a "How dare you do something I am too afraid to do myself" thing. Last winter I took a pretty good spill while playing hockey and torqued my back a bit. As I griped and groaned, people said things like "You cant keep up with those kids at your age." (my age....I'm only 46) My reply was, "No, but I can have fun trying for as long as I can.":wink2:

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,918 Posts
My Brother in Law had a Wrecker Service most all his life and he was definitely not fond of Motorcycles .. But many times with him seeing the results after a Bad Accident with the Motorcyclist being killed or maimed badly, can understand his point of view.. But he never said I shouldn't ride, just made it plain would never see him on one ..

·
American Legion Rider
26,019 Posts
vito said:
Some of my anti-motorcycle relatives cannot comprehend that I can go out for a ride on the same roads that I have ridden hundreds of times, and come home refreshed and mentally cleansed, the same roads that they would be bored to ride in their cars.
And take that very same road(s) and ride it the opposite direction and you'd swear you are on a different road. Everything you have seen multiple times looks different. It's really weird how that works. Well it is for me and my wife anyway.

Reactions: Jo6pak
1 - 9 of 9 Posts