Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
25,892 Posts
I thought he may hit a white strip but don't think so. Must have hydroplaned as it did look like some water was running across the road. Coming back from Missouri last year we were in much much worse than that. But we happen to know that speed kills. At lot of that ride was down to 35mph having cars pass us like we were sitting still just to see them in the ditch several miles down the road. People just don't get what hydroplaning is and quickly it happens.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Yeah...hopefully he learned a lesson about riding too fast for the conditions. Looked like there was a bit of localized flash flooding that he hit. Thankfully the water also had the impact of cushioning their falls and allowing them to essentially glide right off the road. Could have been much worse, but thank heavens it wasn't.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Its bad enough he was riding like that in the first place but to do it with a passenger is what bother's me the most. If he wants to risk his own life, that's his problem but to risk the life of your passenger being stupid is the worst.
I think the fact that the roads were so wet actually saved them a lot of road rash, she slid along as if on a water slide there for a bit. If that were dry pavement they would have both been pretty torn up if not worse. She likely got the worst of it, a passenger usually takes the first hit on the road on their side or back. At the very least she's likely to have some pretty bad bruises for a long time from that fall. The backpack also acted as a buffer between her and the road.
She likely didn't feel the extent of her injuries till the next day.

·
Registered
501 Posts
That whole video was disturbing. Riding like that on dry pavement is incredibly unsafe. Riding like that in the rain, with reduced traction, limited visibility, and the possibility that other vehicles might slide or not see you, was absolutely reckless. They are both very lucky that the spill did not happen adjacent one of the other vehicles. They could have gone under the wheels.

I bet she was super mad. Probably broke up with him. He deserved it!

Come to think of it, the rider might not survive the crash, after all. If her Dad sees that video, he's toast!

·
Registered
133 Posts
She seems like a nice girl. She should drop Roger road race, and find a nice young man that knows how to ride.

UK
She should also get a helmet that fits her and learn how to adjust the chin strap properly.

I'm glad she appears to be ok. Good to see they have proper safety barriers there (Cyprus?).
If it happened here, she might have been cut in two by a wire rope barrier.

https://goo.gl/maps/DDRTgnuwXek

·
American Legion Rider
25,892 Posts
WTF was he thinking? One thing to put your own life in jeopardy but don't endanger someone else's.
Yep, that's like rule number one riding double. Jeopardize yourself or the rider but never your passenger. But what if she was backseat driving? Suggesting he go faster to get out of the rain. You are doomed then not matter what.:devil:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts