Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m 18 years old and bought my first bike (Yamaha v star 650) and was 3 weeks into riding on my home from work, I was going 47 in a 45 in a 2 lane road, a lady from the oncoming traffic made a u turn right in front of of me into the outside lane, I started to attempt a swerve to the inside lane but as she made her u turn she swung it right into the inside lane, at that point it seemed my only options were to hit her, hit median into on coming traffic, or dump the bike... I dumped the bike and broke my ankle on impact and almost headbutted her back bumper as I was rolling, there was no witnesses but she did stop but on the police report lied and said she was further up the road, an attorney had already told me I have no case and to forget about it but my bike was totaled, out of work for 6+ weeks and had surgery with hardware on my ankle, has anybody been in this sort of situation before? What could I have done differently? I don’t want people to blame my age and inexperience but it seemed like just a shitty position to be in as I had no other escape routes, and has anybody legally got the other driver to pay up? My insurance ruled me at fault since I technically never even touched her car even thought she was directly responsible (which I can’t prove) if anyone has any tips or advice please let me know... I’d like to continue riding later on but I just don’t know .

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Well that sucks. They're telling you that since you didn't T-bone her, you're SOL. There are some attorney's that claim to specialize in motorcycle related accidents. You can probably find one one-line. Doesn't cost anything to talk to one for a few minutes. If they say you're screwed, you probably are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I figured... sucks to know I get screwed because I didn’t hit her but this situation has me wishing I did... but who knows what would’ve happened if I chose that instead of dumping the bike, I get all the consequences and she gets off free with no damage to her car and no responsibility.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Check with your local motorcycle group (e.g. Massachusetts Motorcycle Association) or the American Motorcycle Association for an attorney that specializes in motorcycle accidents. They may be able to put enough pressure on the insurance company to get some sort of settlement. If you sue the driver her insurance company has to defend her and it may be cheaper to settle with you.

·
Registered
996 Posts
You may want to call Law Tigers Motorcycle Lawyers.

As for when you get back to riding, brakes are your friend, both front and rear to make a threshold emergency stop, rather than dumping the bike. Bike stop/slow quicker and shorter distance when they are upright rather than sliding on their side. Just a thought you may be interesting in researching.

Good luck with your case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks , but yeah I had like 10 feet to stop going like 45mph versus her car going 10mph I don’t think the best brakes in the world would’ve stopped me in time without locking up or dumping I hit my clutch rear and Front but I knew I was gonna dump it since that was better then hitting her.

·
Very Famous Person
10,009 Posts
Thanks , but yeah I had like 10 feet to stop going like 45mph versus her car going 10mph I don’t think the best brakes in the world would’ve stopped me in time without locking up or dumping I hit my clutch rear and Front but I knew I was gonna dump it since that was better then hitting her.
--

Not dumping on you, I know you did the best you thought you could have at the time. I'm not giving advice other than agree you should probably talk to a lawyer that specializes in mc accidents. But some reflection might be helpful in the future. When bikers ride in traffic, there are threats to us on all sides at all times. In your situation, experience would train you to notice she was in a turn lane and would possibly turn in front of you. This is the most common of accidents to happen to riders. Your hand should have been covering the brake lever and your eyes noting any hint of movement into the intersection. You could have started to slow and get your foot ready for the rear brake pedal. If so, then you may have been able to act a little sooner.

Again, not dumping on you, but at the least, now respect traffic and learn from what you could have done. If you're not sure, in addition to what I just said, then ask for more advice and heed it. The twenty most active posters on this site have probably been in every situation you can imagine at one time or another.

--

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah it was kind of around a slight curve in the road and it was nighttime, I recognized her headlights were stopped and started moving towards as I went around the curve, at that point I was hoping to god she was making a left turn instead of the u turn and I did start to brake but I figured I could try to make a swerve as it seemed like a good option but she closed that as she went into the inside lane... if I could go back and do it again I certainly would but I guess it all just happened so fast. Scariest thing ever as I was flying off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts