Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 1980 Suzuki GS450L. When riding in the rain the bike begins to run poorly and cuts out when I stop. Any ideas as to what might cause this and/or how to fix it? I gets downright annoying and dangerous when it quits at a traffic signal

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
I don't know your particular bike, but what I have found the most of in the past is parts that should be weatherproof, but no longer are. Such as old and cracked plug wires, ignition module covers, things like that.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
+1 I'd suspect the plug wires, or maybe water getting into elec. connections or something like that.

·
Premium Member
6,559 Posts
Rain

Primary suspect is plug caps. Install new ones and use some rain repellent. My SV650 needed a shield in front of the front plug. My XS11 Yamaha has four new plug caps and goop. Also check where the ignition wyres go into the engine.
Maybe pull the side cover off and look for moisture. Do the same with the coils.
If you ask if anyone else has had a problem, the folks from CA say no, the folks from England say, all the time.
That was the response I got with the SV650 question.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Premium Member
6,559 Posts
New thought

If the coil wyres are cracked at the outer end, but okay at the inner end.
NGK now makes a connector so you can cut out the crappy piece and connect a new piece.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The thing is I can open the choke a little and it will keep running albeit poorly. Still electrical?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Replace the plug caps, they are cheap at Z1 Enterprises. Cut the wire back about 1/4" to get to some fresh wire, spread the strands slightly with an ice pick or something similar so the point goes into the center of the wire strands when you screw the new cap on the wire. My '78 GS1000E ran terribly in the rain the first time the old caps got wet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts