Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on Craigslist for the past month looking for used bikes to start off with and have just about set my mind to the suzuki sv650. My only question is, when do I know if I am getting a good deal. Being in the northwest, coming across a bike is hard and it also makes them much more expensive then if I were in California or somewhere warm. I'm currently looking at a 06 but the price is at the high end of my range, as similar bikes on ebay are much less, but they are located on the east coast. my main question is, what should I be looking for as far as value in one of these bikes. Its below nada value but it does have a good amount of miles on it. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

·
American Legion Rider
22,891 Posts
Actually if it's within range of Kelly Blue Book or NADA and it's what you want, in the color you want and with the accessories you want, it's a good deal. It only has to please you. Most modern bikes will have no problem going 100,000+ miles. And as a matter of fact, high mileage says it wasn't a garage queen with all kinds of potential fuel related problems. I've seen some bikes with 350,000 miles and still going. I personally would stay away from a low mileage bike because of the potential it has sat for a LONG time unless you like working on them. Just get what you want and be happy. You are the only one that matters in your purchase. But of course offer less than asking price. Never can tell.

·
Honk if you've never seen a gun fired from a bike
821 Posts
Agree'd. I've seen many bikes, late 90's and early 00's, advertised as 2-3k miles. That means that bike didn't sit for months unridden and unmaintained, it sat for YEARS. And chances are, it wasn't prepped properly before it started sitting. The carb's get gummed up, if the gas tank is empty moisture will create rust. The oil sits stagnant and then started and run without a proper oil change.

If they have a lot of miles, between 10-50k, you know it's been ridden fairly often, and if it wasn't maintained already, it'd have blown up.

2-3k is ok on an 08+ in my book, anything older sat, probably neglected because the owner obviously wasn't an enthusiast.

·
Registered
89 Posts
An SV650 should be an awesome bike for you. I ALMOST got one for my first bike, but switched to a VStar 650 at the last minute to save $700. Man, that was a mistake.
I like the VStar well enough and after a little work it runs like a top, but I finish every ride day dreaming about upgrading to a different bike. I don't think that would be happening on the SV.

Bottom line: Buy it if that is the bike that speaks to you, it is in good shape and in-line with KBB and NADA, and you can swing the cost. Don't settle for something that only kind of moves you because you won't be content with it for long.

Here are the links for KBB and NADA (because they are a little tough to find)
http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/
http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/Motorcycles

·
Honk if you've never seen a gun fired from a bike
821 Posts
Dunno about the sv650 for a first bike. My buddy has one and it's really quick. We'll be rolling at 35mph, and roll the throttle. My 1602cc monstrosity of an engine roars to life and I take off. By the time I hit 50 he's doing 90.

It's not a normal v-twin 650cc motor, and I DEFINITELY wouldn't put it in the same class as the vstar 650. That's comparing the tortoise to the hare. They're tall bikes, too. He's a big guy, about 6' and 240lbs vs my 5'7" and 170lbs. He can lift the front end up with ease, too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the advise, it really helps. I was worried about the millage at first but I never thought about the fact that if it didn't have a good amount of miles on it, it would be sitting. I'm going to see it Sunday and I'm pretty exited. hope it holds up to expectation and doesn't surprise me with a deal breaker. Again, thanks for all of the help. I was just uncomfortable with buying off of Craigslist, but hey, where else would I get one if not from a dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually if it's within range of Kelly Blue Book or NADA and it's what you want, in the color you want and with the accessories you want, it's a good deal. It only has to please you. Most modern bikes will have no problem going 100,000+ miles. And as a matter of fact, high mileage says it wasn't a garage queen with all kinds of potential fuel related problems. I've seen some bikes with 350,000 miles and still going. I personally would stay away from a low mileage bike because of the potential it has sat for a LONG time unless you like working on them. Just get what you want and be happy. You are the only one that matters in your purchase. But of course offer less than asking price. Never can tell.
Thanks, that gives me a lot more confidence in going for this bike.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
You definitely do not want to pick up a trailer queen crashmaster. A well used bike that has been properly maintained is a far better choice in the used arena.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts