Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months of searching for a leather seat for my MT07 I learned that the options were to buy a complete seat from either America or France. The cost of the seats are extortionally high and the cost of postage equally so. Finally today I bought a cowhide for RM100 (about 25 USD). I will get a local craftsman to re-cover the seat with the cowhide. Does anyone know how to maintain the hide once it's installed?

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,506 Posts
I had an ulpolstereeeer tell me once that the best thing you can do for leather is furniture polish. Armore All types soaks through and dries and flushes chemicals out of the leather and cause it it harden and shrink. I have followed this for all my leather seats with no issues except once in a while lightly rubbing mink oil into them.

·
American Legion Rider
26,019 Posts
I had an ulpolstereeeer tell me once that the best thing you can do for leather is furniture polish. Armore All types soaks through and dries and flushes chemicals out of the leather and cause it it harden and shrink. I have followed this for all my leather seats with no issues except once in a while lightly rubbing mink oil into them.
Furniture polish???:surprise: I've never heard of that before. Was this guy drunk or pulling your leg? What kind as I can see certain ones have oil that might be okay. I just can't see something like Pledge doing anything but getting him another job at some point.

That mink oil is probably the best thing you can do for your leather. Over time you get an almost complete weather proof saddle. And without being slick.

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,506 Posts
I am thinking the waxing portion of the polish that would hold to the surface. It was the first time I heard of if too and the last. However he did cut open a seat that came in to be redone exposed foam from weather and showed me the Armore All residue on the pan were it soaked all the way down to it strangely enough dry and crispy on the top...
I used Armore All on everything until that day. Furniture polish I use it more for the cleaning properties and I do use Pledge. Both my Wing and Blackbird are Corbin leather seats and the Wing one is very old.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Another suggestion; https://beenaturalleathercare.com/

I've used these guys for riding leathers, seats/saddles, gloves and work/riding boots for many thousands of miles -- they seem to really know leather (minus the old-wive's tales...). Very, very satisfied with their stuff -- my last set of riding boots lasted over 30 years and my last two saddles lived outdoors for about 170-180K miles if that is any barometer...

No -- they don't know me, and I have no connection to their firm...

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,506 Posts
Heck made for leather specifically riding gear like tack and equestrian goods is perfect. Just my opinion, I am a nobody.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Heck made for leather specifically riding gear like tack and equestrian goods is perfect. Just my opinion, I am a nobody.
I agree 100%, people have been riding horses a lot longer than bikes, so there's a lot more collective experience taking care of tack. And anything that's good for a horse saddle should be just as good for a bike saddle.

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
I just smeared some mink oil on my leather jacket. Not much to this job. Let it dry for a day. Wonderful. Just bought a new leather vest, and gloves, will do the same to them. My ex cleaned and applied mink oil to the horsey bits on a regular basis.

Another animal product that has many uses in Lanolin. Might be sold by other names. Use it instead of grease on nuts and bolts, or between metal pieces. It is used a lot on boats.

UK

·
Registered
98 Posts
Another animal product that has many uses in Lanolin.
That is good stuff for a lot of uses. You can get pure lanolin sold for cosmetic use, I have a small jar. I haven't tried it for leather, but it should be good. It is very thick and sticky, more so than Vaseline, so I don't know if you'd want to thin it with something to rub on leather. It's a natural animal product, so it makes sense it would be good for natural leather.

The specific reason I bought it though, is to protect steel from rusting in sweaty or otherwise rust-prone situations. I've used it before on steel parts of carry pistols, and the mag release on my current compact 9mm started rusting. I like to heat any steel parts up, like a little hotter than you can touch, and dip it or wipe it with lanolin. The heat bakes out any water molecules in the pores of the steel, and melts the lanolin so that it can seep into the pores better. You can wipe it off and leave an invisibly thin coating that protects and lubricates pretty well. I even read somewhere that SEALs use it on their guns and knives.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks for this thread. I got a Russell Day Long in Leather a few years ago and have been on the fence about what to use to protect it. I had been using Duragloss leather treatment (mainly for cars) but it makes the seat slippery. I will have to go and get some leather stuff from my local horse supply houses. (the area I live in has a lot of horses)
Thanks again ...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts