Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On Interstate 40 now they have ground "divots" into the center line and put the reflective "Bott's Dots" below grade.

This is so snowplows don't take them off, as well as normal impact by car/truck tires.

Well, imho the divots are TOO DAMN DEEP!

Not only are they unsafe to ride over on a motorcycle, when it rains they fill with water that can even give a car's front tire a serious jerk.

What's everyone else's opinion?

·
American Legion Rider
18,561 Posts
You mean you think they are more a hazard than as they are now when wet and sticking up? First place ever saw them was California and never understood what good they were. But I did understand it when I saw some reflective ones at night. Those made sense. Is the countersunk ones any worse than all the potholes? I've not seen any to know. It sounds better than sticking up in the air to me. Guess I'll have to wait until I go north to see them or until this state follows along.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
That's a solution for blind drivers, what's the solution for deaf ones? What about blind and deaf?

We have mostly rumble strips on the side of the highways here in CT. If those don't wake you up, you've got a problem houston......if they don't eat your tires, they rattle parts off....

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
On Interstate 40 now they have ground "divots" into the center line and put the reflective "Bott's Dots" below grade.

This is so snowplows don't take them off, as well as normal impact by car/truck tires.

Well, imho the divots are TOO DAMN DEEP!

Not only are they unsafe to ride over on a motorcycle, when it rains they fill with water that can even give a car's front tire a serious jerk.

What's everyone else's opinion?

Just how big are these "divots"? I don't really see a huge issue.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
If they just grind up enough road surface to drop the dots down to level with the road around, I see no issue at all. If they are doing more than that I suggest you get better qualified folks on the road crews.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, but still don't get how these things can be dangerous.
What divots?
They're (apparently) taking a 6-8 foot diameter grinding wheel and grinding a curved "divot" on the centerline of the road 2-3" deep, 12-18" long.

They then place the reflective dot or square IN that divot.

Except the hole is slightly deeper and considerably longer than the reflector. So it fills with water when it rains at least 6" in front of and 6" behind the reflector.

They'll give your front tire a good twist when you go over one changing lanes, just like a pothole. Even in a car, and even more so when they're water filled.

I couldn't find a picture of one of these "submerged" botts dots, the pictures are of the old-style, above grade dotts.

·
American Legion Rider
18,561 Posts
A 12-18 inch divot for one darn Bott's dot? That is crazy. You got a picture of one of those? Wonder if the AMA would consider giving the states a headache with such "road hazard for motorcycles"? I thought you was talking about maybe a 6 inch divot. 3 times that would cause concern.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Pah-dump! Pah-dump! Pah-dump!

Bitch and moan....bitch and moan!!! :)
Hey Steve -

We were driving I-40 Eastbound in a torrential rain in a 2012 Honda with good tires and nearly lost control of the car when crossing the centerline. The car hydroplaned a bit after hitting the water pooled in the divot.

Scared my passenger a lot more than it scared me, but...

I'm pretty sure a motorcyclist hitting that the way we did would have eaten @#$!.

Would you consider that a valid safety concern, or just bytching and moaning?

Sometimes the folks in D.C. don't think things all the way through --- such as the impact (pun intended) countersinking these reflectors would have on motorcycles, versus passenger cars & 18 wheelers.

Today raising issues like this on an Internet forum, hopefully somebody knows somebody, and perhaps it gets back to folks at the FHA, AZ DOT, etc.

But if someone at FHA reads that riders DON'T unanimously agree that countersinking these dots poses a safety risk to riders, that some % of bikers feel it's just bytching and moaning, well, I'm sure they can use that as justification to continue along their path of requiring it be done to EVERY highway in America getting repaved, not just I-40.

So your comments, as snarky or lighthearted as they may have been ;) may indeed have an impact on motorcyclist safety.

Cheers.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hey Steve -

We were driving I-40 Eastbound in a torrential rain in a 2012 Honda with good tires and nearly lost control of the car when crossing the centerline. The car hydroplaned a bit after hitting the water pooled in the divot.

Scared my passenger a lot more than it scared me, but...

I'm pretty sure a motorcyclist hitting that the way we did would have eaten @#$!.

Would you consider that a valid safety concern, or just bytching and moaning?

Sometimes the folks in D.C. don't think things all the way through --- such as the impact (pun intended) countersinking these reflectors would have on motorcycles, versus passenger cars & 18 wheelers.

Today raising issues like this on an Internet forum, hopefully somebody knows somebody, and perhaps it gets back to folks at the FHA, AZ DOT, etc.

But if someone at FHA reads that riders DON'T unanimously agree that countersinking these dots poses a safety risk to riders, that some % of bikers feel it's just bytching and moaning, well, I'm sure they can use that as justification to continue along their path of requiring it be done to EVERY highway in America getting repaved, not just I-40.

So your comments, as snarky or lighthearted as they may have been ;) may indeed have an impact on motorcyclist safety.

Cheers.
My reply was indeed lighthearted, indicating that B&Ming would be about all one could do about it. We have those everywhere in the part of AZ I live in. Never had a problem with them either in car or on bike.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts