Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During an unrelated search I tripped over this video and thought perhaps it included some easy to understand science, I was wrong, but it was somewhat entertaining!! It does illustrate why some riders are confused about steering a motorcycle.

Counter Steering | The interesting physics behind it

·
Registered
188 Posts
Someone else made a Counter Steering post in, I think. 2011 and it showed up in my Recommended Reading a few days ago. I watched a video and spent all day, day before yesterday, or until about 3:30 PM, Counter Steering on every turn, even when it was not necessary. I rode up to Aldi to pick up some dog food and rode around the parking lot counter steering in and out of the empty spaces between the cars. I watched a video and became "too aware" of something I have been doing for decades. I will say I had fun doing it though. It's a good way to make sharp turns at low speeds. But you can also counter steer on a straight, I rarely ever put my feet down at a light, I stop 40 or 50 feet back and inch up 2 or 3 MPH counter steering the entire time. Unless its a long light, dont have to put feet down. It's balance, but really it's just counter steering at an extremely low speed left and right in the straight lane. Everyone should learn how to counter steer and practice it, it makes riding a whole lot easier.

·
Nightfly
4,240 Posts
I would hate to get behind you at a light. What is the purpose? Why would you not want to put your feet down? I know cops that would give you a ticket.

·
American Legion Rider
21,205 Posts
I won't stop that far back at lights but will balance and try to time it so I don't have to put my feet down myself. I balance at stop signs too. It's a great way to hone your balancing skills. On a 950+ pound bike that's ultra important. But I usually just ride up normal except stop on a dime, balance for 1 or 2 seconds and roll on. And you are absolutely correct about cops. One day I run into one that's just been given his divorce papers or in some other way is just having a bad day and I will get a ticket. Doubt he buy honing balancing skills is good on land yachts but that's what I'll hit him with and take whatever happens after. They do like to see BOTH feet down, at least here. So be prepared for a ticket if you just balance at stops and roll on. Simple as that.

Reactions: Retired Guy

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,844 Posts
Reactions: Misti

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts
Ride a dirt bike with lose footing, enter a corner and jump on the back brake. Repeat and haul on the front brake. You will learn more about counter steering than any video can explain.
Does a good guitar player need to know about harmonic resonance.
Did Vladimir Horowitz tune the pianos he played.
Does an owner of an early Bentley know how to adjust the exhaust valves on an F head engine.
Did anyone know about counter steering before the ex drug user made it popular.
How did folks ride bike then, not knowing anything about anything.
And for the umpteenth time. Counter steering may be a primary input for many bikes, it can be a secondary reaction on some bikes, and not required at all on some bikes. One size does not fit all, and many do a serious disservice preaching it as such.
I watched some of the video. It resembles navel gazing. Ride a dirt bike in the dirt, have fun, fall off, do it again.
Marqez, Rossi, Edwards, Hayden, are and were dirt bike riders. The first US world champion road race rider, road flat track before riding on the pavement. He did stuff in the rain that counter steering geniuses can only dream. Correction, he did stuff that they know nothing about. UK

·
Nightfly
4,240 Posts
I agree UK. This inane, over analyzing of something every rider from pedal bike to the biggest street yacht does is really wearing thin. It must make the inexperienced rider feel better to have it explained to them with drawings and cartoon characters rather than just going out and rider their damn bike. UK you are right, get down in the dirt, you might learn something..

·
Registered
354 Posts
During an unrelated search I tripped over this video and thought perhaps it included some easy to understand science, I was wrong, but it was somewhat entertaining!! It does illustrate why some riders are confused about steering a motorcycle.

Counter Steering | The interesting physics behind it
Wow, this is convoluted..... Way to take a subject and make it even more complicated than it needs to be. After watching the video I read the comments and one of them stood out for me. "This gives the false impression that a rider can choose between direct input steering and counter steering, as if it were a matter of personal preference. That advice can get someone killed. You cannot steer a motorcycle at public road travelling speed with direct input steering. You’ll go the opposite direction of your intention."

Counter-steering. Push left to go left, and right to go right. End of story.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I would hate to get behind you at a light. What is the purpose? Why would you not want to put your feet down? I know cops that would give you a ticket.
I agree with you completely, I wouldn't want you behind me either.

The "see the tires" rule is a bunch of BS. I learned that last year sitting at a light and got pushed across two lanes. I am ALWAYS ready to go.

Show me a cop who will ticket for advanced riding skills and I will show you a cop who gets his/her (those) tickets thrown out in court..every single time.

·
Ace Tuner
2,372 Posts
I was counter steering my bicycle, then my motorcycles long before I even knew there was a name for it.
I just thought I was steering, and riding, my bike the way everybody does...

S F

PS:
Didn't go to the link. I'm confused enough already and I know how to steer a street bike anyway.

Reactions: Tobacco Road

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts
I agree UK. This inane, over analyzing of something every rider from pedal bike to the biggest street yacht does is really wearing thin. It must make the inexperienced rider feel better to have it explained to them with drawings and cartoon characters rather than just going out and rider their damn bike. UK you are right, get down in the dirt, you might learn something..
Thank you. TR.
Following up on what Misti said. A lot of this stuff can get you killed. It is a primary reason why I keep going on about leaning the bike first, then steer as required. Counter steering complexity, can lead to non leaning and confusion, and crashes. UK

·
Nightfly
4,240 Posts
I agree with you completely, I wouldn't want you behind me either.

The "see the tires" rule is a bunch of BS. I learned that last year sitting at a light and got pushed across two lanes. I am ALWAYS ready to go.

Show me a cop who will ticket for advanced riding skills and I will show you a cop who gets his/her (those) tickets thrown out in court..every single time.
Wow! Aren't we the DB with an attitude. Lighten up, maybe your nco has gone to your head.

·
Very Famous Person
9,841 Posts
--

I thought the video was very confusing. I would not recommend it to anyone. Besides, the cartoon character didn't even have a helmet on. What legitimate safety video would have the rider not ATGATT?

--

·
Very Famous Person
9,841 Posts
--

Yea, Sarge. TR is the one in the middle. 😁

--

·
Registered
354 Posts
Thank you. TR.
Following up on what Misti said. A lot of this stuff can get you killed. It is a primary reason why I keep going on about leaning the bike first, then steer as required. Counter steering complexity, can lead to non leaning and confusion, and crashes. UK
This may just be a difference in semantics but you can't "lean the bike first and then steer as required" because you should be "counter-steering" the bike into the turn which is what initiates the lean. I tell my students to press on the bar to steer the bike and then let their body go with the bike as it leans into the turn.

When it is time to change direction then you would counter-steer the bike the other way. Again, push right to go right and left to go left.

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts
Because you subscribe to the counter steering school of thought, You can say no different.
I subscribe more to the Reg Pridmore school of thought, and know how I ride.
I have explained it more than sufficient number of times. There are plenty of bikes where counter steering is not the primary input. Any amount of denial will not change that fact. I have riden them. Others have riden them. You can not change factual first hand evidence.
I have talked about the heavier bikes where counter steering is a primary input. If the counter steering folks want to rant on about this forever, go for it. Hopefully at some time they will learn more.
Also: There is more to learn about riding a bike for tough cross country races, than there is from track days. UK

·
Nightfly
4,240 Posts
Because you subscribe to the counter steering school of thought, You can say no different.
I subscribe more to the Reg Pridmore school of thought, and know how I ride.
I have explained it more than sufficient number of times. There are plenty of bikes where counter steering is not the primary input. Any amount of denial will not change that fact. I have riden them. Others have riden them. You can not change factual first hand evidence.
I have talked about the heavier bikes where counter steering is a primary input. If the counter steering folks want to rant on about this forever, go for it. Hopefully at some time they will learn more.
Also: There is more to learn about riding a bike for tough cross country races, than there is from track days. UK
Again I am in total agreement with you UK. If I can ride my Sportster into an upcoming turn and take my hands off the handlebars and then complete the turn by just my leaning into it, where and when did the counter steering come into play?. It did not. I'm fed up with this stupid thread, get a grip and ride. Some things are better learned by doing rather than watching a video or reading an article about it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts