Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2001 Honda CBR 929RR. When I went to look at it I knew from the listing that it needed a new stator but he told me he had a new battery so it should start. He then explained when I got there that it wouldn't start but he could hook the new battery up and show me it at least turned over. I felt air coming out of the exhaust and I've been looking for this model for awhile, not many street bikes in my neck of the woods. I know a decent amount about maintenance and engines, I tried the same thing at home tonight, new battery, a good amount of fuel. It's turns over and I listen for the click of spark plugs but I don't hear anything and I can hear an airy whoshing noise which I'm assuming is the fuel injectors. The guy I bought it from told me this problem started after he took the gas tank off to check/change a fuse. Anybody know much about these bikes, is it possible he unplugged or loosened by accident some sort of ignition wire? Where should I start?

· Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
28,710 Posts
You'll just have to dig in. I hope you got a killer deal because
a none running bike is just a pile of parts. I'd try shooting some
carburator cleaner in the air breather just to see if it tries to start
or starts and then dies. Or if very very lucky it stays running.
That would be highly unlikely though. Doing this would say if it
is a fuel problem or fuel and electrical problem. Then since he
said he had the tank off, that's where to start. Good luck and...
WELCOME ON BOARD, and...

We are a friendly site here. Well, most of us.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay thank you, and yes It was very cheap and I actually love taking stuff apart and fixing it and I knew it was gonna need some work. I enjoy learning about it too so I guess I got what asked for. Thanks again.

· Registered
5,963 Posts
Since it happened right after he had the fuel tank off, that's where I'd start. I'd get a flashlight first and just look. Maybe a fuel line is twisted or kinked, an electrical connection just not quite stuck completely together, anything that don't look right.
Then pull the tank and check all the electrical connections. Try starting fluid again with the tank off, if you can, see what happens. Good luck with it.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took the gas tank off and took a few hours looking around for shotty wiring. Found a bundle of spliced wires under the bracket which I fixed and re-taped. I then tried to start it and still no dice. I then tried the starting fluid and it tried to fire, I was having trouble getting the fluid to spray all the way up in the intake because the bottle didn't come with the nozzle it was supposed to but I did get it to fire. It's got to be just not getting fuel. I'm gonna check for a fuel filter and see it's condition and maybe do some research on how to inspect injectors.

· Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
28,710 Posts
It might also be old fuel. Today's fuels are worthless. But make sure you are getting fuel to the injectors after you've cleaned them. After messing with it for so long, you might have fouled plugs too. So...
  1. clean injectors
  2. fuel getting to injectors confirmed
  3. possibly new plugs
  4. and new fuel....or
  5. a good dose of Seafoam added
It should fire and run and hopefully no further problems.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was messing around with it earlier today, got it to fire off starter fluid. I noticed fuel leaking from the hose that goes from the pump to fuel pressure regulator and upon further inspection it had hole on the back side that I couldn't see. I'm gonna go buy some fuel line and hopefully a $3 chunk of hose fixes my problem.

· Ace Tuner
4,927 Posts
A bundle of hacked wires is always scary. :eek: Gotta hope for the best there.
Does the fuel pump pump fuel when you turn the key to on? (With engine stop switch in the run position).

What does the inside of the fuel tank look like? Does it have rust and/or 'jell-varnish' looking stuff in the bottom?
If Yes to the first question and No to the third question.... See hog's post # 6.

S F

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I did some work on it today and I put power directly to the fuel pump with a power probe and then tried to start it and it fired right up. Then I used a multimeter to test power coming from the battery and I had 12.v for about 5 secs which is normal. So the pump works and power should be getting to it, why does it not turn on when I turn the key?

· Visionary
6,300 Posts
You need to find a wiring diagram and work through it, find why it's not running. Bad relay, bad circuit somewhere else..it's not that complicated if you work methodically.
Google found me a bunch of leads and wiring diagrams but I don't have time to go through all of them to see what's right, that's where you come in.
This discussion was interesting though...

· Registered
27 Posts
I was messing around with it earlier today, got it to fire off starter fluid. I noticed fuel leaking from the hose that goes from the pump to fuel pressure regulator and upon further inspection it had hole on the back side that I couldn't see. I'm gonna go buy some fuel line and hopefully a $3 chunk of hose fixes my problem.
Put some fresh fuel in it if it's been stood mate

· Registered
1,619 Posts
So I did some work on it today and I put power directly to the fuel pump with a power probe and then tried to start it and it fired right up. Then I used a multimeter to test power coming from the battery and I had 12.v for about 5 secs which is normal. So the pump works and power should be getting to it, why does it not turn on when I turn the key?
Lot's of good info on this site - Fuel pressure regulator problem - CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

Might want to go ahead and replace the FPR just 'cause...

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea I'll look into it, I know it's not a very expensive part. Im certain it's an electrical issue in a wire somewhere though between the fuel pump and the ECU. I've ordered a repair Manuel with wiring diagrams and I'm going to go through it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.