Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 14 Posts

· Registered
CB125T, EX250 commuter, Ninja 250 racebike, CBR250R(MC19), VF500F, CBR600RR, VFR750F
1,119 Posts
Crimp connections, done properly, usually last longer than solder, in a high-vibration environment. I'm not saying those were all done well, though.
I've probably never seen one done correctly... Lol

S F
Heh, heh... yeah that's the hearsay. In reality, after 40-yrs of working on cars & bikes along with owning my own tuning-shoppe, I've found opposite to be true. Crimps cause a stress-riser between flex and no-flex transition and wire will break there. Also don't do anything for corrosion-resistance either.

Crimps will burn up under high-power situations just like original connectors due to lack of contact surface-area and conductivity.

This whole "crimp good vs. solder bad" idea was started decades ago by some lazy vendors of EFI harnesses who was trying to justify their inferior products. Look through this wiring manual for proper wiring-techniques with performance, reliability and durability in mind like used by pro-motorsports (F1/MotoGP), military and aerospace applications.

· Registered
CB125T, EX250 commuter, Ninja 250 racebike, CBR250R(MC19), VF500F, CBR600RR, VFR750F
1,119 Posts
Spent 24 years in the Aerospace Field and there's nothing like laying on the Backbone of a F4 trobleshooting a wiring harness with the J79 engines running LOL.
heh, heh... I crawled under helicopters. :D

1 - 2 of 14 Posts