Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am working on a 1977 suzuki gs750 and am kinda lost with this part (the wiring buss bar) as I haven't seen it in pics of other bikes or on part diagrams any help would be great, i got this bike and 2 boxes of parts and trying to stay as stock as possable , thanks
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Auto part

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope no head light or bucket but I think you are right I was just out there looking at it, looks like some more ebay fun. Now do I stay stock or go with a new style head light with the turn signals built in?

· Registered
CB125T, EX250 commuter, Ninja 250 racebike, CBR250R(MC19), VF500F, CBR600RR, VFR750F
819 Posts
Crimp connections, done properly, usually last longer than solder, in a high-vibration environment. I'm not saying those were all done well, though.
I've probably never seen one done correctly... Lol

S F
Heh, heh... yeah that's the hearsay. In reality, after 40-yrs of working on cars & bikes along with owning my own tuning-shoppe, I've found opposite to be true. Crimps cause a stress-riser between flex and no-flex transition and wire will break there. Also don't do anything for corrosion-resistance either.

Crimps will burn up under high-power situations just like original connectors due to lack of contact surface-area and conductivity.

This whole "crimp good vs. solder bad" idea was started decades ago by some lazy vendors of EFI harnesses who was trying to justify their inferior products. Look through this wiring manual for proper wiring-techniques with performance, reliability and durability in mind like used by pro-motorsports (F1/MotoGP), military and aerospace applications.

· Premium Member
6,196 Posts
Making military aircraft, the opposite was true. The F4 Phantom was mostly soldered, and we repaired connectors all the time. F15 went (nearly) all crimp, and the failure rate went down. But then, all our crimping was done with calibrated tools, and inspected many times.
As far has heating goes, we did solder the larger, high-current connections, and made sure there was more than adequate strain relief. Those burned connections are from choosing the cheaper solution, not (directly) because they are crimped.

· Registered
69 Posts
Look through this wiring manual for proper wiring-techniques with performance, reliability and durability in mind like used by pro-motorsports (F1/MotoGP), military and aerospace applications.
Spent 24 years in the Aerospace Field and there's nothing like laying on the Backbone of a F4 trobleshooting a wiring harness with the J79 engines running LOL.

· Registered
CB125T, EX250 commuter, Ninja 250 racebike, CBR250R(MC19), VF500F, CBR600RR, VFR750F
819 Posts
Spent 24 years in the Aerospace Field and there's nothing like laying on the Backbone of a F4 trobleshooting a wiring harness with the J79 engines running LOL.
heh, heh... I crawled under helicopters. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts