Motorcycle Forum banner

221 - 240 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I'm getting anxious to load the bike and head out. I was looking at a list of national parks this morning. Seeing which ones are closed or partially closed. I don't always stay in a national park, but I'd like to use my park pass a few times this year.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Don't waste your time coming out West, RG. The National Parks in Utah, Nevada, and California are closed. The last time I checked, the town of Moab Utah, the gateway town for Arches, Canyonlands, and other NP's, are not allowing tourists....closed Motels, Restaurants, and other conveniences. You can pass thru, but don't stop or expect any services. Even some sections of BLM land is closed in Utah. I live 100 miles away from Moab, and all I can do is run around in my little area. I'm not sure if they closed off the BLM land on top of my mountain though.

Even my favorite NP is closed. Ready for this? DEATH VALLEY!! I've been going there for years on my photo trips in the Spring and Fall. Generally it's just me and maybe 100 to 200 people. I've spent days there and maybe see 30 people in the course of a day. Sure be glad when all this panic is over.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
That's a hard pill to swallow. Because "West" is my favorite direction to travel. I saw Big Bend was also closed down in Texas.

·
Registered
724 Posts
That's a hard pill to swallow. Because "West" is my favorite direction to travel. I saw Big Bend was also closed down in Texas.
Big Bend? That's about as silly as Death Valley. It's very easy to stay away from people. Funny, I always thought hitting the NP's, SP's, and camping was a way to be on your own, away from people. I didn't know it was now considered a Social Event.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Reactions: bpe

·
Registered
853 Posts
Interesting read
Yeah, I feel like there continues to be so much speculation or misinformation being touted as fact (not unusual, right?) but this article seemed to be sticking with what was known and not trying to instill yet more panic...

·
American Legion Rider
20,598 Posts
Don't you just love hindsight. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Take your best shot and move on. I'll guarantee if we had not shut down, President Trump would have been raked over the coals for not, guarantee it. It's a no win situation. I still think as I've said before, that I think the bug has been here all along, they just found a name to give it this year. But it was called flu deaths other years. What will it be next year or the year after is the new question in my mind. It will be something.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Yeah, I feel like there continues to be so much speculation or misinformation being touted as fact
Just the facts
Here's a fact:
Retail sales down 8.7% for March. Biggest one month decline in the history of the nation. 'Expert economist' now saying a recession worse than what they originally expected is to follow.

Well I for one am shocked, who would have thought that grinding gears to a halt could be so bad. Apparently not the 'expert economist'.
Not smarter than a 5th grader
If it wasn't for the TP hoarders, it would have been worse than that

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
Back in 82 unit retail sales in the boat business were down 75%. Many folks were walking away from their mortgages.
This is small change compared to that. Was about this time of year. We laid off 10 from the staff of 16.
All manner of hindsight will follow this event, just like everything else.
My expert in the building department just told me " It is in there somewhere " referring to something in the building code, that I can not find, and he is not sure how to find it either.
UK

·
American Legion Rider
20,598 Posts
My expert in the building department just told me " It is in there somewhere "
They’ve been predicting an economic recession for years. Guess if you wait long enough something will make every prediction come true.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Back in 82 unit retail sales in the boat business were down 75%. Many folks were walking away from their mortgages.
This is small change compared to that.
That is completely different. That's just one business. There are failed business's even in the best of times. The 8.7% America is looking at now (next month the April number will look worse) is record breaking, across the board, and unrecoverable by many business's and will have an impact that will last for years, if not decades.
They’ve been predicting an economic recession for years. Guess if you wait long enough something will make every prediction come true.
Recessions come and go all the time. It's part of a natural cycle. Not all recessions are created equal. Most come and go with most not even noticing them. This one has the potential to top the great depression of the 30's, it's all but guaranteed to top the more recent Obama recession, making it the worse any one in this life time has seen. Many that skirted through that recession won't be so lucky this time.

You guys can sugar coat this all you want, that's not going to change anything .

·
American Legion Rider
20,598 Posts
You guys can sugar coat this all you want, that's not going to change anything .
No sugar coating here. There are businesses barely hanging on anyway. All they needed is a slight push to go under so they'll blame it on Trump or the virus and not their business practices or product/service. But now they'll have something to blame it all that they like much better than to admit their own failure. We should come out of this much better though with a good house cleaning and bringing jobs back to this country. Or at least the potential is there. Whether we make it actually happen is questionable since everyone still wants high wages and cheap to purchase items. That has to change but I have my doubts there. A burger flipper is not worth $15/hr. Now the programmer that makes the robot run to replace that spitting burger flipper, yes, and more potentially.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
There are businesses barely hanging on anyway. All they needed is a slight push to go under so they'll blame it on Trump or the virus and not their business practices or product/service.
There's certainly truth in this.
But
the vast majorities of business failures will be a direct result from the pandemic. For the most part there is nothing Trump could have done to prevent it anyway.

This part I state as opinion and not fact:
I think this would have led to some sort of recession in the States even if the virus had never made it here at all. What's going on in the rest of the world would have been enough to have an economic impact on us.

This part I state as fact and not opinion:
Even if the virus had never made it to the States. The fear factor alone would have driven the recession deep.
A burger flipper is not worth $15/hr.
Agreed.
But
this raises an interesting point. This goes to a point that not all good economies are created equal. This used to be a job that was handled by teenagers wanting to make money to go out cruising with on Saturday nights. Now it's primarily a job handled by adults trying to survive and raise families on. Whether or not poor choices were made by these adults that led to these "career" options is neither here nor there at this point. It is what it is. And what it is, is an economy a little more fragile than what it could have been to begin with.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
But. I gave you the example of the company I worked for, and as you said it was one business. But, there were large numbers of businesses that failed, all due to the extreme high interest rates. And hundreds or thousands of mortgage foreclosures. Some folks like teachers were not affected with regards to their pay, but still whined they were not keeping up with inflation. So far this has been a month closure. I know full well the financial strains on the average family. It is tough for many. But it has and did happen in the past. BUT. " this time it is different " is a common chorus heard every time something negative happens. The cause can have a new twist, and the results can have differing affects, but generally it is just another downturn that we should all think about and plan for. The folks that are well leveraged in the real estate market, and are out of work, will have a problem. How well did they plan for a downturn?
Tanzer, C&C, US Yachts, Hunter, Bayfield, Aloha, Peason, Ontario, are just a few of the yacht builders that closed.
UK

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
A month is enough to cause serious repercussions. This isn't over yet, not by a long shot. Seems like CA has been shut down for more like 2 months. If I'm not mistaken, CA just by themselves has about the 5th or 6th largest economies in the world.

Bottom line:
It's too late. The damage is done.

·
Registered
97 CBR900RR, 98 VFR800, 05 VTX1800
216 Posts
All they needed is a slight push to go under so they'll blame it on Trump or the virus
they should really blame government overreach. the economy was going well until this manufactured crisis put a stop to everything. the steps countries have taken during this disease have never happened in history. diseases far worse than this have without nearly these repercussions.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
The one wise saying that FDR did say (and probably the only one) applies here:
You have nothing to fear, but fear it's self
Just to be clear, still my least favorite president

221 - 240 of 256 Posts