Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I would not worry about it. Worry more about getting the regular flu that has been hitting millions across the country. About 2 months ago I had a really severe cold, and just as I was recovering after two weeks, I came down with the flu. Despite taking Tamaflu I was really, really sick for almost another two weeks, then just weak and not feeling well for at least another month after that. I'm 76, with a history of heart disease, mild COPD, only one kidney and a grouchy personality but I survived just fine and I am not worried about coronavirus at all. From the numbers, this coronavirus, while very contagious, is very mild for most people. If you are really worried, just try to avoid crowds, wash your hands frequently and hardest of all, try not touching your face. But panic and fear are your enemy. It likely will spread a lot further before it stops spreading, but I doubt that it will be as deadly as the normal flu that we see every year. Good luck. If all else fails, two to three ounces of Jack Daniels will make you feel much better.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
2 cases confirmed here also. But the good news is, the stock market rebounded.
When the stock market takes a dive based on peoples chicken S fears

·
Visionary
3,151 Posts
Worry? Me? I only work at one of the busiest international airports in the country, where could I ever get exposed? :)

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Speaking of Airports, regardless of what our government is saying about doing screenings, US passengers flying in from Italy and several other countries today said that they were never screened, not even their temperatures checked. If I had your job Mike, Id be wearing PPE. Some say dont worry about it, more people die from the flu. But the flu only kills 0.1% of the people that get it. So far Coronavirus has killed 2.6% of the people that get it. So if you get it, your chances are much higher of dying compared to the flu (especially if you are older with any respiratory illness). A lot less cases of Coronavirus, but its continuing to grow as we see it happening now.

Two weeks ago it was in one state, now its in 13 states with 122 cases and 9 deaths in the US. Unlike the flu, there wont be a Coronavirus vaccine ready for use for a minimum of 12 to 16 months, thats if they can come up with one quickly. Unbelievably, we are already seeing panic buying with water, toilet paper, canned and dry foods being snatched up from the grocery store shelves, forget about finding masks and hand sanitizers. Really the only prepping that I'm currently doing is limiting my exposure to large crowds or groups of people. I already wash my hands often throughout the day, but I'm definitely using more hand sanitizer more frequently now, especially when out and about. All three cases here are local, but how many people have they given it to?

·
Premium Member
7,094 Posts
It is the quarantine that will shut down my Island. In Willmington WA some firefighters have died. If any of our guys get it, the fire hall will get put in quarantine. We do not have back up as they did in WA. Same thing with the one grocery store. or the one gas station. Or if the power goes off, the hydro guys may not be allowed on our Island. I am filling all the water tanks from the well. I can not pump without power, but I can keep enough water for about a month. On Saturday I will stock up on other supplies. Canned goods, water, and automatic weapons. But I do not need the last one here. A 6 foot 4 X 2 should be enough. Shirley and I can use other place as required, as long as the ferries are running.
Or I could sail to Hawaii.

UK

·
Registered
668 Posts
It's never a bad idea to have at least a couple weeks worth of "living supplies" on hand, as well as a good water filter, a serious first aid kit, ammo (or a weapon of some sort if you don't do "gunz"), etc.

Something many will not remember until it is too late - Google will not work if the grid goes down so books on gardening and first aid would be a good idea as well. I do love me some prepping!

Oh, yeah, toilet paper! It'll be worth its weight in gold! :LOL:

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
130 Posts
Ya Vito had the same thing about the same time. That was a mf er.

Donna, my significant other, wants to stock up and just hold up here on the ridge for 2 or 3 months. Took her to the grocery store yesterday, we’re stocked to the gills. All kinds of Lysol
hand cleaner and stuff like that. Enough dog food for I don’t know how long.

Me, had lunch at China Wok buffet,
while she was shopping.
With 2 glasses of Coke a Cola.

Living on the edge.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dont forget the Clorox bleach Motogrady, another good item to have on hand in this type of situation.

It is the quarantine that will shut down my Island. In Willmington WA some firefighters have died. If any of our guys get it, the fire hall will get put in quarantine. We do not have back up as they did in WA. Same thing with the one grocery store. or the one gas station. Or if the power goes off, the hydro guys may not be allowed on our Island. I am filling all the water tanks from the well. I can not pump without power, but I can keep enough water for about a month. On Saturday I will stock up on other supplies. Canned goods, water, and automatic weapons. But I do not need the last one here. A 6 foot 4 X 2 should be enough. Shirley and I can use other place as required, as long as the ferries are running.
Or I could sail to Hawaii.

UK
Thats not a good situation. With your situation, no doubt, those are all good ideas.
Being in Florida on the Gulf coast, we always have our hurricane supplies. We have a few 5 gallon buckets of 20 year shelf life emergency prepper type foods, and we always have a good supply of canned & dry goods that we try to rotate through to keep them fresh.

I have seven 35 gallon food grade sealed poly drums for water storage. A generator, 70 gallons worth of fuel storage (that I have to go fill up and haul back from the station). One is a 15 gallon fuel station (can with a hose & nozzle) that I fill every couple of months with higher octane ethanol free fuel for one of the bikes. As for home defense, I'm in a firearms related business, so I'm always ready when it comes to that aspect of prepping.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One thing I did forget to mention. The lady who's been cutting my hair for the last 20 years is Korean. She just got back from there after a two month long visit to see her family. She texted me a few days ago to let me know that she is back, without thinking I replied that I'll call her Tuesday and set up for a cut. Then it hit me, Coronavirus in Korea is not good. I decided to text her back and told here that I will be in touch in a few weeks....

·
American Legion Rider
19,496 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,094 Posts
China bought a bunch of masks from Iran. Half the Iran politicians are sick. Great to see logic at work. I tried to find info about the fire station in WA, but they ( the news ) seems to be keeping quiet about it. I got the info from Fireman Ozzy David, who got it from a briefing by our fire chief. David was here this morning and we chatted about it.
My big water tank is leaking at the bottom tap. I put the cap on and it leaks thru that too. I will make a rubber seal tomorrow. I have plenty of water in my well, but it would be nice if it stayed in my storage tank.

UK

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think it's good to be prepared. I read quite a lot and I think this virus sucks quite a lot unfortunately, and I think it's just beginning :(

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
We could just build a wall around the country to keep the virus out.
Not really seeing what the problem is

·
Premium Member
7,094 Posts
No MotoGP in Qatar on Sunday. Moto2 and Moto3 will run. That has to make sense somehow. Stated reason is MotoGP has many folks from Italy.

UK

·
Registered
36 Posts
Check progress here:

It's quite regularly up-to-dated (I would say a few times per day, at least once per day) and quite accurate.

1 - 20 of 205 Posts