Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who all has ridden the Coronado Trial in Eastern AZ (also known as the Devil's Highway and Hiwa 191)? I rode the entire thing yesterday (had ridden the first part of it once before). In a word: Wow! Definitely the most technical road I have ridden in my short riding career. Over 400 switchbacks in 120 miles or so. Many 10-15 mph. That road taught me a lot and has much more to teach me. My Vulcan 500 handled it well. I am sore today and I couldn't feel my hindparts last night. I did a total of 420 miles yesterday with the CT being the center portion of it. Beautiful scenery! Wonderful curvy mountain roads! There are so many things I could write about it, but for now just: Wow! To those who have ridden it, what did you think? I am assuming RonK has, as he is in my state. I saw a lot of other bikes on the road. Most folks looked happy. An exception was the sportbiker that did not seem to know which lane was his....

·
Registered
228 Posts
Haven't ridden it but it will be on my bucket list. Thanks for the info and if you got them pictures please.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I rode it North to South down from Springerville. I will ride it South to North next time to see what that is like. Most of the ride once you hit the rim was, for me, a 3rd and 4th gear proposition (6 speed bike). There was one particularly gnarly hairpin that I dropped to 2nd for.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Ummm Ron...I really think you ought to ride the bike over it. I think you're a little too out of shape to try to "run" it. :D :D

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
LOL!!! Ok, you do that and let me know how it works out for you. You should get a lot of great pictures that way at least.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL!!! Ok, you do that and let me know how it works out for you. You should get a lot of great pictures that way at least.
The good news is that if he falls when he is running, he will roll all the way to the bottom so he won't have to wait for help to come to him!! :)

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
It does look like a beautiful road to ride. One of these days we hope to get back to touring on our bike. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have done this about 4 times. The last time, last spring, we made it a two day ride staying at Hannigans Meadow Lodge.
Check it out. you can make this into a 4 day event, heading into Pie Town NM.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have done this about 4 times. The last time, last spring, we made it a two day ride staying at Hannigans Meadow Lodge.
Check it out. you can make this into a 4 day event, heading into Pie Town NM.
That is funny you mentioned that. I actually had intended to ride up 12 and catch 60 back to where I live and stop in at Pie Town for some pie. I know a girl who used to work there. I ran out of time and energy. I will catch Pie Town on one of my rides!!

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,867 Posts
One of my Favorite Rides had to do some searching before found the Pics .. Hopefully get to ride this at least once more .. But is a long haul from Florida ..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts