Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 231 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, the guy who passed me. But when the cop went by at 110+ I felt he was endangering EVERYONE on the road far more than the guy doing 10 over.

Most cops today seem to be on a "I can do no wrong" power trip. And it's submit immediately and absolutely to their spoken commands or get beaten or shot these days. Protect and Serve is....history.

IMHO

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
no, the guy who passed me. But when the cop went by at 110+ I felt he was endangering EVERYONE on the road far more than the guy doing 10 over.

Most cops today seem to be on a "I can do no wrong" power trip. And it's submit immediately and absolutely to their spoken commands or get beaten or shot these days. Protect and Serve is....history.

IMHO
Have you had some kind of trouble with a cop? Frankly I have found our local county mounties to be quite friendly unless I was doing something wrong and they caught me at it.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
So, why was the cop after the guy?

(Ted Bundy was captured after being stopped for a tail light out.)
I saw a customer of mine get administered the sobriety test twice one morning as he was about to pull in for a tail light that wasn't working. It seems the officer couldn't tell the difference between alcohol and mouthwash.

I don't know how it is in most places, but cops around here spend more times writing seat belt tickets than patrolling neighborhoods.

·
Hooker
921 Posts
Most cops are just out there to generate revenue. That, and to become increasingly militarized. Makes me think that they realize that if things don't change in this country, ****'s gonna get pretty bad.

You can't read the news for more than a day without hearing about a cop wrongfully harming somebody. Hell, since America went to war after 9/11, more Americans have been killed by cops than by terrorists.

Try going 10 over in a downpour, and see how much they care about "administering justice." I've gotten out of a few speeding tickets because the cop didn't want to stand there in the rain.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Well just like every other profession on the planet, there's gonna be a few butt-heads who joined the police force & wind up bringing the whole forces reputation down.

Kinda similar to the (pretty low %) of butt-head bikers whom wind up making all bikers look bad?

It doesn't do any good to throw blanket statements at entire categories, unless you truly believe that ALL cops are bad.. in which case you may be the one in need of professional counseling & an attitude adjustment, not the cop(s)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
unless you truly believe that ALL cops are bad..
I don't think rational person would think all cops are bad. It is like any other group of people, most are probably pretty good folks, then there are the others.

My problem with cops are they are forced to be revenue collectors. Not only that many of them seem to get into law enforcement because they are control freaks.

My ex brother in-law was one of bad ones, he is now six feet under and not missed a bit.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The cops, the good ones at least, need to understand that America has HAD IT with them covering up for the bad ones. The blue line has got to come to an end.

The way it will happen is mandatory badge-cams on all LEO's. Too much untruthful testimony has been exposed by civilians filming cops. Too many abuses, too many control freaks, bullies.

As for me personally, I'm law abiding, I don't use illegal drugs, I don't speed in neighborhoods, I pay my taxes and insure my vehicles, as required by law.

When guys like ME no longer support the police, it's time the police took a serious look at themselves and what they've become, with the Armored Vehicles, SWAT teams tearing down doors, beating up journalists, snipers pointing loaded weapons at mere protestors, and using the utterly misguided "War on Drugs" as an excuse for ANYTHING, including unreasonable searches and seizures.

Most cops today will readily violate citizens Constitutional Rights, such as the right to public assembly, free speech, and a free press. Charge you with "obstructing the sidewalk" or some such. We saw it during Occupy, we saw it in NYC, we saw it during Bush's Presidency, and we saw it in Ferguson.

High speed chases are another prime example. They endanger the public and often end in the deaths of "non-combatants." And for what? All to catch some guy with a warrant and a car load of drugs?

Along with the police's well documented mistreatment of people of color.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
I look at your avatar as a picture of a biker, or someone who has a motorcycle as a sign of your respect to others here who have an interest in riding. It is directed at each person that reads your forum posts and shows immaturity in my opinion. It garners the same respect I would give a renegade cop.

Unfortunately, with the ease of the internet, bad cops are so easy to show, and they are constantly showcased on video sites. Granted, there are bad ones, just like there are bad bikers.

As far as the police organization, sure, it has gotten out of hand, and thanks to the free ride offered by the government, it has the support of the entitlement people of America. There is going to come a time when the free ride people will no longer get what they expect, then the riots will start and there will not be any good cops. Then, and only then will it become the end of the country that many have died for to protect. But to bash all cops because a few get baited or have a bad day doesn't make them bad all the time. Everyone has bad days, most get past it, some don't. The ones that can't work past it do need to be removed from the organization, I think all will agree. I also agree that they need to reevaluate their priorities, but that won't happen.

Try searching for good cops and see what happens, you might be surprised. Of course, nobody makes a big deal out of it, especially the cops themselves.

Myself, I have been fortunate to never run into one of these bad cops, and the tickets I have gotten, I earned with my ability to ignore the laws. I feel sorry for those that have to live in fear of the police.

·
Hooker
921 Posts
Kinda similar to the (pretty low %) of butt-head bikers whom wind up making all bikers look bad?
Not really. How many times have you heard anything about a biker beating, killing, robbing, detaining, or searching a civilian in the past decade? Maybe a dozen or so?
The cops have killed over 5,000 Americans since 9/11, and beaten tens of thousands more. This number is high enough for me to believe that they are a problem - generally speaking.

If nothing else, read the testimonies and public statements from the victims. Half of 'em are guys like you, who believe that the cops are here to help us and keep us all warm and fuzzy and safe, until they get stopped by a cop having a bad day, get beaten, tazed, or maced, and now they're just confused and angry.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
And most of the bad cops are from locations where the majority of the population is on the hand out system. Gangs are prevalent, and the innocent people are scared to go out for fear of being lumped in with the rest.

Cops in those cities have a job that keeps them scared for their lives, afraid they won't be able to go home when their shift is over because everyone seems to be against them. Sure, that's no reason or excuse, but it is understandable.

It's a shame that all cops in all locations have to be considered to be bad cops, and nothing said can change people's minds about them. If the cops here were bad, people would be afraid to call them. But when they do, they all of the sudden expect them to be good cops.

·
Hooker
921 Posts
It's statistically more dangerous to be a gas station clerk than a cop. If they're constantly in fear while doing their job, they need to look at another job.
If they let their fear turn into violence and anger, they need another job, and probably some therapy. Certainly not authority and a gun.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
It's statistically more dangerous to be a gas station clerk than a cop. If they're constantly in fear while doing their job, they need to look at another job.
If they let their fear turn into violence and anger, they need another job, and probably some therapy. Certainly not authority and a gun.
This I agree 100% with.

But the gas station attendants that are more at risk are in the cities where the crime rates are high because of reasons other than bad cops.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
I just can't keep my mouth shut here. You mention Ferguson. Have you ever been to that city? Many of the folks that live there tend to actually live on the 2nd or 3rd floor of their home due to drive by shootings and such. It is not a place I would even want to drive thru in a car. There are thugs standing around on the sidewalks and they won't hesitate to attack you. There are "good" people that live there but they are so afraid.

I got lost once and ended up there. It was so scary! An older black lady recognized I was lost and advised me to turn around and go right at the next stop sign and keep on going, which I did!! That night on the news there was a shooting on the very street I was on within 2 hours of me being there.

As stated above, those officers are afraid for their lives every shift. It is not like being an officer in most other areas. I'm surprised anyone would do that job. If you take an officer out of another area and put them there I'd just about bet they would quit before the shift is over.

1 - 20 of 231 Posts