Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I just got my first bike recently and I'm having a little trouble finding where to check my coolant level. I feel like an idiot asking but I tried looking in the Haynes manual and the manual that came with the bike and it didn't seem to help. It's a 2000 Suzuki marauder VZ 800. Any help at all would be so very much appreciated.

·
1999 CBR 600 F4
345 Posts
I've never seen a bike with a coolant indication level. Normally I just fill it up until it runs out of the over-flow. Depending on what anti-freeze you have, it's already pre-mixed with distilled water, or you'll need to 50:50 ratio it out yourself.

If I were you, I'd find the lowest line to the radiator, pull it, let it drain out, and fill with some newer 50:50 pre-mixed.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
The parts fiche at BoulevardSuzuki shows a cap and recovery tank, above and behind the radiator, so it is probably in the area in front of the tank. I couldn't find any photos of how to access it,though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys. thank you all so much for the reply. yea I ended up just adding some coolant to the tank and it overflowed pretty much right away so I think it's good. just thought there'd be a window with and indication line or something. thanks so much again and have a good day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey, I'm a pretty new rider. Was wondering about changing my coolant out. My temperature light comes on sometimes, even when I've just started out. I'm guessing the 90 degree temps in Louisiana may have something to do with that. Regardless, I need to know whether I should drain the coolant that's in there and replace it and whether or not there is a way to drain it out. OR, should I just make sure it's full and add as needed. My ex used to help with maintenance, but it looks like now I am on my own. He mentioned last winter that the light comes on due to a sensor. I don't have the money to change sensors right now, so I'm thinking I need to just make sure the coolant is good. I'd rather not overheat and tear up my bike. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
There are two sensors - one for the fan, and one for the temp light. The temp sensor could be going bad, or you could have air in the system. Check that the system is full of coolant. I usually roll the front wheel up onto a 2x4, or similar block, to make sure the radiator cap is higher than the rest of the system, then open the cap (don't do this with the engine hot). If coolant isn't all the way to the neck, you need to add some. After your next ride, let it cool, and check the level again. Once the system is full, cold, the coolant will expand into the return bottle, then go back to the radiator as it cools again.

If the level was full, your sensor may be going.

Which bike are we talking about? The marauder?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks so much for your reply. Yes, I'm talking about the Marauder. I found a PDF version of the service manual, and was able to answer a lot of my questions that way. Bit of a challenge maintaining my bike on my own. :) A fun challenge. Not impossible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Care to share?

Hey Krazi.ness, where did you find that pdf manual for the marauder-I'd be forever grateful if you could point me in the right direction.
Cheers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts