Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I love my 650 vStar, it's starting to feel a little lacking. For local rides, it's fine, but at highway speeds I'm not liking the rpm's. I keep looking for 6th gear as has been discussed in another thread. I'd like to take some longer trips but hesitate to on this bike.

ANYWAY... there are two Stratoliners for sale relatively close, both clean bikes and both are 2006 models. One has 10K miles with new tires. The other has 20k miles. Both fully and similarly equipped.

I've done some googling for info but would also like some advice from the hive.

What's the good, bad and ugly?

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
I can't think of one damn reason.

Other than it's a Yamaha!!!;)

Oh and one of the instructors where I took my ARC said his Camry got better fuel mileage. Somewhere in the twenties, but it was almost brand new, so he was hoping it would do way better when it broke in. They're kinda cool looking though.... For a Yamaha.:D

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
You might want to find another site. I got no dang reason not to for you. In fact I wonder what took so long.:D

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
You'll never find me trying to talk you out of getting another bike. Go for it!

And I think they look kinda cool too. (Not as cool as the Boeing Stratoliner, of course.)

·
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't think of one damn reason.

Other than it's a Yamaha!!!;)

Oh and one of the instructors where I took my ARC said his Camry got better fuel mileage. Somewhere in the twenties, but it was almost brand new, so he was hoping it would do way better when it broke in. They're kinda cool looking though.... For a Yamaha.:D
I expect no less than honest replies here, even if accompanied by a jab in the ribs. :p

ODE... thanks for the heads up on the mileage. A little more research finds the mileage to be on the disappointing side for most owners. There are always those reporting 45-50, but the realistic responses suggest an average around 35.

'Hog' and 'Eye', I appreciate your votes of confidence. I'm not going to put everyone through a bunch of hand-wringing drama over getting a different bike. If I can't pay for something I don't buy it. And I'm conservative by nature, so I generally settle for less... hence a Yamaha over a Harley! :biggrin:

Biggest concern was if there were any major glaring problems with the Stratoliners. Sounds like they are good solid bikes, if not a bit thirsty.

Thanks!

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
Well you don't say how much your bank has earmarked for a bike. That would be my only question. We are going into the time of year that people that decided they really aren't the biker type start putting their prized bike up for sale. So I would just wonder if you could get more for the money. Since you are thinking a Strat, that would suggest you don't want a radio. Which means to me a Road King might be an option and I've seen some nice ones lately because of Indian sales and people think they can do better but in reality the market is down. But I understand if that's the bike you've always wanted too. Personally I take a look at a Victory but that's just me. In other words make sure it's the most for the bucks and it really fits you.:)

·
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My piggy bank is healthy enough to indulge a crazy impulse so it's my self-control providing the restraint. ;)

I do appreciate your thoughts on the matter. No... a Stratoliner is not the bike I always wanted. I just don't want to do the incremental step thing going through an 1100 to a 1300 to an +1600 machine. The Statoliners I'm referencing are priced around 6500. They seem like a decent big bike for the money.

Nope, I don't want/need a radio/sound system.

I am very open to suggestions. To be honest I've not seriously considered a Harley because of the cost and frankly have been confused by all the models. I will have to educate myself in that area I guess.

I learned long ago to not do impulse buys, so I'm thinking of hitting dealers around the area the next few weeks, sit my behind on some bikes and consider widening my horizons. I bought the vStar late in the year and got a really good deal as the dealer was heavy on inventory. I have no problem employing the same strategy again.

Thanks Hog!

Road King huh?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Big powerful cruiser lots of low end torque. Only issue no 6th gear and not a lot of after market. Overall a good bike.:71baldboy:

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I am very open to suggestions. To be honest I've not seriously considered a Harley because of the cost and frankly have been confused by all the models. I will have to educate myself in that area I guess.
The biggest thing is to get familiar with the blue book guides before you buy one. :)

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
That's a fly-n-ride right there!

·
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You just need to go around Kansas. ;)
Can't go around KS... it's IN Kansas! :biggrin: Only a 5 1/2 hour trip (and almost the same route I'd take to visit a cousin another 3 hrs on down the road.)

BUT, tempting as it is, I can't justify spending 13K, even if it is a pretty good deal and money not the problem. (The piggy bank has enough, just don't want to let it get too low!)

·
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The biggest thing is to get familiar with the blue book guides before you buy one. :)
I did run a couple of Craigslist finds (Road Kings) through NADA and Kelly and the first thing to stump me was all the various configurations available on the same basic model, so yeah, I need educating on Harley's AND blue book guides!

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
They are nice bikes. They get hot in the summer though. I love the aluminum frame, it makes it feel like a 250 when you stand it up. Has the same engine as the Raider, but is geared a little lower I think. Should get 40mpg without a problem, not that it matters. It will run fine on 87 octane real gas, and I know you have a Shell station with 91 octane real gas.

The only down side I can think of right now is the price of the belt, if it's the same as the Raider, it can only be purchased as an OEM part number because it is the only belt made to fit.

Are you trading in the 650?

·
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They are nice bikes. They get hot in the summer though. I love the aluminum frame, it makes it feel like a 250 when you stand it up. Has the same engine as the Raider, but is geared a little lower I think. Should get 40mpg without a problem, not that it matters. It will run fine on 87 octane real gas, and I know you have a Shell station with 91 octane real gas.

The only down side I can think of right now is the price of the belt, if it's the same as the Raider, it can only be purchased as an OEM part number because it is the only belt made to fit.

Are you trading in the 650?
More good info! Thanks!

Yeah, the 650 will go if I upgrade, whether private sale or trade in depends on the deal.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Average retail is $7120, low retail is $5410, I would say that the asking price is fair, but I would still try and get a few more bucks off.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts