Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow riders,

I currently have a GS500F and am considering an upgrade to a 2008 ZX-6R with 18K miles. The only thing is, it has a prior salvage/rebuilt title. The bike looks very good, almost no blemishes. I do have pictures of the bike from when it was crashed. It was a lowslide, no idea how fast, but the damage was to the right side fairings, the right bar end, cracked rear cowl, stator, and right mirror. There were scuffs, and a few cracks. It doesn't look that bad and the frame appears untouched. The right side had literally no damage. It was given a salvage title but when it was "rebuilt" in Minnesota, they retitled the bike as a "clean and clear" title. When the guy purchased it, the title from MN said clean but in Wisconsin, the title came back as a prior salvage.

In short, my questions are:
- How much should I pay for the bike?
- Is it worth buying a bike like this?
- What else should I look at?
- Anyone have any experience with a rebuilt salvage or prior salvage title bike?

Thank you all in advance.

Edit...here are a few pictures of the bike

·
Registered
315 Posts
salvage/rebuild

Here, a wrecked brand new Harley with only about 4k in damage went for the $75 minimum at auction! There was ONE bid, with NO reserve. My suggestion would be to take someone with you to look at the bike and see what is needed for repair/restoration. There are good buys at auctions and such, but you have to have someone, preferably a motorcycle mechanic with you to check the bike out so you have a good idea what you are getting into.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here, a wrecked brand new Harley with only about 4k in damage went for the $75 minimum at auction! There was ONE bid, with NO reserve. My suggestion would be to take someone with you to look at the bike and see what is needed for repair/restoration. There are good buys at auctions and such, but you have to have someone, preferably a motorcycle mechanic with you to check the bike out so you have a good idea what you are getting into.
Thanks for getting back to me, I was hoping someone would. Well, the bike is technically not a salvage anymore and can legally be on the road. It was given a clean title in MN but once the bike got to WI, it was given a prior salvage aka rebuilt salvage title. This means it passed the frame, suspension, etc tests through the DMV police station in MN and has passed the inspections here in Wisconsin. With that said, it is still a prior salvaged and was wondering what would be a good amount to buy it for. By looking at it, you can't tell it's been damaged.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,790 Posts
What are they asking for it, and what would an identical bike with a regular clean title sell for?

Then ask yourself is it worth the difference?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What are they asking for it, and what would an identical bike with a regular clean title sell for?

Then ask yourself is it worth the difference?
Yes, I understand. Roughly 50% off. I have a buddy who lives in a different state who is a mechanic and works on bikes. He has seen the pictures of the bike and thinks it's alright but I'm still not sure. He said that alot more than half of the sport bikes that carry clean titles would be written off as totaled if they actually carried complete coverage and claimed it. I just wish he was with me to check out the bike.

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
Do you have a working relationship with a local shop/mechanic? If so, ask if they would be willing to go check it out with you, for a fee -- offer to pay them for their professional services/evaluation. Of course, this assumes you have a good working relationship with a mechanic...

My concerns would be: during the low-side, did the bike impact anything besides the road surface? Low-sliding will chew up bodywork, and grind off hard parts (did any metal filings reach the engine oil?). A sudden impact could bend things like the crankshaft... If it were just a low-slide, and no filings reached the engine oil, then it should be alright.

I had a Honda that low-sided on me, twice. The first was at 20 MPH, max., grinding off the engine guard bar, and handlebar grips; the second, was at 40 MPH, and it ground off a bit more. The bike was repaired, and it ran perfectly, for a few thousand miles after, before I sold it. Caveat emptor. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If it were me the 1st thing I'd do is peel off all that pretty new replacement tupperware & inspect what lies underneath. If the guy who repaired it did a decent job with the whole bike not just slapped on new bodywork then it might be a good purchase.

Is your plan to keep it for a while or sell it soon? Be prepared to 'sell cheap' if you do manage to 'buy cheap' and you'll be OK

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it were me the 1st thing I'd do is peel off all that pretty new replacement tupperware & inspect what lies underneath. If the guy who repaired it did a decent job with the whole bike not just slapped on new bodywork then it might be a good purchase.

Is your plan to keep it for a while or sell it soon? Be prepared to 'sell cheap' if you do manage to 'buy cheap' and you'll be OK
Plan to just ride it until it drops. I do appreciate all the feedback and honesty.

·
7,448 Posts
"50% off" really doesn't help us to help you: 50% 0ff of HOW much? Is it selling for $2,500 or $4,000?

It really takes very little for a bike to be considered totaled nowadays.

Sam:smiley_drinkcoffee:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, ask my buddy told me, most sport bikes that have been dropped would likely be salvaged if they filed a claim.

That's why I am asking, what would be a good price?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
you are jumping the gun.
don't worry about the price yet.

WORRY about what really happened to the bike.
Was it just a low-side, or was the accident worse than that?
Suppose you wrecked your bike and you wanted to re-sell it. What would you tell people? If you tell them "well it was ONLY a low side accident", then it's a way for explaining the damage.

You could be totally right. Maybe it was only a low-side. But you need to check the frame VERY carefully. You need to check the forks VERY carefully. Are there any signs of impact, scratches or damage. If a bike goes low-side, it can still slide across the road and hit something solid.

Right now, you should worry more about the condition of the bike - in terms of safety. If it's got minor low-side damage, that can be fixed. But the real question is, why didn't the original owner fix the minor damage themselves???

cheers,
dT

·
7,448 Posts
"That's why I am asking, what would be a good price?":frown:

$500 and a 'Happy Meal.';)

Sam:smiley_drinkcoffee:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
you are jumping the gun.
don't worry about the price yet.

WORRY about what really happened to the bike.
Was it just a low-side, or was the accident worse than that?
Suppose you wrecked your bike and you wanted to re-sell it. What would you tell people? If you tell them "well it was ONLY a low side accident", then it's a way for explaining the damage.

You could be totally right. Maybe it was only a low-side. But you need to check the frame VERY carefully. You need to check the forks VERY carefully. Are there any signs of impact, scratches or damage. If a bike goes low-side, it can still slide across the road and hit something solid.

Right now, you should worry more about the condition of the bike - in terms of safety. If it's got minor low-side damage, that can be fixed. But the real question is, why didn't the original owner fix the minor damage themselves???

cheers,
dT
Completely understood.

It was a low side, not in a collision. What I do worry about when buying a used bike is the knowledge that nearly 1/2 of all sportbikes on the road in the US have been in some sort of "wreck" being a single vehicle accident or a crash. Most do not file claims and thus, we could easily buy a clean title bike not knowing it was already a wrecked bike.

As far as the original owner not fixing it themselves, I'm not sure. Maybe they wanted the payout instead, maybe they have no knowledge of fixing bikes, didn't feel it was worth the hassle or maybe it was completely trashed...good thing it is not the latter though. The bike was fixed completely. The accident happened in March of 2014, and then fixed and given a CLEAN title in June of 2014 in Minnesota. The current owner bought the bike from Minnesota and rode it 5 hours home to Wisconsin. When the title came back from the Wisconsin DOT, it came back with a prior salvage title and that's how he knew it was in a wreck. I have the VIN and have ran a report, purchased the pictures and report of the bike before it was restored. I contacted our WI DMV/DOT and they gave me the same answers as the report. Again, the bike was checked by the Minnesota DOT and given a clean title but in Wisconsin and most states, a salvaged motorcycle can not be given a clean title afterward. The bike, in its current state, if taken and registered in Minnesota, would be given a clean title. Thanks for the concern and I do appreciate all of the feedback.

·
7,448 Posts
Just a quick question: Where did you get your facts to make the statement that; "Nearly one half of all the Sportbikes on the road in the US have been in some sort of wreck etc etc etc."????

Not being argumentative but I don't believe it at all and I want a link of some kind.

I have had many Sportbikes/ superbikes/ crotch rockets and have never had an accident at all---and neither have any of my fellow riders. I have heard about lots of them of course but 1/2---come on!;)

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Just a quick question: Where did you get your facts to make the statement that; "Nearly one half of all the Sportbikes on the road in the US have been in some sort of wreck etc etc etc."????

Not being argumentative but I don't believe it at all and I want a link of some kind.

I have had many Sportbikes/ superbikes/ crotch rockets and have never had an accident at all---and neither have any of my fellow riders. I have heard about lots of them of course but 1/2---come on!;)

Sam:coffeescreen:
The almost half was something my buddy from MN said to me when I talked to him about this bike. He's nothing special but has been a rider for 12 years going on 13, runs track with an '09 R6 and rides an F4i and an '11 Superglide as his road bikes not to mention he's the mechanic at the Twin Cities HD dealership. He even says alot of the bikes he sees coming in are the sportbikes and he works for HD. Is it exactly 1/2 or maybe 40%, there aren't any hard data but go to a bike rally, which I have been too, riding my GS500F:), and look at the bikes. The 600cc sports and liter bikes are the ones with the most damage.

Go to your local salvage yard, look at the bikes. Get on cruiser forums or HD forums, and then get on sports bike forum. The truth is, alot of the guys and gals who ride sports bike have a different mentality and outlook and are looking to push their own limits. When I purchased my first bike last year, the GS500F, I looked at 18 bikes total with 14 of the 18 being 600cc SS. The four that weren't were two GS500Fs and two '07 and '06 650Rs. Of the 14 600cc bikes I saw, 11 of them either had scuffs, scratches, cracks, and or dents with 3 that looked clean. The two GS500Fs were clean and the '06 650R was clean while the '07 650R was scuffed up. That doesn't mean the bikes that weren't scuffed up or cracked were never dropped or involved in some sort of wreck as they easily could've been new plastics but that's definitely points in favor of non-600cc SS.

Again, a simple look at the NHTSA reports to the DOT over the past decade shows that SS bikes are 9 times more likely to be involved in accidents than cruisers and 4 times higher death rate than cruisers. The IIHS also comes up with the same thing.

Lastly, stats are recorded numbers. How many guys drop their bikes or have accidents that result in little bodily harm and do not report it to their insurance company or call the police? Unlike auto accidents, many bikers who can walk away do just that.

As far as links, lol, I need a 15 post count before I can put in links. Simply google cruiser vs sport bikes or google NHTSA motorcycle accidents and read.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts