Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I were set on buying a new Indian in the spring. But a good relative of mine offered us a 2007 Ultra Classic. It's hard to pass up because it was meticulously maintained by his dealer, and has just over 8,000 miles. And at a price that's hard to pass up. In pearl black paint it is fricken beautiful. His knee gives out without warning now, so he and his wife are looking at trikes.

It's mostly mechanically stock but with a bunch of chrome and non mechanical bits added. It has screamin eagle slip on mufflers, but no other mechanical mods. What are any areas of concern on this model year that I should be aware of?

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
a black Ultra with loud pipes?
One issue I can see is knowing which of the dozen in the parking lot is your's:p

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
That's what I have. What you will hear everyone says is get at least an 09 model because they changed the frame. I say so what. It can get a high speed wobble in curves but if you ride sanely you won't have a problem and even if you don't there cures for if. You'll also here about some sound dampening system for a 5th gear whine. Again I say so what. I don't have any idea if my has it or not. It's a Harley. It makes noise. It does have rather tall gears. Unless you are doing 75mph don't even think of going to that sixth gear. I happen to like mine. Even with all it's warts.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm familiar with some of the changes over the years. I know things have been advanced. But it is what it is. This will be a leisurely ride for my wife and me. I'm concerned with reliability or mechanical concerns more than anything else.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
Have 2 Friends with that had 07 Ultra's both put 100,000 + Miles on it with very few issues .. With 8,000 Miles on it, should give you many more Miles of Riding Pleasure ..

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
07 is a great platform and I don't know of any common issues that you have to be worried about.

Hog mentioned the high-speed wobble, but if you don't ride like a cop in hot pursuit it will never be a problem. I have never felt it happen in my 05. And if you want to ride like that you can add a chassis stabilizer for maybe 200 clams.

If you like it, and you like the price, bring it home. It's at least the right color for a motorcycle. :)

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I felt the wobble eye in curves but easy to power through...which is what you are supposed to do...but really barely noticeable

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the comments so far everyone. Thank Eye, for chiming in. If anyone knows of specific mechanical concerns I figured it would be you. Wife and I were set to order a new Roadmaster over the winter. I really do fit better on the Indian. But I can get this bike for 1/3 what we were going to drop on the Indian. And with just over 8000 miles it might as well be new. It belongs to my mom's cousin. They had good intentions to ride the hell out of the bike. They took it from WI to FL and back the first year. But then his knees started giving out and he's not confident on it anymore. This accounts for the low mileage. He's known for taking very well care of everything he owns. The bike is 2.5 hours from here. We go look at it on the 29th. I expect to ride it home that day.

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
Well I mention the wobble because I do see but I don't old lady the corners. And it's getting worse with mine which probably means the swing arm bushings are gone as well. A major contributing factor. But as has been stated there is a fix if you do see. I'm coming up on 50k miles on my 07 so it's getting time for a few needed repairs. But like I said, I like the bike. Even with it's warts.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good info. I remember reading about the wobble back when they changed the frames in '09. But I didn't pay much attention since my current HD is a 1200 Sporty and doesn't apply. I suspect I won't see the wobble, or at least not often enough for it to be a big concern. This will be our leisurely cruiser bike. The bonus of buying this less expensive bike (compared to the Indian) is my wife will let me keep the Sporty. :) So between that and the few other bikes in my garage, I can get my faster paced corner fix elsewhere.

I remembered something with the engines on these older models that concerned me. Doing some research points to it being the cam chain tensioner. But it looks like HD addressed this by the time to '07 bikes rolled out. Am I correct?

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
You won't see it unless you are moving it out a little. Like in the 80mph range on a 55mph curve. Well that's where I get it now anyway. And mine just recently started doing it. Which leads be to believe the swing arm bushings a worn.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I remembered something with the engines on these older models that concerned me. Doing some research points to it being the cam chain tensioner. But it looks like HD addressed this by the time to '07 bikes rolled out. Am I correct?
Yeap. There was a problem with a few of the 03 and 04's. A few of the cam chain plates were getting a burr due to the stamping dies getting dull sooner then expected. That burr would cause a pre-mature cam tensioner shoe wear and Harley initially thought there was a problem with the tensioner shoe material. Eventually it was traced back to the company that supplied the cam chains and the problem was fixed, but not before thousands and thousands of aftermarket upgrades were sold and installed.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Thanks for the comments so far everyone. Thank Eye, for chiming in. If anyone knows of specific mechanical concerns I figured it would be you. Wife and I were set to order a new Roadmaster over the winter. I really do fit better on the Indian. But I can get this bike for 1/3 what we were going to drop on the Indian. And with just over 8000 miles it might as well be new. It belongs to my mom's cousin. They had good intentions to ride the hell out of the bike. They took it from WI to FL and back the first year. But then his knees started giving out and he's not confident on it anymore. This accounts for the low mileage. He's known for taking very well care of everything he owns. The bike is 2.5 hours from here. We go look at it on the 29th. I expect to ride it home that day.
At 8,000 miles it's only just been broken in and not much more. For all intents and purposes that's a new bike. And, since the price is so good, you can always look at possibly changing up a few things to make the bike fit you better. You have a lot of options for customizing the bike to your liking and comfort. On my 05 Roadking, for example, I took off the floor boards and added forward controls and a custom seat so I could stay on it for longer periods with less pain.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll definitely look into some things. I'm 6'6", so anything I can do to let myself stretch out a bit more will be nice. I know my wife doesn't like the saddle bag bars on the pre-Rushmore models because they press against her calves. I'll need to address that.

·
Registered
257 Posts
A bike you like, low miles, meticulously maintained, a great price - I say you can't go wrong ! Hogcowboy owns one the same year, 2007, I'm sure he'll chime in here soon, but an Ultra is a great touring bike and great for all kinds of riding. I have a friend with a 99' ultra with almost 200k miles on it.

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
Thanks doc. I was just figuring it was an oversight.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts