Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I'm digging what I'm reading on this forum. It looks like a great resource!

I'm getting ready to buy my first bike. I was wondering what things I should be considering when I do so. I want a bike that will be EASY to maintain. Does one bike have more advantages that others? I also don't have much cash. I'm trying to trade my old bug for a bike, but so far no one is biting.

I like the Rebel I used in the license class. I also like the CL450s

Any thoughts or suggestions for things to consider in regardto engine style or size?

Thanks All!

·
Registered
58 Posts
The Rebel is a good choice. I went through the same thing when looking for a first bike. Found a 2006 on CL with less than 500 mile for $1800.00. I am still of the opinion of starting with something like the Rebel to develop skills was a great decisions. Bigger, faster bikes will always be there. Let's build some solid skills first. Yeah, it's only a 250. Still have a blast on it though. My bet is so will you.

It has a CV carb, so be on the lookout for the period of time it has been sitting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm thinking that I want to get a bike and hang on to it. Should I consider moving to a higher cc, or should 250 do me fine? I would most likely be driving on highway occasionally, but the roads around here go up to 50mph.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I feel you should ride what you feel comfortable on. Try out a few different sizes and find what you like the best. It should be something you can balance easily, not struggle to push across a parking lot. I started off on a 650, but I've been on the back of a bike almost all my adult life, so I know somewhat what to expect. But I am looking forward to taking my BRC on a 250, as it's easier to manage the slow turns and such. It's certainly possible to do the course on a big bike, but it takes more skill than a beginner usually has.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I like how other countries have their laws where you have to retest for any significant change in bike size. It would prevent alot of beginners that go for the big bikes for style rather than comfort. I've seen a few people start off on 1100's and dump them in a weeks time because the bike was too big for their skill level.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm thinking that I want to get a bike and hang on to it. Should I consider moving to a higher cc, or should 250 do me fine? I would most likely be driving on highway occasionally, but the roads around here go up to 50mph.
I bought the 250 knowing I would eventually trade up. When I am ready. Being a new rider presents a lot of new things to process. Didn't want a bike I had to fight or get me in trouble in a hurry. Haven't been out on the interstate. Riding 55 and above on two lane divided highways always makes me wish for a 6th gear.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Any modern bike under 500cc or so would be fine as far as reliability for a new rider. I suggest you go to a few nearby dealers and just sit on lots of bikes to get a feel for what fits you. If you find you like one, try standing it up and see how heavy it feels. Could you walk it around a parking lot? Almost all bikes cost more to service than a car. Heck there are no $19.95 oil change places for bikes. Unless you do your own work you will find any bike expensive to service.
To hold down costs I would suggest bikes with almost no fairing plastic on them. Plastic is expensive to replace so it will cost more for insurance and it costs money to remove that plastic for routine maintenance too. If you can't see the plugs and oil filter when you walk up to a bike, neither can the mechanic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd vote for the TU250x. Plus, it's fuel-injected.
I have done carb rebuilds for my VW Bug, so I know it's kind of a PITA, but what would be the advantage of F-I vs. Carb in regard to maintanence?

Soupy, Thanks for the Vids!

Thanks for all the replys so far everyone!

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
I like how other countries have their laws where you have to retest for any significant change in bike size. It would prevent alot of beginners that go for the big bikes for style rather than comfort. I've seen a few people start off on 1100's and dump them in a weeks time because the bike was too big for their skill level.
I personally like the freedom of choice that the Constitution gives us here. I don't feel government should be the ones that tell us how, and on what we can spend our money. Next they would tell us what car we can drive and what size house to live in.

I have seen people with tons of experience dump small bikes too, not many, but it does happen.

The bad thing is some people will give up riding, and possibly they should, but that would be their choice. Everybody dumps a bike, if it hasn't happened yet, it will, no matter the skill level.

Four years ago my wife started on a Rebel, today she has been riding a Raider for a year now. She had her dump on a 650, learned a lot and is now a much better rider, complete with nearly 40,000 miles on the seat.

·
Registered
58 Posts
"...what would be the advantage of F-I vs. Carb in regard to maintanence?"

Modern technology! :thumbsup: Not counting the lawn mower, the last time I had a naturally aspirated engine was in my 77 Olds Cutlass Supreme.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I personally like the freedom of choice that the Constitution gives us here. I don't feel government should be the ones that tell us how, and on what we can spend our money. Next they would tell us what car we can drive and what size house to live in.
I can see your point there. It's probably a good idea not to get me going on this subject here....:biggrin:

I know that its not if you go down, it's when you go down. It's bound to happen, and most learn from it. I've done it twice, thankfully at slow speeds, so I'm hoping I got it done and out of the way. The pricker bush hurt enough, don't want road rash.....

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
I can see your point there. It's probably a good idea not to get me going on this subject here....:biggrin:

I know that its not if you go down, it's when you go down. It's bound to happen, and most learn from it. I've done it twice, thankfully at slow speeds, so I'm hoping I got it done and out of the way. The pricker bush hurt enough, don't want road rash.....
No matter what, if you go down it hurts, hopefully it's just pride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
what's y'all opinion on the V-star 250?
I bought one for my first bike 3 months ago and ride it 45 minutes to and from work every day. Granted, I don't take interstates, but I love it. It's enough power to accelerate with the cars (with some left over) but not enough to get in trouble. By trouble I mean I could never accidentally pull the throttle and the bike fly out from under me.

Of course, I'm 5'9" 150lbs., so your mileage may vary. Speaking of mileage, one benefits of the 250 is I average 75mpg. Plus, I like the smaller look of the bike for my size.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts