Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure you guys have answered this many many times before.. but search engines aren't what everyone makes them out to be.

So I want to know what the guys with years of experience have used on their leather to make sure it lasts... If you're a guy that's had the same jacket for 10 to 20 years I want to know your methods and the products you use.

Most everywhere I look is just a sales pitch by the company.. I'd feel much better having true riders opinions.

My jacket is a flat black cafe style jacket with armor in the usual areas, I don't believe the entirety of the jacket is perforated but some areas are, arms, pits, etc..

Lets hear the wisdom

:71baldboy:

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
I've had the same leather jacket for maybe 25 years or more. Last year I rubbed some water-proofing stuff on it, which I bought at a bike event, but other then that I've never done anything to it.

·
Veteran Member
3,201 Posts
I've never treated my HD leather, and it's done the rain thing quite a bit. No problems yet, after 10 years of use. I do use Obenaufs on boots and most other leather products. Conditions and improved water resistance. A jacket is just too big, it would be a lot of product to use. That'd get pricey.

·
Driftless Rider
1,486 Posts
Doc Baileys about once a year. Periodic bug gut removal is with mild dish soap and warm water on a rag.

My riding jacket is also my main winter jacket, so I rarely gets off my back for very long

·
American Legion Rider
18,526 Posts
Never done a thing to my jacket. Boots yes. Mink oil. But I have rain gear. A much better option even though I'm usually wet before I decide I need to put the rain gear on:)

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,802 Posts
I have a thirty year old lambskin aviators leather flight jacket... never done anything but wear it and it's as supple as the day I bought it. :icon_cool:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,443 Posts
Doc, Do you still have the white silk scarf too?

·
6,485 Posts
Mink oil is available at most shoe stores, farm stores or western/ tack stores and is a mainstay of leather maintenance. I have used it for years. It works wonders on new, stiff shoes or boots. leather jackets end up looking new. It also makes leather and vinyl waterproof or at the very least water resistant.

Sam:biggrin:

·
2,802 Posts
Doc, Do you still have the white silk scarf too?
I do! And it's a very special scarf to me. :icon_cool:

It was made from the parachute my uncle used after being shot down over France near the German border. The French underground helped get him out and back to England. He went back out with a new crew and got shot down again, parachuted to safety but was captured by the Germans. He was a POW for 147 days before being liberated by the advancing Allies.

He had scarves made for all his brothers from that first parachute and they are family treasures. ;)

·
2,802 Posts
Mink oil is available at most shoe stores, farm stores or western/ tack stores and is a mainstay of leather maintenance. I have used it for years. It works wonders on new, stiff shoes or boots. leather jackets end up looking new. It also makes leather and vinyl waterproof or at the very least water resistant.

I use mink oil on my boots but it can discolor leather (maybe not on black). It is good stuff but I don't plan to use it on my jacket. :icon_cool:

·
6,485 Posts
God bless your Dad for his service to our country! Is he still with us or with the Lord?

My Dad parachuted in to France, in Cherbourg, with the 101st Screaming Eagles, on "D" day and he and two others were on point crossing a bridge and were shot at by a hidden machine gun placement and all three were hit, two killed but my Dad managed to jump off the bridge into the water and made it to shore. He was shot through the back and the wound cauterized itself, so he didn't bleed to death. He is mentioned by name with the other two in a few books. He was asked to go to France and Germany for the production of "Band of Brothers" but couldn't make it. He died in 2004.

Anyway, Mink oil can make untreated, non-dyed leather become darker, almost like it is wet.

·
2,802 Posts
God bless your Dad for his service to our country! Is he still with us or with the Lord?

Thanks Sam! It was my uncle though (my father's youngest brother). He just went to be with the Lord two weeks ago at 95 years of age.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,443 Posts
Somehow I knew you had one, but I didn't know the significance of it. Glad I asked. Cherish it.

·
American Legion Rider
18,526 Posts

My Dad parachuted in to France, in Cherbourg, with the 101st Screaming Eagles, on "D" day and he and two others were on point crossing a bridge and were shot at by a hidden machine gun placement and all three were hit, two killed but my Dad managed to jump off the bridge into the water and made it to shore. He was shot through the back and the wound cauterized itself, so he didn't bleed to death. He is mentioned by name with the other two in a few books. He was asked to go to France and Germany for the production of "Band of Brothers" but couldn't make it. He died in 2004.

Anyway, Mink oil can make untreated, non-dyed leather become darker, almost like it is wet.

Wasn't my dad but my uncle was in the 101st as well. Jumped into the mess at the battle of the bulge. He was in communications and was first to jump. Radioed back saying don't jump. The Nazi's were using those cricket things and he said they were everywhere. They jumped anyway and he said it was a slaughterhouse. He got out with two frozen feet. Many many times he said he wished he'd been shot with the rest of his troop. People forget about the scars that don't show.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I favour dubbing you should be able to get it at any leather goods shop,even use it on my saddle bags good stuff just a bit of elbow grease is needed.:unamused::grinning:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts