Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm Mo, 19 years old, and I'm 6'1'. I'm completely new to the motorcycle world. I love cafe racers, and have been looking into them for about a year now. I have no idea how to choose a bike, or what to look for (other than what I would like it to look like). I've had a lot of practice riding on my little MotoFino 50cc moped, which I've been riding since I was 16 (I've heard that sometimes with riding these, the skill carries over). I don't really know anything about maintenance on bikes, either so something easy. But I'm learning about it!
I want something just for in town (but I will need to take it onto the highway every once in a while).

Does anyone have any help to offer in what kind of bike I should be looking for? I'm just looking for a great first bike, and you guys have all the experience under your belts.
Thanks,
Mo.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I would recommend a single or twin cylinder that is fairly light for the first year or two. (or longer if that works for you)

Most 250 cc motorcycles will do highway speeds, but long distances on the interstate are more comfortable on larger motorcycles.

A basic set of tools and the service manual is highly recommended if you are going to do your own maintenance.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
You should sign up for a rider training course. They'll supply the bike, and you get to learn some GOOD habits right away :)

Also it'll give you a chance to drive a small 250cc sized bike at the course. Once you competed that you'll have a better understanding of what a small bike feels like.

Afterward you may know a bit better what sort of bike to pick for your 1st. I always highly recommend something NOT new to start out with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts