Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I have a 2001 Suzuki Savage and while riding today I completely lost power. I pulled over, tried to start it again and nothing. Turned off the power and sat for a few minutes. Once I did that I was able to start it again. I have gas.

1/2 mile later I lost power again. I'm going about 55 mph, if that matters and the bike is not wet. This happened 14 miles into my ride.

I pulled over and tried the same thing again, nothing. I learned that my insurance doesn't cover bike towing and Allstate motor club does but an hour later they could not find a flatbed. I ended up having to haul it home myself in a truck.

When I got home I recorded the sound I hear when it starts. It's a video but it's really only sound. Does anyone know what this is? I'm charging the battery now. I went for a 40 mile ride a couple weekends ago and have riden it for about 40 miles around town since then.

The audio ... video.

·
Registered
145 Posts
HI

I hear two sounds...a constant rumble like and engine running and then some burst like a starter sound.

Is the bike running the whole time or is the rumble some other background noise?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sound you hear is less than 6 seconds of me holding my fingers down on the starter. It never started.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Must be an electrical problem.

Check the electrical. Battery (which you are charging), charging system (once it is running), etc...

maybe quickly check if you have spark. If you do then I would focus between the starter and the engine. But a bad starter would not stop your ride since the engine was already on.

·
Registered
145 Posts
you need to get the bike running again.

Then you would plug a multimeter to the battery while the engine is running. You should see between 14 and 15V. the more you rev the engine, the higher the voltage getting at the battery.

If the voltage does not increase or increases way too much, it is either the regulator/rectifier or the stator/alternator.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. I charged the battery, it registered as nearly dead when I plugged it in and now after a full charge it is at zero. That's where it should be based on the charger I have.

I'll have to go get a multimeter, is this one acceptable for this purpose? Amazon Digital Multimeter.

And so I understand, if I rev the engine and the voltage goes up quite a bit then it is not the regulator/rectifier or the stator/alternator?

Is the regulator/rectifier also known as the charging system?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
What I would do is to charge up the battery like you did and then take it in and get the battery load tested. When any battery sits around they can just go kaput. I was very impressed when my mom's Buick cranked strong and started after sitting for 9 months. I drove the car for a half hour and went in a store for 15 minutes. The battery was complete trash and so dead that a boost from a AAA battery service truck did no good.
Motorcycle batteries are not nearly the quality as auto batteries,so again,that is the first thing I would check.

·
Registered
145 Posts
that multimeter is good and cheap :) enough for your purpose.

But your battery sounds dead. If after charging you still have a hard time getting the starter to kick, time for a new battery.

Once you got the battery sorted out, definitely check it is getting charged when the bike is running or you will be back to square one.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank yoy. Got a full charge and started right up. The headlamp doesn't go dimmer or brighter when I rev the engine. Going to buy that multimeter and start there. Thank you all for you help.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the multimeter. Just to be sure before I go causing any trouble, measuring the volts is not like measuring AMPS right? In other words, I measure AMPS in line and if I don't I can be toast, but volts I measure the positive and negative at the same time, right?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Dansmc is the bomb...very good site with lots of info.

you are right no amps, set the multimeter to 12 V and + with + of battery and - with - of battery.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I did the test, battery was at nearly 12v before I revved the engine. Then it went up to just under 14v. After a few tests I couldn't restart the bike. It just clicks.

Edit: called my mechanic, he was concerned if I lost all power as in the lights on the gauges and such. I did not so that is a little less of a concern. Still a concern nonetheless. After turning it on and off about 4 times I should not hear just a clicking noise. Hoping after it sits all weekend and the rest of the week it will start up and I can ride it to him instead of loading it on my truck, again.

He mentioned a solenoid (sp) and said that 14v is about the most I'll get from the little bike. Hoping this bike doesn't cost me a bundle to repair though. :eek:
Thank you all for the help, it's been invaluable.

·
Registered
145 Posts
easy way to check the solenoid.

be ready to see some sparks! take a screwdriver or any flat metal with a insulated handle (important so you don't get zapped).

you will see on the solenoid two bolts, put the screwdriver across so that they both touch the screwdriver. The starter should spin (make sure you are in neutral)

If it does, new solenoids can be found for around $20/30.

If not, then you need to chase gremlins around. I just went through this, and found a pinched cable running from the clutch switch to the solenoid.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I finally took it in when it died. An oil change, filter, brand new battery and it's all good. I got the best battery money could buy. Evidently it was $90. all in all it was $210 out the door for everything.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts