Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone in north of Pittsburgh area would be interested in a community motorcycle garage? They sound like a cool idea to meet and hang out get some ideas on troubleshooting bike problems, a place to work on your bike, organizing rides and having a place to store the bike for the winter, if you can get the right people

·
Very Famous Person
9,840 Posts
--

That kind of group is called a Bike Club! If I wanted to start a bike club, I would do it through dealers in the area. Or maybe there are some clubs already.

--

·
Registered
166 Posts
Community bicycle shops are quite common, no reason such a concept for a motorcycle shop should not work. The bicycle version usually has tools and equipment plus volunteer experts to help the cyclist repair their machines. I have given time to such places. They are not clubs, they are intended to promote cycling and in this case motorcycling.

J

·
American Legion Rider
21,150 Posts
There was a guy actively pursuing this concept on here. Gathered input from several of us. Can't remember who or where. Maybe Chicago? Anyone else remember this? I know Dods and Eye both gave him input but they no longer are here.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
There was a guy actively pursuing this concept on here. Gathered input from several of us. Can't remember who or where. Maybe Chicago? Anyone else remember this? I know Dods and Eye both gave him input but they no longer are here.
I remember it well, and it was in Chicago. The trouble is, the guy just seemed obsessed with planning it to death and more and more fundraising. I am almost positive it never got off the ground. Someone has to be in charge of these things with safety rules needing to be enforced and theft prevention of tools. What could possibly go wrong when you have someone removing a [full ]gas tank and the next bay over someone is cutting the tabs off a frame for a cafe' racer?

But it is being done in places.DIY: The Next Thing in Moto-Shops? « MotorcycleDaily.com ? Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews

·
Moderator - Like a crazy cat lady but with bikes!
1,172 Posts
Community Motorcycle Garages are awesome. Some of these also exist for cars, too. Sadly the problem with them is money. Insurance and tools cost a fortune and you either need a colossal pool of members or higher prices (which then can reduce the number of members) to cover it all just enough to break even.

Community Motorcycle Garage ? A global map of the world's Community Motorcycle Garages & DIY Motorcycle Garages

It's great because say you need to paint your bike or change your clutch, but you live in an apartment? Well you just roll up to one of these shops, rent out a bay, and have access to all the tools you'll ever need and there will often be some expert there who could help you out if you get stuck.

·
Very Famous Person
9,840 Posts
--

As with so many things, it all comes down to one big one. Money. It costs a bundle considering rent, tools, insurance, monitoring, advice, and incidentals. Not to figure in dedication of one or more individuals. Not an easy project.

One thing here is that an awful lot of mc enthusiasts are loners and not really into group projects. Just saying.

--

·
Ace Tuner
2,354 Posts
How in the wold would you (the shop) keep from having your tools and equipment stolen?
Not only that but what about unintentional damage of expensive shop equipment?
Do they have a full time shop manager there to police EVERYTHING and EVERYBODY every second of every day?

At a dealership I worked at a customer didn't believe the service tech when he said the guys stator was bad so the customer wanted to check it himself.
I was asked to roll the bike out of the shop so the guy could do his own testing.
I told the guy the fuel lines were open and it will pump fuel when he does the dynamic stator test.
So of course I had to put out the resulting fire.

Yeah slumlord, what could possibly go wrong...

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Community Motorcycle Garages are awesome. Some of these also exist for cars, too. Sadly the problem with them is money. Insurance and tools cost a fortune and you either need a colossal pool of members or higher prices (which then can reduce the number of members) to cover it all just enough to break even.

Community Motorcycle Garage ? A global map of the world's Community Motorcycle Garages & DIY Motorcycle Garages

It's great because say you need to paint your bike or change your clutch, but you live in an apartment? Well you just roll up to one of these shops, rent out a bay, and have access to all the tools you'll ever need and there will often be some expert there who could help you out if you get stuck.
Awesome that you found that list, MM. I spent a little time reading about the one in Nashville TN and it looks like they will make a real go at it. Their business model is a full time shop and they rent extra space by the month, pretty much. The advantage to that is committed wrenchers and not people just stopping in. One thing some of these MC garages do is have dedicated lifts for their service bays. Not Necessary! just make some carts or fixed MC tables or get some used postal carts that will hold 2200 pounds and load the bikes on and off them with just one quality MC lift. I do that in my personal shop and it is great to keep multiple projects moving when waiting for parts.

I have a garage or two in a near by town that I keep securely locked and I suppose that many a gear head would be happy to rent them. I had a great experience with a neighboring tenant not on my property renting out one of them to wrench on his bikes. If I permit my own tenants access to them, often as not, they think they are entitled to fill them with trash bags or worse... I do tend to keep an extra bike stashed inside my maintenance storage garage and can go for a ride when working on the apartments.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Moto garage shaumberg Illinois

MotoGarage | Community DIY Motorcycle Garage

I am pretty sure this is the concept garage that was on our forum looking for ideas. It looks like they are still evolving and considering change. Compared to some of the other garages, the rates are very reasonable. If I had a bike in the city, the full membership that includes storage looks like a bargain at 100.00 a month for someone living in an apartment with no bikes permitted. Remember I said iF i was in a city. I would not be interested ever in city living.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts